Am I crazy, or could this work?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Keith Boone, May 3, 2004.

  1. Keith Boone

    Keith Boone Guest

    I have two unused bikes in my garage that I am thinking about
    cannibalizing to make one working commuting bike.

    The first is an old English built Raleigh from the "12 speed" era
    which I think makes it roughly 20-25 years old. The frame says Reynolds
    20-30, and it has the really great retro-look touring geometry that I like
    so much.

    Also in my garage is another unused bike: a modern looking criterium
    frame with aggressive angles, straight forks, and a ride that I find too
    harsh and twitchy for my tastes. This second bike has Campy 8 speed
    Veloce components.

    What are the chances of moving the full set of Campy components over to
    the Raleigh frame? I know the purists out there will cringe at the very
    idea, but is there any reason why it wouldn't work? I used to own the
    exact identical female version of the Raleigh, which I gave away to a
    friend. My friend replaced all the parts with Shimano Deora (or possibly
    Tiagra???) and built it back up for his wife. This worked well, so now
    I'm wondering if the same thing could be done with the Campy parts.

    Tags:

  2. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Keith Boone <[email protected]> writes:

    > I have two unused bikes in my garage that I am thinking about
    > cannibalizing to make one working commuting bike.
    >
    > The first is an old English built Raleigh from the "12 speed" era
    > which I think makes it roughly 20-25 years old. The frame says Reynolds
    > 20-30, and it has the really great retro-look touring geometry that I like
    > so much.
    >
    > Also in my garage is another unused bike: a modern looking criterium
    > frame with aggressive angles, straight forks, and a ride that I find too
    > harsh and twitchy for my tastes. This second bike has Campy 8 speed
    > Veloce components.
    >
    > What are the chances of moving the full set of Campy components over to
    > the Raleigh frame?

    No reaosn it couldn't work. You'd have to respace the rear triangle-
    your rear dropouts are currently 126 mm apart and they will need to
    be 130 mm for the Campy 8 speed. Other than that, it ought to be a
    straight swap for parts- the only other complications I could see are
    if the Raleigh doesn't have downtube shifter braze-ons to mount the
    cable housing stops, and if the Campy brakes won't reach the rims.

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Keith Boone wrote:

    > ... I used to own the
    > exact identical female version of the Raleigh, which I gave away to a
    > friend. My friend replaced all the parts with Shimano Deora...

    Male bike: Shimano Deore
    Female bike: Shimano Deora

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

  4. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    Keith Boone <[email protected]> wrote;

    > What are the chances of moving the full set of Campy components over to
    > the Raleigh frame?

    An English-built Raleigh is more than likely afflicted with all those
    abominable 26tpi parts that render so many otherwise desirable old
    Raleighs worthless.

    If that's the case with yours, you may have to keep the English
    headset and (worse) the bottom bracket and maybe even (ugh) the
    cranks.

    I'd investigate a bit, and consider updating another old bike if yours
    is a "real" Raleigh.

    Chalo Colina

    "With bikes this fubar, who needs the French?"

  5. Bill Putnam

    Bill Putnam Guest

    > > What are the chances of moving the full set of Campy components over to
    > > the Raleigh frame?

    > An English-built Raleigh is more than likely afflicted with all those
    > abominable 26tpi parts that render so many otherwise desirable old
    > Raleighs worthless.
    >
    > If that's the case with yours, you may have to keep the English
    > headset and (worse) the bottom bracket and maybe even (ugh) the
    > cranks.
    > Chalo Colina

    A good bike shop should be able to re tap the 26 tpi bottom bracket
    shell
    to the standard 24 tpi. I've had this done on several Nottingham
    built
    Raleighs without any trouble. You may need a longer axle as these
    shells
    are 70 or 71 mm wide. Another option is to buy Phil wood 26 tpi rings
    and
    either use a Phil Wood BB or a Shimano UN72 cartrige BB.

    IMHO The headset isn't that big of a deal as the lower race is
    interchangable with modern headsets, and even then the headsets on old
    Raleighs seem to be more durable than many headsets.

    Sheldon does a nice job explaining some of the options and issues at
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh26.html

    Bill Putnam