Am I mad?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alex, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Been commuting 10 miles each way to work the last few years (London) on a good but lumpy hardtail
    ATB with slicks, do a few long rides at the weekend out to the country and want to get back onto a
    road bike.

    Very taken by the 2004 Bianchi SL3 AL Veloce but am I mad to commute on it... at all... ever?

    thanks...

    Tags:

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 27 Jun 2003 09:53:35 -0700, [email protected] (Alex) wrote:

    >Very taken by the 2004 Bianchi SL3 AL Veloce but am I mad to commute on it... at all... ever?

    I'd say not - you can always take the MTB when it's too wet for a road bike, after all.

    Guy
    ===

  3. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > I'd say not - you can always take the MTB when it's too wet for a road bike, after all.
    >
    > Guy

    I'm with Guy, no point having a nice bike and not riding it. Nothing to put a smile on your face
    like getting some speed past a whole lot of parked traffic. If its a worry of the cost of the bike,
    it's not much compared to driving. As long as you've got somewhere proper to keep it at both ends,
    I'd do it. Of course, if I had to leave it out........

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <snip>

    > too wet for a road bike,

    ?!!?

    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
    aah!

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]:rem0ve-this:johnnyklunk.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > I'd say not - you can always take the MTB when it's too wet for a road bike, after all.
    > >
    > > Guy
    >
    > I'm with Guy, no point having a nice bike and not riding it. Nothing to
    put
    > a smile on your face like getting some speed past a whole lot of parked traffic. If its a worry of
    > the cost of the bike, it's not much compared to driving. As long as you've got somewhere proper to
    > keep it at both ends, I'd do it. Of course, if I had to leave it out........

    I dunno, I don't trust myself maintenance wise with a nice bike. A really expensive bike doesn't
    give you an enormous advantage, and will be more upsetting when its buggered or stolen.

    In most circumstances, for commuting, a bike designed around a load of compromises for racing, is
    not the right bike.

  6. "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Been commuting 10 miles each way to work the last few years (London) on a good but lumpy hardtail
    > ATB with slicks, do a few long rides at the weekend out to the country and want to get back onto a
    > road bike.
    >
    > Very taken by the 2004 Bianchi SL3 AL Veloce but am I mad to commute on it... at all... ever?

    I wouldn't think so - it's not as if it was a 'top of the range bring it out only for serious
    competitive use' model. I am sure lots of people commute on bikes of around that sort of value -
    perhaps not the majority, but certainly a significant percentage, those who are perhaps more keen
    on cycling as sport and recreation rather than just utilitarian commuting. I'd say if you like it,
    go for it. Although I think it will be less of a thief-magnet than an equivalent value MTB, as long
    as you can lock it up or store it reasonably adequately at both ends of your commute there is no
    reason why not.

    Rich

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:50:38 +0100, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> too wet for a road bike,
    >?!!?

    Road bikes generally lack the clearance for decent mudguards and winter tyres (which are wider
    because you can't see the potholes when they are full of water).

    Guy
    ===

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:26:21 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In most circumstances, for commuting, a bike designed around a load of compromises for racing, is
    >not the right bike.

    It's not the bike I'd ride, but as long as it gets you and a clean shirt to the office, what matter?
    The key thing about commuting by bike is that we actually enjoy the journey, unlike the poor
    benighted cagers.

    Guy
    ===

  9. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? deftly scribbled:

    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:26:21 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> In most circumstances, for commuting, a bike designed around a load of compromises for racing, is
    >> not the right bike.
    >
    > It's not the bike I'd ride, but as long as it gets you and a clean shirt to the office, what
    > matter? The key thing about commuting by bike is that we actually enjoy the journey, unlike the
    > poor benighted cagers.

    Heheheh, I actually enjoy my 'commute' to work and home again, whichever way I go and whichever
    method of transport I use, including the car. However, I do live relatively close to a town centre
    and work out of town .. ;)

    A car drive or cycle ride at 5.45 am on the way to work is really quite peaceful, especially now
    it's relatively warm and bright .. My return journey at 11.15 am is opposite the 'early lunchtime'
    traffic flow leaving town. My return to work at 2.45 pm is similarly well before any evening
    build-up of traffic and my subsequent return home at 5.45 pm is again going in the opposite
    direction to the traffic leaving town .. ;) OK, the roads are a little congested, but not normally
    for the way I'm going, which helps the enjoyment factor quite a bit.

    My commute is only 5 miles each way, but is actually a rather nice drive / ride / walk,
    whatever .. ;)

    --
    Digweed

  10. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Road bikes generally lack the clearance for decent mudguards and

    OK, that's told us what a road bike is. You are Humpty Dumpty and ICMFP.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)