Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this family's strategies?

In article <[email protected]>,
michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Wright wrote
>>>9. Water - Dehydration effects proper brain function, and most of
>>>us walk around in this condition every day without even realizing it.

>> No, we don't. If we did, we would be thirsty. OK, I'll make an
>> exception for some older people, in whom the sense of thirst may
>> have become weaker, but the notion that "most of us" are dehydrated
>> is a medical urban legend.

>No, it has a basis in fact
>
> Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1988;57(2):220-4
>
>Improved thermoregulation caused by forced water intake in human desert
>dwellers.

I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller,
and I assume that most of our readership would say the same.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

In article <[email protected]>, Tim Tyler <[email protected]> wrote:
>In sci.life-extension David Wright <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
>> Matt <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >9. Water - Dehydration effects proper brain function, and most of
>> >us walk around in this condition every day without even realizing it.

>> No, we don't. If we did, we would be thirsty. OK, I'll make an
>> exception for some older people, in whom the sense of thirst may have
>> become weaker, but the notion that "most of us" are dehydrated is a
>> medical urban legend.

>...perpetuated by studies like this one:
>
>``The Nationwide Food Consumption Surveys indicate that a portion of the
> population may be chronically mildly dehydrated. Several factors may
> increase the likelihood of chronic, mild dehydration, including a poor
> thirst mechanism, dissatisfaction with the taste of water, common
> consumption of the natural diuretics caffeine and alcohol,
> participation in exercise, and environmental conditions. Dehydration of
> as little as 2% loss of body weight results in impaired physiological and
> performance responses.''

"A portion" of the population is remarkably vague. In fact, it's so
vague as to be useless.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

In article <[email protected]>,
michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>David Wright wrote

>>> No, it has a basis in fact
>>>
>>> Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1988;57(2):220-4
>>>
>>> Improved thermoregulation caused by forced water intake in
>>> human desert dwellers.

>> I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller,
>> and I assume that most of our readership would say the same.

>Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient
>to drive optimal rehydration under some circumstances.
>This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably
>dehydrated under less extreme circumstances.

No, at best it's a warning that we could be. If you're a desert
dweller, you're going to be far more aware of water, and its scarcity,
than will some city dweller who has an unlimited supply from the
nearest faucet. It's bound to influence your behavior. I don't
suffer from the symptoms the article mentioned and I don't believe
that most other people do either. The whole "8 glasses of water per
day" thing is a myth.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>,
> michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:
>>David Wright wrote
>>>
>>> No, we don't. If we did, we would be thirsty. OK, I'll make an
>>> exception for some older people, in whom the sense of thirst may
>>> have become weaker, but the notion that "most of us" are dehydrated
>>> is a medical urban legend.

>> No, it has a basis in fact
>>
>> Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1988;57(2):220-4
>>
>> Improved thermoregulation caused by forced water intake in
>> human desert dwellers.

> I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller,
> and I assume that most of our readership would say the same.

Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient
to drive optimal rehydration under some circumstances.
This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably
dehydrated under less extreme circumstances.

Cheers,
Michael C Price
http://mcp.longevity-report.com
http://www.hedweb.com/manworld.htm

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:
> >David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller,
> >> and I assume that most of our readership would say the same.

> >Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient
> >to drive optimal rehydration under some circumstances.
> >This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably
> >dehydrated under less extreme circumstances.

> No, at best it's a warning that we could be. If you're a desert
> dweller, you're going to be far more aware of water, and its scarcity,
> than will some city dweller who has an unlimited supply from the
> nearest faucet. It's bound to influence your behavior. I don't
> suffer from the symptoms the article mentioned and I don't believe
> that most other people do either. The whole "8 glasses of water per
> day" thing is a myth.

I might tend to agree with you about the 8 glasses, but I also believe that
most of us do not drink enough water. I know that when I do remind myself
to drink enough, I also have more energy and generally feel better. Most
people drink coffee, tea, soda, but not in enough of a quantity to truly
quench thirst. Also many people interpret the feeling for thirst as hunger
and will eat instead of drink. Most treated (city) water tastes disgusting
and people will intuitively not drink their fill. It is a good idea to
remind oneself to drink more water, though I would not go so far as to say
that it causes any kind of illness not to.
--
Evelyn

(To reply to me personally, remove sox)

"michaelprice" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient
> to drive optimal rehydration under some circumstances.
> This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably
> dehydrated under less extreme circumstances.

Those "some circumstances" are "circumstances in which one is losing water
rapidly," usually due to heavy sweating and less frequently due to
diarrhea. In those circumstances, relying on thirst is a bad idea because
the water loss is likely to continue and any water consumed when thirst
sets in won't be absorbed instantaneously. But it's invalid to extrapolate
from circumstances involving heavy, prolonged water loss to normal
circumstances. Under normal circumstances, someone who drinks when they're
thirsty will restore their fluid balance pretty quickly.

Eric Bohlman <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
> "michaelprice" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not
> > sufficient to drive optimal rehydration under some circumstances.
> > This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably
> > dehydrated under less extreme circumstances.

> Those "some circumstances" are "circumstances in which one is losing water
> rapidly," usually due to heavy sweating and less frequently due to
> diarrhea. In those circumstances, relying on thirst is a bad idea because
> the water loss is likely to continue and any water consumed when thirst
> sets in won't be absorbed instantaneously. But it's invalid to extrapolate
> from circumstances involving heavy, prolonged water loss to normal
> circumstances. Under normal circumstances, someone who drinks when
> they're thirsty will restore their fluid balance pretty quickly.

When you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated ;-)
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:
> >David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller,
> >> and I assume that most of our readership would say the same.

> >Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient
> >to drive optimal rehydration under some circumstances.
> >This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably
> >dehydrated under less extreme circumstances.

> No, at best it's a warning that we could be. If you're a desert
> dweller, you're going to be far more aware of water, and its scarcity,
> than will some city dweller who has an unlimited supply from the
> nearest faucet.

The people in the study had free access to water. As they say
"It is suggested that spontaneous voluntary water drinking in desert
dwellers is not enough to achieve a true state of "euhydration"."

Drinking water, in the past, was a health risk (parasites, water-hole
predation etc) which evolution traded off against the benefits by duilling
our thrist mechanism.

Cheers,
Michael C Price
http://mcp.longevity-report.com
http://www.hedweb.com/manworld.htm

Once upon a time, our fellow Tim Tyler
rambled on about "Re: Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this
family's strategies?."
Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>When you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated ;-)

Citations?
--
John Gohde,
Feeling Great and Better than Ever!

Alternative medicine was yesterday's quackery, is today's
complementary medicine, and will be tomorrow's new branch of medicine.
http://tutorials.naturalhealthperspective.com/glossary.html

John 'the Man' <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
> Once upon a time, our fellow Tim Tyler [wrote]:

> >When you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated ;-)

> Citations?

``Dehydration-induced drinking in humans

[...] Unlike some mammals, humans have a delay in rehydration
(involuntary dehydration) after fluid loss. Two factors unique to
humans that probably contribute to involuntary dehydration are
1) upright posture and 2) extracellular fluid and electrolyte loss
by sweating from exercise and heat exposure.''

- http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=7044832
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

"michaelprice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:

it.

> > >Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient
> > >to drive optimal rehydration under some circumstances.
> > >This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably
> > >dehydrated under less extreme circumstances.

> > No, at best it's a warning that we could be. If you're a desert
> > dweller, you're going to be far more aware of water, and its scarcity,
> > than will some city dweller who has an unlimited supply from the
> > nearest faucet.

> The people in the study had free access to water. As they say
> "It is suggested that spontaneous voluntary water drinking in desert
> dwellers is not enough to achieve a true state of "euhydration"."
>
> Drinking water, in the past, was a health risk (parasites, water-hole
> predation etc) which evolution traded off against the benefits by duilling
> our thrist mechanism.

There's another problem in some older guys with
benign prostatic hyperplasia: they get tired of pee-
ing every 15-30 minutes, and so they consciously
restrict their water intake.

George W. Cherry

[email protected] (Baird Stafford) wrote in message news:<1g8ja1e.19ehhxczmczycN%[email protected]>...
> Matt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > 2. Vitamin E - A powerful anti-oxidant believed to be the most
> > important of all vitamins in preventing Alzheimer's. Most research
> > supports taking well above the daily recommended dosage. I take 1,000
> > mg. twice a day.

> Be careful with the E! High doses of this vitamin act as an effective
> blood-thinner, and should not be taken without medical supervision if
> one is already taking a prescribed blood thinner!
>
> <snip>
>
> > 6. Aluminum - Avoid ingesting it. Aluminum shows up in the
> > autopsies of Alzheimer's victims' brains. There toxic properties may
> > contribute to the destruction of brain cells. Minimize your use of
> > soda cans and aluminum cook ware. Watch for traces of harmful metals
> > in your antacid and other over-the-counter drugs.

> I'm still waiting for a study on this one to indicate whether the
> elevated levels of aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer's victims are the
> cause of the disease or an effect of it. However, since the chances in
> my estimation are fifty-fifty either way, I choose to avoid it....
>
> <snip>
>
> Blessed be,
> Baird

In reading the posts in this thread I am surprised that no one has
commented on one very real way aluminum gets into our bodies and,
perhaps, our brains.

During the 60's, the elderly suffered from "senility" while we were
using phosphates in our detergents to wash our clothes.

Now we use zeolites to wash our clothes ( among many other things )
and the elderly suffer from alzhiemers.

Zeolites ( molecular sieves ) are very small crystals capable of ion
exchange reactions which makes them useable for detergents, and are
also very thirsty molecules since they can absorb water very well.

We substituted zeolites for phosphates in the 60s. Have we exchanged
alzheimers for senility in the process?

The problem is that zeolites are not water soluble nor filterable by
modern water processers. Thus, the chemicals are in our water. Also,
these chemicals are added to coffee creamers ( look for sodium alumino
silicate ) to salt and other food stuffs to reduce caking since the
FDA thinks that they are safe to consume whithout telling you that you
are consuming them. However, in the human stomach, with its high HCL
content, these insoluble zeolites will be converted to water soluble
aluminum halides and possibly made blood soluble and able to penetrate
the blood brain barrier.

If this is true, you and I will have one hard time avoiding the
consequences of "Z E O L I T E " poisoning by consuming much of what
the modern food industry provides.

DrC PhD.

The doctor of the future will give no poisonous medicine in the vain
attempt to poison the sick into getting well.

The doctor of the future will interest the patient in the care of the
human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease, and
a medical theory which will not include bacteria, viruses,
retro-viruses, or prions as the cause of such diseases.

What is next weeks section of the periodic chart to be blamed? Why not
stick to alt.moron.idiot to post your rant of the day?

In sci.life-extension David Wright <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
> In article <[email protected]>, Tim Tyler <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> No, we don't. If we did, we would be thirsty. OK, I'll make an
> >> exception for some older people, in whom the sense of thirst may have
> >> become weaker, but the notion that "most of us" are dehydrated is a
> >> medical urban legend.

> >...perpetuated by studies like this one:
> >
> >``The Nationwide Food Consumption Surveys indicate that a portion of the
> > population may be chronically mildly dehydrated. Several factors may
> > increase the likelihood of chronic, mild dehydration, including a poor
> > thirst mechanism, dissatisfaction with the taste of water, common
> > consumption of the natural diuretics caffeine and alcohol,
> > participation in exercise, and environmental conditions. Dehydration of
> > as little as 2% loss of body weight results in impaired physiological and
> > performance responses.''

> "A portion" of the population is remarkably vague. In fact, it's so
> vague as to be useless.

Slightly more specific:

``Relatively few studies have attempted to estimate people?s
actual water intakes. Stookey noted that the ?limited
evidence suggests that water intakes may vary considerably,
and that a sizeable proportion of Western adults may have
sub-optimal intakes? (ie chronically mildly dehydrated). [1]

A US nationwide dietary survey 1977-98 showed that the
median drinking water intake was less than one-third of the
recommended total amount.[2]

Stumbo et al [3] studied water intakes of lactating women and found
that one-third of their subjects had inadequate water intake ?
consuming less than 1ml water/kcal of energy expenditure.

[...]

[1] Stookey JD. Another look at fuel + O2 ! CO2 + H2O.
Developing a water-orinted perspective. Medical Hypotheses
1999;52:285-290

[2] United States Department of Agriculture, Consumer
Nutrition Division, Human Nutrition Information Service.
Nutrient Intakes: individuals in 48 states, Year 1977-78
(Nationwide Food Consumption Survey 1977-78, Report I-2)
Washington DC: US Government Printing Office, 1984,

[3] Stumbo PJ, Booth BM, Eichenberger JM, Dusdieker LB.
Water intakes of lactating women. Am J Clin Nutr
1985;42:870-876''

- http://www.rsph.org/water/water and health.pdf

[1] seems to be available:

``[...] Water intake and hydration status can vary considerably, and may
be inadequate for a sizeable proportion of Western adults. Due to the
metabolic adaptations required to compensate for perpetually inadequate
water, chronic sub-optimal water intakes may be highly relevant to
chronic disease etiology. Preliminary evidence links water-oriented
metabolism to obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension
and cancer. [...]''

- http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=10465663
--
__________

In article <[email protected]>, drceephd wrote:
> [email protected] (Baird Stafford) wrote in message news:<1g8ja1e.19ehhxczmczycN%[email protected]>...
>> Matt <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > 2. Vitamin E - A powerful anti-oxidant believed to be the most
>> > important of all vitamins in preventing Alzheimer's. Most research
>> > supports taking well above the daily recommended dosage. I take 1,000
>> > mg. twice a day.

>> Be careful with the E! High doses of this vitamin act as an effective
>> blood-thinner, and should not be taken without medical supervision if
>> one is already taking a prescribed blood thinner!
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > 6. Aluminum - Avoid ingesting it. Aluminum shows up in the
>> > autopsies of Alzheimer's victims' brains. There toxic properties may
>> > contribute to the destruction of brain cells. Minimize your use of
>> > soda cans and aluminum cook ware. Watch for traces of harmful metals
>> > in your antacid and other over-the-counter drugs.

>> I'm still waiting for a study on this one to indicate whether the
>> elevated levels of aluminum in the brains of Alzheimer's victims are the
>> cause of the disease or an effect of it. However, since the chances in
>> my estimation are fifty-fifty either way, I choose to avoid it....
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Blessed be,
>> Baird

> In reading the posts in this thread I am surprised that no one has
> commented on one very real way aluminum gets into our bodies and,
> perhaps, our brains.
>
> During the 60's, the elderly suffered from "senility" while we were
> using phosphates in our detergents to wash our clothes.
>
> Now we use zeolites to wash our clothes ( among many other things )
> and the elderly suffer from alzhiemers.
>
> Zeolites ( molecular sieves ) are very small crystals capable of ion
> exchange reactions which makes them useable for detergents, and are
> also very thirsty molecules since they can absorb water very well.
>
> We substituted zeolites for phosphates in the 60s. Have we exchanged
> alzheimers for senility in the process?
>
> The problem is that zeolites are not water soluble nor filterable by
> modern water processers. Thus, the chemicals are in our water. Also,
> these chemicals are added to coffee creamers ( look for sodium alumino
> silicate ) to salt and other food stuffs to reduce caking since the
> FDA thinks that they are safe to consume whithout telling you that you
> are consuming them. However, in the human stomach, with its high HCL
> content, these insoluble zeolites will be converted to water soluble
> aluminum halides and possibly made blood soluble and able to penetrate
> the blood brain barrier.
>
> If this is true, you and I will have one hard time avoiding the
> consequences of "Z E O L I T E " poisoning by consuming much of what
> the modern food industry provides.

Presenting some actual evidence would be rather helpful!

>Subject: Re: Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this family's
>strategies?
>From: "Nightwing" [email protected]
>Date: 2/4/04 11:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

>What is next weeks section of the periodic chart to be blamed? Why not
>stick to alt.moron.idiot to post your rant of the day?

Casting pearls of wisdom before swine is never thought to bear fruit.

You grunt somewhere else.

DrC PhD

The doctor of the future will give no poisonous medicine in the vain attempt to
poison the sick into getting well.

The doctor of the future will interest the patient in the care of the human
frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease, and a medical
theory which will not include bacteria, viruses, retro-viruses, or prions as
the cause of such diseases.

>Subject: Re: Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this family's
>strategies?
>From: Ignoramus11765 [email protected]lid
>Date: 2/5/04 11:41 AM Eastern Standard Time

>Presenting some actual evidence would be rather helpful!

Experience won't work but bogus studies will be accepted as evidence? Nada!!

I have worked in the zeolite industry for 10 years. I have studied and worked
in the health area for 40. You have just been treated to the opinion of an
"expert" at no cost to you.

I am hoping to fuel someones thought processes and maybe help keep our medical
research focused on the truthful path.

DRCEEPHD <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Subject: Re: Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this family's
>>strategies?
>>From: Ignoramus11765 [email protected]lid
>>Date: 2/5/04 11:41 AM Eastern Standard Time

>>Presenting some actual evidence would be rather helpful!

>Experience won't work but bogus studies will be accepted as evidence? Nada!!
>

>I have worked in the zeolite industry for 10 years. I have studied and worked
>in the health area for 40.

Mopping the floors does not make you a real participant, nor does your
phantom "PhD."

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

"John 'the Man'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Once upon a time, our fellow Matt
> rambled on about "Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this
> family's strategies?."
> Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...
>
> >My aunt has compiled the following "rules of thumb" that my family
> >uses for our Alzheimer's prevention diet.

> Just about everything has been linked to causing Alzheimer's Disease.
> There is no compiling proof that diet is the primary factor.
>
> In my opinion, the best prevention is using your brain, not watching
> television all day, and getting plenty of exercise.

Unfortunately there is plenty of evidence that doesnt work either, for
example my dad exervised regularily every day, and the well known author
Iris Murdoch who was certainly intellectually active, died from Az.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

"DRCEEPHD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Re: Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this family's
> >strategies?
> >From: Ignoramus11765 [email protected]lid
> >Date: 2/5/04 11:41 AM Eastern Standard Time

> >Presenting some actual evidence would be rather helpful!

> Experience won't work but bogus studies will be accepted as evidence?

Nada!!

> I have worked in the zeolite industry for 10 years. I have studied and

worked
> in the health area for 40. You have just been treated to the opinion of

an
> "expert" at no cost to you.

C, you are lying. And, lurkers note, you won't present even a morsel of
evidence to the contrary.

Le 3