Am I eating enough?

stevek

Sep 27, 2003
For a long time my digestion has not been good. Between the hiatal hernia diagnosed at 11 and heartburn since atleast then. I had a lot of antibiotics to fix it and lots of prescriptions for the acid pills.
Well this got Candida to take over and caused more problems. I was always tired my head was not super clear my limbs ached and so on.
I could not loose weight no matter how little I ate. I never got about 268 Male 5’11” 40 now. I got a racing bike and after a week or so I started commuting. The ride is almost 10 miles each way. A little hilly going home. I struggled to have enough energy to get a good ride. I finally found protein powder (whey) gave me the most. I worked at what worked and ended up with 3 scoops of powder and three pieces of fruit before each ride. And the longer before the better. Three hours was a good time.
I found I got the most energy from fat and protein. I had been somewhat low carb for awhile so this fit.
So my average day was the three scoops powder three pieces of fruit then a ride 3 hours later to work. I would be starving. My average lunch was ¼ to 1/3# of cheese and hard salami. That's about 1000 calories. The 3 hours before I left the same as in the morning. Dinner when I got home (I was starving) was a big salad or some meat or something. This gave me ok energy and I could get at most 14.1mph average going to work and the best 13.1 going home though usually it was around 12mph on a good day.
Well I head of kefir http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#Where_to_get_kefir_grains
Well this sure helped. It reduced my heartburn by quite a bit and I have more energy. I can’t eat as much as I used to and I don’t get really hungry after a ride. In the two or three weeks I have been using it I now get atleast 16mph average going to work and 14.9 at most and atleast 14.3 going home. This is a pretty big speed difference in town. I was lucky before if I could get 16mph on the flats now I get 20 most of the time.
I was getting the sore limbs again but I found it was a lack of water.

Now some of the weird things. A doc friend told me before my body was in starvation mode and that's why I was not loosing any weight. The more I ate the more I lost till I leveled off with the above daily food and 2 pounds a week loss.
But now I have not lost any been hovering at about 232 and 234 with less food. So my system is working better. But I don’t think I am getting everything from my food. I get no energy from carbs. I tired some rice cereal and maple syrup and butter for breakfast and I was starting to bonk almost as soon as my ride started. I had to stop and eat to finish my ride. I can eat a candy bar or two and get no extra energy from it.
I am still playing with that though and I have to work things out. My sore limbs through things off till I figured out what was going on.
A couple of sites calculated out I was burning 700 to 900 calories per ride. That's only approximate. But I went to www.fitday.com and got a estimate of my calorie intake. And if I eat the 1/3# salami and cheese I get around 300 calories per day if I eat rise and meat and veggies I bet that's about 400 calories less.
If my body is working perfectly that only leaves 1400 calories if not that leaves a bit less though I don’t know how much less.
My body is weird and it sure makes life wacky. Right now I don’t know if I should eat more or less to loose weight. It’s harder to eat more then less but I don’t want to get in the starvation mode again. My riding is getting pretty good and I can use some power without my asthma kicking in.
Right now I have 1 to 2 scoops of powder (can’t handle three anymore) maybe one piece of fruit and some meat and a couple eggs for breakfast. Lunch can be the 1/3# or rice and meat then one to two scoops of protein over a two hour period and a couple pieces of fruit. Then the ride home. Dinner is usually some meat and veggies and sometimes some rice (brown) then some popcorn lately with butter (200 calories for the butter) I will stick with this for a week and see how the weight goes.
Right now it would be far easier to cut back on the food then eat more.