Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this family's strategies?

Alf Christophersen wrote...

> One problem with betaine is that it is quite osmotic active and activated aldose reductase which
> produce sorbitol from glucose in cells, which is also osmotic active and are very little mobile
> over membranes since it is sterically hindered to pass the Cl-regulated channel that do release
> taurine and beta-alanine when cell is volume or osmotically challenged (hypoosmosis), the
> increased sorbitol steady-state concentration if rate of turnover is not increased in parallell
> with synthesis will increase osmotic pressure inside and thus force taurine and betaine to leave
> cell thus making lack of protection against hyperhomocysteinamia and lack of protection against
> uncontrolled glycation, eg. by lysine of fructose to form an Amadori product 1-amino-1-
> deoxyfructose lysine adduct) which most possibly taurine may prevent to be formed by substituting
> lysine in the normal reaction since normally, taurine will be in great excess as free amino acid
> in cells (maybe one of the reasons intake of free amino acids may be hazardous, while intake of
> taurine is not dangerous at all since that will increase protection against formation of such
> derangeous products as AGEs.

Alf,

That was a bit difficult to follow, but what happens to people (like us) who supplement 2 grams of
taurine a day in addition to a moderate amount of betaine?

--
John de Hoog http://dehoog.org

In article <[email protected]>,
michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Wright wrote
>>>9. Water - Dehydration effects proper brain function, and most of us walk around in this
>>> condition every day without even realizing it.
>>
>> No, we don't. If we did, we would be thirsty. OK, I'll make an exception for some older people,
>> in whom the sense of thirst may have become weaker, but the notion that "most of us" are
>> dehydrated is a medical urban legend.
>
>No, it has a basis in fact
>
> Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1988;57(2):220-4
>
>Improved thermoregulation caused by forced water intake in human desert dwellers.

I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller, and I assume that most of our
readership would say the same.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

In article <[email protected]>, Tim Tyler <[email protected]> wrote:
>In sci.life-extension David Wright <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
>> Matt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> >9. Water - Dehydration effects proper brain function, and most of us walk around in this
>> > condition every day without even realizing it.
>>
>> No, we don't. If we did, we would be thirsty. OK, I'll make an exception for some older people,
>> in whom the sense of thirst may have become weaker, but the notion that "most of us" are
>> dehydrated is a medical urban legend.
>
>...perpetuated by studies like this one:
>
>``The Nationwide Food Consumption Surveys indicate that a portion of the population may be
>chronically mildly dehydrated. Several factors may increase the likelihood of chronic, mild
>dehydration, including a poor thirst mechanism, dissatisfaction with the taste of water, common
>consumption of the natural diuretics caffeine and alcohol, participation in exercise, and
>environmental conditions. Dehydration of as little as 2% loss of body weight results in impaired
>physiological and performance responses.''

"A portion" of the population is remarkably vague. In fact, it's so vague as to be useless.

David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>, michaelprice
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>David Wright wrote
>>>
>>> No, we don't. If we did, we would be thirsty. OK, I'll make an exception for some older people,
>>> in whom the sense of thirst may have become weaker, but the notion that "most of us" are
>>> dehydrated is a medical urban legend.
>>
>> No, it has a basis in fact
>>
>> Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1988;57(2):220-4
>>
>> Improved thermoregulation caused by forced water intake in human desert dwellers.
>
> I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller, and I assume that most of our
> readership would say the same.

Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient to drive optimal rehydration
under some circumstances. This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably dehydrated under
less extreme circumstances.

Cheers, Michael C Price
http://mcp.longevity-report.com http://www.hedweb.com/manworld.htm

In article <[email protected]>,
michaelprice <[email protected]> wrote:
>David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> In article <[email protected]>, michaelprice
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>David Wright wrote

>>> No, it has a basis in fact
>>>
>>> Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1988;57(2):220-4
>>>
>>> Improved thermoregulation caused by forced water intake in human desert dwellers.
>>
>> I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller, and I assume that most of our
>> readership would say the same.
>
>Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient to drive optimal rehydration
>under some circumstances. This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably dehydrated under
>less extreme circumstances.

No, at best it's a warning that we could be. If you're a desert dweller, you're going to be far more
aware of water, and its scarcity, than will some city dweller who has an unlimited supply from the
nearest faucet. It's bound to influence your behavior. I don't suffer from the symptoms the article
mentioned and I don't believe that most other people do either. The whole "8 glasses of water per
day" thing is a myth.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, michaelprice
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller, and I assume that most of
> >> our readership would say the same.
> >
> >Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient to drive optimal rehydration
> >under some circumstances. This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably dehydrated
> >under less extreme circumstances.
>
> No, at best it's a warning that we could be. If you're a desert dweller, you're going to be far
> more aware of water, and its scarcity, than will some city dweller who has an unlimited supply
> from the nearest faucet. It's bound to influence your behavior. I don't suffer from the symptoms
> the article mentioned and I don't believe that most other people do either. The whole "8 glasses
> of water per day" thing is a myth.

I might tend to agree with you about the 8 glasses, but I also believe that most of us do not drink
enough water. I know that when I do remind myself to drink enough, I also have more energy and
generally feel better. Most people drink coffee, tea, soda, but not in enough of a quantity to truly
quench thirst. Also many people interpret the feeling for thirst as hunger and will eat instead of
drink. Most treated (city) water tastes disgusting and people will intuitively not drink their fill.
It is a good idea to remind oneself to drink more water, though I would not go so far as to say that
it causes any kind of illness not to.
--
Evelyn

(To reply to me personally, remove sox)

"michaelprice" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient to drive optimal rehydration
> under some circumstances. This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably dehydrated
> under less extreme circumstances.

Those "some circumstances" are "circumstances in which one is losing water rapidly," usually due to
heavy sweating and less frequently due to diarrhea. In those circumstances, relying on thirst is a
bad idea because the water loss is likely to continue and any water consumed when thirst sets in
won't be absorbed instantaneously. But it's invalid to extrapolate from circumstances involving
heavy, prolonged water loss to normal circumstances. Under normal circumstances, someone who drinks
when they're thirsty will restore their fluid balance pretty quickly.

Eric Bohlman <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
> "michaelprice" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient to drive optimal rehydration
> > under some circumstances. This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably dehydrated
> > under less extreme circumstances.
>
> Those "some circumstances" are "circumstances in which one is losing water rapidly," usually due
> to heavy sweating and less frequently due to diarrhea. In those circumstances, relying on thirst
> is a bad idea because the water loss is likely to continue and any water consumed when thirst sets
> in won't be absorbed instantaneously. But it's invalid to extrapolate from circumstances involving
> heavy, prolonged water loss to normal circumstances. Under normal circumstances, someone who
> drinks when they're thirsty will restore their fluid balance pretty quickly.

When you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated ;-)
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, michaelprice
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller, and I assume that most of
> >> our readership would say the same.
> >
> >Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient to drive optimal rehydration
> >under some circumstances. This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably dehydrated
> >under less extreme circumstances.
>
> No, at best it's a warning that we could be. If you're a desert dweller, you're going to be far
> more aware of water, and its scarcity, than will some city dweller who has an unlimited supply
> from the nearest faucet.

The people in the study had free access to water. As they say "It is suggested that spontaneous
voluntary water drinking in desert dwellers is not enough to achieve a true state of "euhydration"."

Drinking water, in the past, was a health risk (parasites, water-hole predation etc) which evolution
traded off against the benefits by duilling our thrist mechanism.

Cheers, Michael C Price
http://mcp.longevity-report.com http://www.hedweb.com/manworld.htm

Once upon a time, our fellow Tim Tyler rambled on about "Re: Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on
this family's strategies?." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>When you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated ;-)

Citations?
--
John Gohde,
Feeling Great and Better than Ever!

Alternative medicine was yesterday's quackery, is today's
complementary medicine, and will be tomorrow's new branch of medicine.
http://tutorials.naturalhealthperspective.com/glossary.html

John 'the Man' <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
> Once upon a time, our fellow Tim Tyler [wrote]:

> >When you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated ;-)
>
> Citations?

``Dehydration-induced drinking in humans

[...] Unlike some mammals, humans have a delay in rehydration (involuntary dehydration) after
fluid loss. Two factors unique to humans that probably contribute to involuntary dehydration are
1) upright posture and 2) extracellular fluid and electrolyte loss by sweating from exercise and
heat exposure.''

- http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=7044832
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

"michaelprice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, michaelprice
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
it.

> > >Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient to drive optimal
> > >rehydration under some circumstances. This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably
> > >dehydrated under less extreme circumstances.
> >
> > No, at best it's a warning that we could be. If you're a desert dweller, you're going to be far
> > more aware of water, and its scarcity, than will some city dweller who has an unlimited supply
> > from the nearest faucet.
>
> The people in the study had free access to water. As they say "It is suggested that spontaneous
> voluntary water drinking in desert dwellers is not enough to achieve a true state of
> "euhydration"."
>
> Drinking water, in the past, was a health risk (parasites, water-hole predation etc) which
> evolution traded off against the benefits by duilling our thrist mechanism.

There's another problem in some older guys with benign prostatic hyperplasia: they get tired of pee-
ing every 15-30 minutes, and so they consciously restrict their water intake.

George W. Cherry

[email protected] (Baird Stafford) wrote in message news:<1g8ja1e.19ehhxczmczycN%[email protected]>...
> Matt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > 2. Vitamin E - A powerful anti-oxidant believed to be the most important of all vitamins in
> > preventing Alzheimer's. Most research supports taking well above the daily recommended
> > dosage. I take 1,000 mg. twice a day.
>
> Be careful with the E! High doses of this vitamin act as an effective blood-thinner, and should
> not be taken without medical supervision if one is already taking a prescribed blood thinner!
>
> <snip>
>
> > 6. Aluminum - Avoid ingesting it. Aluminum shows up in the autopsies of Alzheimer's victims'
> > brains. There toxic properties may contribute to the destruction of brain cells. Minimize
> > your use of soda cans and aluminum cook ware. Watch for traces of harmful metals in your
> > antacid and other over-the-counter drugs.
>
> I'm still waiting for a study on this one to indicate whether the elevated levels of aluminum in
> the brains of Alzheimer's victims are the cause of the disease or an effect of it. However, since
> the chances in my estimation are fifty-fifty either way, I choose to avoid it....
>
> <snip>
>
> Blessed be, Baird

In reading the posts in this thread I am surprised that no one has commented on one very real way
aluminum gets into our bodies and, perhaps, our brains.

During the 60's, the elderly suffered from "senility" while we were using phosphates in our
detergents to wash our clothes.

Now we use zeolites to wash our clothes ( among many other things ) and the elderly suffer from
alzhiemers.

Zeolites ( molecular sieves ) are very small crystals capable of ion exchange reactions which
makes them useable for detergents, and are also very thirsty molecules since they can absorb water
very well.

We substituted zeolites for phosphates in the 60s. Have we exchanged alzheimers for senility in
the process?

The problem is that zeolites are not water soluble nor filterable by modern water processers. Thus,
the chemicals are in our water. Also, these chemicals are added to coffee creamers ( look for sodium
alumino silicate ) to salt and other food stuffs to reduce caking since the FDA thinks that they are
safe to consume whithout telling you that you are consuming them. However, in the human stomach,
with its high HCL content, these insoluble zeolites will be converted to water soluble aluminum
halides and possibly made blood soluble and able to penetrate the blood brain barrier.

If this is true, you and I will have one hard time avoiding the consequences of "Z E O L I T E "
poisoning by consuming much of what the modern food industry provides.

DrC PhD.

The doctor of the future will give no poisonous medicine in the vain attempt to poison the sick into
getting well.

The doctor of the future will interest the patient in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in
the cause and prevention of disease, and a medical theory which will not include bacteria, viruses,
retro-viruses, or prions as the cause of such diseases.

What is next weeks section of the periodic chart to be blamed? Why not stick to alt.moron.idiot to
post your rant of the day?

In article <[email protected]>, drceephd wrote:
> [email protected] (Baird Stafford) wrote in message
> news:<1g8ja1e.19ehhxczmczycN%[email protected]>...
>> Matt <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > 2. Vitamin E - A powerful anti-oxidant believed to be the most important of all vitamins in
>> > preventing Alzheimer's. Most research supports taking well above the daily recommended
>> > dosage. I take 1,000 mg. twice a day.
>>
>> Be careful with the E! High doses of this vitamin act as an effective blood-thinner, and should
>> not be taken without medical supervision if one is already taking a prescribed blood thinner!
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > 6. Aluminum - Avoid ingesting it. Aluminum shows up in the autopsies of Alzheimer's victims'
>> > brains. There toxic properties may contribute to the destruction of brain cells. Minimize
>> > your use of soda cans and aluminum cook ware. Watch for traces of harmful metals in your
>> > antacid and other over-the-counter drugs.
>>
>> I'm still waiting for a study on this one to indicate whether the elevated levels of aluminum in
>> the brains of Alzheimer's victims are the cause of the disease or an effect of it. However, since
>> the chances in my estimation are fifty-fifty either way, I choose to avoid it....
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Blessed be, Baird
>
> In reading the posts in this thread I am surprised that no one has commented on one very real way
> aluminum gets into our bodies and, perhaps, our brains.
>
> During the 60's, the elderly suffered from "senility" while we were using phosphates in our
> detergents to wash our clothes.
>
> Now we use zeolites to wash our clothes ( among many other things ) and the elderly suffer from
> alzhiemers.
>
> Zeolites ( molecular sieves ) are very small crystals capable of ion exchange reactions which
> makes them useable for detergents, and are also very thirsty molecules since they can absorb water
> very well.
>
> We substituted zeolites for phosphates in the 60s. Have we exchanged alzheimers for senility in
> the process?
>
> The problem is that zeolites are not water soluble nor filterable by modern water processers.
> Thus, the chemicals are in our water. Also, these chemicals are added to coffee creamers ( look
> for sodium alumino silicate ) to salt and other food stuffs to reduce caking since the FDA thinks
> that they are safe to consume whithout telling you that you are consuming them. However, in the
> human stomach, with its high HCL content, these insoluble zeolites will be converted to water
> soluble aluminum halides and possibly made blood soluble and able to penetrate the blood brain
> barrier.
>
> If this is true, you and I will have one hard time avoiding the consequences of "Z E O L I T E "
> poisoning by consuming much of what the modern food industry provides.
Presenting some actual evidence would be rather helpful!

In sci.life-extension David Wright <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
> In article <[email protected]>, Tim Tyler <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> No, we don't. If we did, we would be thirsty. OK, I'll make an exception for some older people,
> >> in whom the sense of thirst may have become weaker, but the notion that "most of us" are
> >> dehydrated is a medical urban legend.
> >
> >...perpetuated by studies like this one:
> >
> >``The Nationwide Food Consumption Surveys indicate that a portion of the population may be
> >chronically mildly dehydrated. Several factors may increase the likelihood of chronic, mild
> >dehydration, including a poor thirst mechanism, dissatisfaction with the taste of water, common
> >consumption of the natural diuretics caffeine and alcohol, participation in exercise, and
> >environmental conditions. Dehydration of as little as 2% loss of body weight results in impaired
> >physiological and performance responses.''
>
> "A portion" of the population is remarkably vague. In fact, it's so vague as to be useless.

Slightly more specific:

``Relatively few studies have attempted to estimate people?s actual water intakes. Stookey noted
that the ?limited evidence suggests that water intakes may vary considerably, and that a sizeable
proportion of Western adults may have sub-optimal intakes? (ie chronically mildly dehydrated). [1]

A US nationwide dietary survey 1977-98 showed that the median drinking water intake was less than
one-third of the recommended total amount.[2]

Stumbo et al [3] studied water intakes of lactating women and found that one-third of their
subjects had inadequate water intake ? consuming less than 1ml water/kcal of energy expenditure.

[...]

[1] Stookey JD. Another look at fuel + O2 ! CO2 + H2O. Developing a water-orinted perspective.
Medical Hypotheses 1999;52:285-290

[2] United States Department of Agriculture, Consumer Nutrition Division, Human Nutrition
Information Service. Nutrient Intakes: individuals in 48 states, Year 1977-78 (Nationwide Food
Consumption Survey 1977-78, Report I-2) Washington DC: US Government Printing Office, 1984,

[3] Stumbo PJ, Booth BM, Eichenberger JM, Dusdieker LB. Water intakes of lactating women. Am J
Clin Nutr 1985;42:870-876''

- http://www.rsph.org/water/water%20and%20health.pdf

[1] seems to be available:

``[...] Water intake and hydration status can vary considerably, and may be inadequate for a
sizeable proportion of Western adults. Due to the metabolic adaptations required to compensate for
perpetually inadequate water, chronic sub-optimal water intakes may be highly relevant to chronic
disease etiology. Preliminary evidence links water-oriented metabolism to obesity, diabetes,
cardiovascular disease, hypertension and cancer. [...]''

- http://calorierestriction.org/pmid/?n=10465663
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove lock to reply.

"John 'the Man'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Once upon a time, our fellow Matt rambled on about "Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment on this
> family's strategies?." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...
>
> >My aunt has compiled the following "rules of thumb" that my family uses for our Alzheimer's
> >prevention diet.
>
> Just about everything has been linked to causing Alzheimer's Disease. There is no compiling proof
> that diet is the primary factor.
>
> In my opinion, the best prevention is using your brain, not watching television all day, and
> getting plenty of exercise.

Unfortunately there is plenty of evidence that doesnt work either, for example my dad exervised
regularily every day, and the well known author Iris Murdoch who was certainly intellectually
active, died from Az.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove theobvious before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

"michaelprice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Wright <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > In article <[email protected]>, michaelprice
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>David Wright wrote

> >> No, it has a basis in fact
> >>
> >> Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol 1988;57(2):220-4
> >>
> >> Improved thermoregulation caused by forced water intake in human desert dwellers.
> >
> > I don't know where you live, Michael, but I'm not a desert dweller, and I assume that most of
> > our readership would say the same.
>
> Irrelevant. Study shows that our thirst mechanism is not sufficient to drive optimal rehydration
> under some circumstances. This serves as a pointer or warning that we are probably dehydrated
> under less extreme circumstances.

Not at all, the study shows that for this unusual population, which consists of "concentrated urine
outputs, high incidence of kidney diseases and high hematocrit ratios". This is obviously atypical.
The study also says that increased drinking improved thermoregulation, but this was again in an
envoronment (very high heat, very high exercise) that most of us dont encounter in our daily lives.
To the best of my knowledge, its NEVER been 45 Deg C in the Uk for example, or not since dinoasaurs
roamed the planet. Maybe they could have used this advice?

So the study doesn't serve as a pointer to anything.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove theobvious before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Once upon a time, our fellow Tumbleweed rambled on about "Re: Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment
on this family's strategies?." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>my dad exervised regularily every day, and the well known author Iris Murdoch who was certainly
>intellectually active, died from Az.

Ever hear of the concept of genetics and how it relates to your personal health?

Perhaps, you should educate yourself?
--
John Gohde,
Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!

Get started on improving your personal health and fitness, today.
http://www.Tutorials.NaturalHealthPerspective.com/
Offering easy to understand lessons that will change your life.

Once upon a time, our fellow Tumbleweed rambled on about "Re: Alzheimer's prevention diet: comment
on this family's strategies?." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>the study shows that for this unusual population, ... This is obviously atypical. ... in an
>envoronment (very high heat, very high exercise) that most of us dont encounter in our daily lives.

Precisely!

You cannot make general health conclusions based upon kooky populations studies.
--
John Gohde,
Achieving good Health is an Art, NOT a Science!

Health-with-Attitude is a weekly newsletter for people
trying to follow a Healthy Lifestyle.