Alvin Meadows - Idyllwild, CA ~Video~

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Michael Paul, May 28, 2003.

  1. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    Saturday, 5 friends (Sorni, Miles Todd, MTBBill, et. al) and I decided to journey up to Idyllwild to
    ride the control roads and surrounding areas. Since only one of us had been there before, we figured
    it'd be a great chance to explore and hit some new trails

    When we left San Diego, the weather was crappy but as soon as we gained some elevation the skies
    cleared up and we knew it would be a warm one.

    As I found out, the rides in that area are basically a bunch of short loops that you just connect
    however you feel. We ended up looping by the vehicles two different times although we only stopped
    one time for a snack. The trails up there are all fantastic. Smoother than the rocky stuff we're
    usually riding in SD so that was a nice treat. Another bonus was being able to ride through the
    trees which are a definate scarcity in most of SD (The cuyamaca's are the exception of course)

    The best thing about these trails is that all of the downhills are singletrack and the connecting
    trail back up the hill is a grind it out fireroad. So, you have all of the fun on the donwhills and
    the incentive just to get the climb over with on the uphills.

    One trail that our leader wanted to try was called the Webster trail. He scoped it out on maps and
    from some online sources and this trail was supposed to be a singletrack all the way from the top of
    the hill down to a stream running in the canyon below. There was supposed to be a fireroad just a
    stones' throw away from the bottom so we'd have a grunt back out. Well, about halfway down the ST we
    though that the trail didn't get ridden very much. About 2/3 of the way down (and you'll notice some
    of this in the video) we started thinking that this trail not only didn't get ridden much, it didn't
    get hiked much either!

    AT the stream, we had to wade over the boulders through the stream (in cycling shoes no less!) and
    "try" to find the trail. after about 30 minutes of stumbling through poison oak we finally found the
    trail. By trail, I do mean the "flat" section of the hill that was still covered with grass and
    other vegetation.

    The "trail" went up and up and up. It was not a ridable climb so we pushed and pushed and pushed
    some more. By now the temperature was in the 90's and we began conserving water (why we didn't have
    any water tablets with us I'm not sure, but I think it probably has to do with the fact that there's
    rarely water in any southern CA streams so nobody thought to bring any).

    After at least an hour and 15 minutes of pushing we got to the fireroad and saw the creek way down
    below. A brief rest and we started riding again. Boy did this hurt. About 15 minutes into the climb,
    I was the second to last rider to run out of water. Because it was a fireroad, the grade was pretty
    constant but it still hurt and it seemed to go up forever.

    Finally, we rounded a turn and saw the cars. It's been a while since I've been that happy to see the
    vehicles at the end of a ride but I knew that as whipped as I felt, I still had a wonderful day on
    the trails. No major issues on the 5+ hour ride/hike other than two flats by the same rider so
    overall the expedition was a success.

    These trails weren't technical but were an absolute blast to ride. The downhill speeds were never
    that high either. So, I opted not to make a rock video by using fast heavy music on this one. I
    found the trails sort of meditative so i went with music that followed that theme. I thought it
    worked so I hope you do too.

    Thanks to Mr. Porter for hosting the video yet again. Bill also has a page for this ride on his web
    site at http://www.mountainbikebill.com with far better trail directions than I could ever give (if
    you want to get horribly lost, hten let me know and I'll post my directions).

    see the video at http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AlvinMeadows.mpg

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Saturday, 5 friends (Sorni, Miles Todd, MTBBill, et. al) and I decided to journey up to Idyllwild
    > to ride the control roads and surrounding areas. Since only one of us had been there before, we
    > figured it'd be a great chance to explore and hit some new trails

    {Hugh Jass Memorial Snippage}

    > see the video at
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AlvinMeadows.mpg

    Nice write-up and footage, MP. Some potential titles might include:

    "A Tale of Two Rides"

    "From Blast to Gassed"

    "Heaven & Hell In One Day"

    "Ninety Bucks for BURGERS???"

    "More Pricks In Our Socks Than A Lawyer Convention"

    (I *could* go on :)

    The memorable thing, to me, is that after some really fun "cruising"-type riding (plus grinding
    fireroad climbs), the "Webster Excursion" was an Epic Ordeal in itself. Like you said, we hiked &
    pushed for well over an hour getting out of that valley (with water-logged shoes full of grit 'n
    stuff), only to then have ANOTHER hour or so of climbing! How did we get that low???

    Bill "itchy legs" S.

  3. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Bill Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 29 May 2003 03:34:18 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    <SNIP Sorni's comments, 'cuz nobody actually reads them anyway!>

    > After looking at the map and the route we took on the Webster Trail, it had us cashing out 1950'
    > of elevation in 2.25 miles down to the creek.. Pretty steep! It was only 1.10 miles from where we
    > went down into the creek bed until we where back up at the fireroad. Of course we know that was a
    > hard mile. The 3/4 mile of actually going up hill was about a 16 percent grade with a gain of just
    > under 600feet.
    >
    > What Michael left out of his RR is that I was the leader of this excursion and some of the riders
    > where not exactly happy about the truly PITA hike-a-bike coming out of bottom of the Webster
    > Trail. I made it a point to be well ahead of the group while we truded ourselves and bikes up the
    > skinny overgrown singletrack up the hill. I could not help but think they were plotting my demise
    > back behind. A couple of folks yelled up some "words of encouragement" to help me keep up the
    > lead. Lucky for me everyone had a "That was not so bad" attitude after we got out of the canyon.
    > Besides that I was pretty sure they where too tired to make a useful attempt at my demise:) Then
    > again I was too tired to defend myself :)
    >
    > Bill "It just a little further" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Well, I can accept that the hike was only a touch more than a mile because we all sort of knew it
    was shorter than it felt. Of course, it was made worse by the fact that we couldn't find the trail
    at all for a while, and portaging over the rocks in the stream was no simple feat either.

    There was definately some plotting in our group when you were out in front, but you're right, we
    were just too damn pooped when we caught up with you to do anything. Plus, we seemed to have
    forgotten our tar and feathers back at home so we'll just have that to look forward to next time!

    1,900 feet down is pretty healthy indeed. Do you know what the total gain was on that ride?

    Michael

  4. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 19:32:11 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    <SNIP>
    >1,900 feet down is pretty healthy indeed. Do you know what the total gain was on that ride?
    >
    >Michael

    All total about 4,000 feet. It sure felt like more. Maybe because you do all the climbing in just a
    few "sets"

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 19:56:19 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:

    >>1,900 feet down is pretty healthy indeed. Do you know what the total gain was on that ride?
    >>
    > All total about 4,000 feet. It sure felt like more. Maybe because you do all the climbing in just
    > a few "sets"

    Yikes! I hope you're not looking for anything like that up here! That'd friggin kill me, what with
    the shape I'm in this year.