Am I a poser or are Roadies snobs???

I always wave, or at least give a quick nod if I'm climbing. Usually get a response, as there aren't many other bikes where I live, though I've also noted that the more kitted out they are, the less response they give.

I got a beautiful smile from a very shapely lady the other day - whoever dreamed up the idea of spandex cycling outfits is a genius.

Where i live we've got maybe 120 or so cyclists (road and track) in the club, which is the only cycling club in town and this means pretty much everyone knows everyone else. If people don't wave it is normally because you and that person don't get on very well (aren't friends), they didn't see you, are maybe from out of town or its fine if they are doing something really hard like a paceline or a cadence session. There's normally a good reason. Most people aren't snobs.

mysilver70sekai said:
I am a big fan of a combo move...it's half mini-wave and half headnod.

...so i do a cotton/spandex mix(cotton on top, spandex on bottom.
Yeah, the combo is effective and doesn't take much. I always acknowledge other cyclists with either the wave, the nod, or both. Most of the time I get a nod, wave or smile back, but there are those few folks... :rolleyes:

As for couture, I wear bib shorts (Pearl Izumi's are my current fave) and a "loose gear" (but not too loose) Under Armour shirt (their stuff kicks a$$!). It still offers the performance of wicking but it's not a jersey either. I need to lose some more weight before I can look decent in a body-hugging full-lycra kit. ;)

I wave, and most return the wave or a short hello. I am also rather fond of my Harpoon IPA bike jersey (my only one, and I love the beer). I also wear a lot of UnderArmour products.

Combo move for me if Im on an uphill climb, will just give a nod if its a serious climb. But if its on a flat and Im breezing then I will give a nice wave and a nod.

There is always a nice young (curvy) lady I normally breeze by on my saturday morning ride and normally just raise the hand in acknowledgement. I feel that if i pull up and slow down and have a chat and then speed of she may think I am taking the ****. What you guys reckon

ds0709 said:
Well, I went riding this weekend in my favorite ONCE team jersey, no kit, just jersey. And every rider I came across seemed to ignore me when I would say hello or wave. Now, I have had guys on Harleys give me the low wave they are famous for, so I ask, if a guy on a motocycle is willing to extend to me the courtesy of a hello, what is it with us roadies? Now, I have been oblivious to my suroundings when sucking wind doing hills or something like that, but this appears to be more than that. I always loved the look of the ONCE kits but I would not dare ride a kit for fear of some type of Frankinsteins monster manhunt and torture, but I don't see why it is such a big deal to sport a jersey, considering most of these same people will be wearing their favorite football team or hockey or soccer (don't want to leave the euros out) jersey during their next game, WHAT GIVES???

I just started riding on the road myself and have been attempting to get some tutoring, everyone says, "visit the bike shop, they're friendly they'll help you get started"...but to no avail. Cylists seem to ignore me as well, so I'm not even going to bother speaking to them, or the clicks at Central Park. Everyone in the forum seems to be relatively caring and supportive, I'd like to meet you folks!

As far as the jersey is concerned, being a fashionista, they're awesome!!! I have a massive collection of them - I even wear them running!!! I prefer them over t-shirts any day. People who don't even cycle ask me where I get my shirts. I honestly do get more of a positive response from non-cyclists than I do from roadies. Plus e-bay has a treasure trove of them at fraction of the cost as going to a bike shop!!! Just do your thang, we can only help bettering ourselves.

I rarely pass other cyclists, but if I do, they don't wave or anything. Too busy being 'elite'. But since they don't wave, neither do I.

Interesting question. I've pretty much always have had another rider acknowedge me. Even had a roadie blow by me the other day (you know the type, young, 1% body fat 30 years my junior, riding some esoteric carbon fiber whoosamagoochie) hauling a$$ on a training run ask "how's it going?". Maybe it is bacause I ride a 'bent?

'bent Brian

IMHO The whole roadies as snobs thing is WAY over-baked. To me it's a no win situation. On my harder rides I get into a "zone". I have blinders on so to speak. I don't pay any attention to the other riders out there unless they are in my space. Has anybody seen The Who's "The Kids are alright"? . I recall a scene in which Pete Townshend talks about being on stage performing. He said that he goes off into his own place & that if anyone were to walk up on that stage & approach him while he was playing, he might just kill them. Now, that maybe an exaggerated example, but that is similar to the way I feel when I'm in my "zone".

That said, the next morning I may be cycling to work & smile or wave to anyone that passes me. Totally different vibe. Two different rides & two different reactions. Does that make me a "snob". I don't think so. I will forever maintain the right to ride in my little zone & not feel like I'm being a snob just because I don't give a shout out to everyone that passes me.

I think part of the problem is in the perception. New road bikers have yet to reach that point of finding their own personal zone, so they mistake mine for being a snob. Once they get into that place, they will understand more clearly what it's all about....

Yes and no. Yes when I pass them on my full suspension beast, no when I don't see them! It seems like the more money they've spent on apparel, the worse they are. As long as people are riding, who cares what or how?

Generally (it's always dangerouse to generalize) serious road cyclists are intense, resulting in little to no social interaction during the ride.

There is a weekday group I often ride with of anywhere from 30 to 50 riders, some of them CAT 3, 4 or 5. It's amazing that I am two inches from one of these guys handlebars in the peleton, and, they are not interested in any kind of conversation. Remember, this is not a race, it is a weekday ride. And as the pace increases, they get down right nasty. "Pull off left, you A-Hole"...stuff like that.

Now, the club rides are different. Frindly people, very supportive and encouraging.

Net, net...social interaction is inversely proporational the rider's capability.

tourdelivermore said:
Net, net...social interaction is inversely proporational the rider's capability.

Don't you mean that it's inversely proportional to the rider's OPINION of his own capabilities?
:)

I am just not used to having other riders around, here in Oz, Melbourne there are people everywhere, I can't say hello to everyone. I nod/wave to anyone that does that to me, but I do not do it to everyone, that would mean more sore muscles in the shoulder than the legs. ;)

I ride in team kit (Microsoft) as they are our club's sponsor aswell, I have expensive bikes and I'm sure many people out there think I am a snob. I am also an utter goofball when I am out on my bikes, and usually wave, say hello to other riders, runners, people walking their dogs or riding their horses. I also often take alot of newbies out on training rides and help them to get used to bunch riding skills, drafting and conserving energy on climbs etc.

I usually also ride to and from our club rides which as an additional 40km that I do solo, and usually I use this time to ride tempo, or to do a few intervals etc, so I sometimes "zone". Notwithstanding the effort, I will still acknowledge other people out there exercising, if I see them. The only time I won't is if I need to focus on holes in the road, cars at intersections etc.

Oh, and I have blown off a few roadie bunches on my MTB when I have been riding to an offroad ride. That is the only time I would consider myself a snob.

I don't really care whether people greet me, or return the acknowledgement.