am i mad?

webbhost said:
how much water and food would you suggest? what kind of food would you suggest also? 50 miles is a long way, althrough my average speed is 14 mph, thats when im pacing along fast, and im gonna be alot more tired too. Maybe a 5 hour journey.

Peanut Butter and jelly sandwiches are great on a 50 miler-take three. You need one bottle of water per hour in hot weather, cooler weather, half that amount will do. Some people drink a sports drink every other bottle. Take a banana, maybe some cashews. Fats are good. The body can store enough carbs for about two hours of medium to hard effort, after that, slam, into the wall. Eat regularly, don't get into a deficit. The body can only process so many grams of carbohydrate per hour, so eating more than that number is a waste. I can't remember what that figure is. It must be in your book.

Xsmoker said:
Peanut Butter and jelly sandwiches are great on a 50 miler-take three. You need one bottle of water per hour in hot weather, cooler weather, half that amount will do. Some people drink a sports drink every other bottle. Take a banana, maybe some cashews. Fats are good. The body can store enough carbs for about two hours of medium to hard effort, after that, slam, into the wall. Eat regularly, don't get into a deficit. The body can only process so many grams of carbohydrate per hour, so eating more than that number is a waste. I can't remember what that figure is. It must be in your book.
hi,

Yeah i was planning on having sport drink every other bottle... i was also thinking take turkish delight with me and maybe 1 can of red bull. Ill take a banana with me too. maybe 2.

Im off to coalville for supplies now. 6 miles total there and back should have me warmed up and ready to go!

Ill have to keep an eye on time as i want to miss the darkness at night if i can. I do have lights but i dont trust them lol.

By the way i was getting through 1 whole bottle of water on my 6 mile ride. in effect thats 10 bottles for a 50 or around there :eek: lol. Gonna be heavy, if i get to the airfield, and i have too many supplies i might drop some water off lol.

Well i did it!

I went on a practice run of 6 miles this morning, went to coalville halfords, and picked up some gear. I now have riding glasses, a proper biking top (but i didn't feel that biking shorts were particually going to benefit me at this time of the year), gloves (blue ones to go with my blue and black top), 3 CO2 cylinders and a CO2 dispensor (o yeah and a spare inner tube). I also had to stop for cash on the way back to get food and drink supplies from local shop.

I like having a biking top, i dont know if its because i was on an A road or what, but people tend to give me alot more space? lol

Heres the stats for practice run this morning:

date 02-Nov-06
waking heart rate 52
Morning Weight 9.8 stone
Hours of sleep 9

Rating 1 - 10 of enthusiasm for training + life 9
Time of day 09:00
temperature 4C

wind 6mph
max heart rate 183
average heart rate 147
total time 19.31
milage 4.41
average speed 13.5
rating 1 - 10 of feeling whilst training 8
calories burned 370.11

I had a bit of a break when i got home, and prepared myself.. cup of tea something to eat etc, packing my stuff in a backpack. By 11.30 AM i was ready for the big one! I can honestly say i have never felt so knackered in my life... on the way to my flying field (Turned out to be 17 miles away) it was relatively good, no real big obstacles. On the way back... well #*^$ me... i saw the hills that i had previously came down and i just thought (well said out aloud to my self) "ooh f~~~ this one is going to kill me.. It was nice on the way down a hill through i caught a big lorries slipstream for a second and it gave me a boost to 29.5 MPH (the fastest i have been on a bike so far).

The last 7 miles home hit me the most, every hill started feeling like hell, and on some occasions i had to stop and have a drink about half way up.

Heres the stats for my first official endurance cycle

date 02-Nov-06
waking heart rate 52
Morning Weight 9.8 stone
Hours of sleep 9

Rating 1 - 10 of enthusiasm for training + life 7
Time of day 11.30
temperature 8C

wind 7mph
max heart rate 183
average heart rate 159
total time 2 hours 17 minutes, 51 seconds
milage 34.18
average speed 14.8
rating 1 - 10 of feeling whilst training 4
calories burned 1609.22

And just to add to the stats i drank 3 bottles of lucosade and 2 bottles of water. Im now drinking the 4th bottle of lucosade as i recover, and i had 3 turkish delight bars and half a flapjack ( there were no bananas lol)

I gotta say now ive done it i feel quite good!
Dont know if ill be doing that again next week through lol.. i might give it a try.

Very f!#*ing respectable, congrats!!! I do think you consumed way too many calories though. Give the nutrition info on the lucosade and turkish delight bars. Consuming more calories than your body can matabolize can make you feel bloated and slugish. I'm going to guess that you burned something like 1500-1700 cals.

calories burned 1609.22

luco = 140kcal per bottle x 3 = 420 kcal

Tuckish delight 185 kcal per bar ( about 555kcal for all bars) - i noticed i had one left when i got home lol.

So both combined would be 975kcal

Im guessing that when my heart rate monitor says "Calories burned 1609.22" it means 1609.22 kcal right?

Thankyou for the conglats, i might go again next week (only take 5 bottles with me to save exceeding required weight,

Hopefully next time will be easier through as my body will adapt to it. This should mean less burned calories (and less needed lucosade right?) - maybe instead of using 3 bottles of lucosade and 2 water, i should take 5 bottles (2 bottles of lucosade mixed with 3 bottles water to even across each bottle) - less calories going into my body, but providing im getting fitter i should not need the extra energy anyway.

How did i do compared to someone who would be used to this kind of distance?

I.E. what do you think my calories should be down to until i move it up a notch to 50 miles?

On a 34 mile ride I would take 2 bottles of water and one nutrition bar. Leaves room for dinner and a couple of beers.......

Xsmoker said:
Very f!#*ing respectable, congrats!!! I do think you consumed way too many calories though. Give the nutrition info on the lucosade and turkish delight bars. Consuming more calories than your body can matabolize can make you feel bloated and slugish. I'm going to guess that you burned something like 1500-1700 cals.

This 49g bar contains :-
- 980kJ of energy
- 2.6g of protein
- a whopping 30.2g of carbohydrate
- 11.4g of fat (7.1g of which is saturated)

Plus a Can of Red Bull!! :eek:

LucoZade is a Glucose Drink, their moto used to be "Aids Recovery" but I guess far too many Aids Survivors took it literally so Lucozade had to drop that one...

With the above combo I'd guess his energy levels went up the Tree like a monkey and down like a Coconut...hence the fight to get back home... :(

Wow they good stats!! not bad going from 4+ miles to 34miles. Good work.

To conserve some energy on long rides I usually take note of any possible waterstops on my route hopefully carry half and fill up along the way.. Maybe carry some spare electrolyte in powder form for your second bottle. Not sure in UK but we can pretty much drink out of any tap here in Australia. It geuss the good thing carrying all the water is it gets lighter along the way. A combo of compact energy(bar/gels) sources and plus some solid food/bananas, muesili bar/(nothing to hard to digest) is good.
Eat well and rest well after, should be in the nutrition bit in your book.

+1 on the red bull thing, it gives wings but can come crashing down quickly when the caffeine runs out but it can help get you to the finish at the end of the ride. for me I totally avoid caffiene.

Looking forward to hearing about your next training run.
cool.gif

i didn't take red bull, i thought it an idea but i left it out as red bull is for tired people, not for energy source. I was also going to take a banana with me, but we had none and neither did the shop lol.. i have yet to read up on nutrition in my book yet.

But basically you are saying that if i take a good read into nutrition, and stick by it then i am much more likely to make those last 7 punishing miles back a walk in the park (well not liturally but easier than it was)

X smoker, if i took 1 nutrition bar with me and 2 bottles of water i would be typing this message from the intensive care right now :rolleyes: I dont see how you would be able to survive on that (considering what i got through.)

Would i be right in saying through because i was drained for energy at the end (i.d. bad nutrition) - my instinct was to drink because as far as i was concerned the drink was giving me the energy

Unfortunatly i have no stats for my bike to work today, i forgot to reset my HRM, so stats wont be realsistic (better to leave them out than to guess false stats).

Im at work 9AM tomorrow, so providing i get up and i feel upto it, ill go for my 6 mile run again, see how i come out this time.

should be interesting to see how i compare to last time after the 34 miler.

I really don't really think nutrition plays into rides of up to 2 hrs. Remember, the body stores enough glycogen for a moderate ride of that length, as long as the stores are full, the tank will be empty at the end though. But I suppose that applies to a fit person. If a person is out of shape and huffing and puffing for a 35 mile ride, then he is burning a lot more calories.

is it basically saying - lets calculate my energy in a tank lol.

At the beginning of my journey i have a full tank, but because im not as fit as i could be, i need more fuel to achieve the distance. By the time i have say 7 miles left i am out of fuel.

However as i do this trip more and more, and i get fitter my body doesnt use as much fuel, which means the same tank of fuel will last me longer than it initially did?

(kinda like running rc heli engine in, at first you have to run the engine rich which takes lots of fuel - once you ran say 2 gallons through you can lean the engine out which provides more power but uses less fuel (and more air))

Do you see what im saying and does it sound about right or am i riding in the dirt?

This energy thing is a real gray area. You could have full energy stores and be fatigued because of lack of sleep or having a cold. You say you burned about 1600 calories. I estimated you burned 1500 to 1700. You say you consumed 975 cals. If you started out with full stores (2000 cals glycogen stored in muscles) plus 975 =2975-1600 burned leaves 1375 unburned calories. Bonking at mile 27 was do to fatigue (out of shape), or eating too much or a combination of both.

I wish I could find the Chris Carmichael article in Bicycle Magazine that explaines this eating thing. Anybody got it?? It was within the last few months.

Xsmoker said:
This energy thing is a real gray area. You could have full energy stores and be fatigued because of lack of sleep or having a cold. You say you burned about 1600 calories. I estimated you burned 1500 to 1700. You say you consumed 975 cals. If you started out with full stores (2000 cals glycogen stored in muscles) plus 975 =2975-1600 burned leaves 1375 unburned calories. Bonking at mile 27 was do to fatigue (out of shape), or eating too much or a combination of both.

I wish I could find the Chris Carmichael article in Bicycle Magazine that explaines this eating thing. Anybody got it?? It was within the last few months.
so genearlly speaking i would have got about the same performance with '5 bottles of water and a banana' as i would have with what i had (3 lucosade, 2 water and a few turkish delight)

Well here it is, I found the article. Check it out HERE

And while you're there click on Nutrition & Diet for a bunch of great articles

Xsmoker said:
Well here it is, I found the article. Check it out HERE

And while you're there click on Nutrition & Diet for a bunch of great articles
confused me slightly - it says you can take in 1G of carbohydrates a minute.

1 bottle of lucosade sport can holds 32G of carbohydrates - doesn't that mean you can have 1 bottle every 30 minutes? (which would be about right as i took 4 bottles of lucosade + water on a 2 hour duration (i just keep the turkish delight and solids out next time)?

...And forget about the f#@ing cadence, ride where you are comfortable. Speed? forget about that also. If you avrage 13.5 MPH over 100 miles you are doing good. There might be one person on this forum whom could do 20.

What planet do you come from? 20mph for a century? try a solo 24.8mph century. Many riders here on the forum could easily do a 20 to 21 mph solo non-stop century and 25+ in pacelines.

lowracervk2 What planet do you come from? 20mph for a century? try a solo 24.8mph century. Many riders here on the forum could easily do a 20 to 21 mph solo non-stop century and 25+ in pacelines.[/QUOTE said:
Sounds to me like you're missing out on a great opportunity:24.8 MPH non stop century, you ought to be in the pro ****ing peleton DUDE...

OMG, will the chest thumping ever end??

webbhost said:
confused me slightly - it says you can take in 1G of carbohydrates a minute.

1 bottle of lucosade sport can holds 32G of carbohydrates - doesn't that mean you can have 1 bottle every 30 minutes? (which would be about right as i took 4 bottles of lucosade + water on a 2 hour duration (i just keep the turkish delight and solids out next time)?

I guess my piont is, that if you are trying to drop a few pounds and get into shape, that you ought to be on the low end of the recomended intake. 3500 calories= 1lb body weight, so if you are trying to loose, you need to you need to consume that much less per week than the recomended, which is around 2000/day for a sedentary avarage adult male. It's calories in calories out, don't forget to factor in what you burn during excersise.

lmao theres always 1 person who has to be try be a smart@ss in every thread eh ;) lol.

Im not trying to lose weight by the way, i only way 9 stone as it is, i dont care if i do lose a little bit of weight but i dont wanna lose alot, i just wanna get fit and do my 3 days worth of centuries next summer lol.

However i do understand that if i am lighter, then it should make it slightly easier when the time comes cause i got less weight to carry :)

i might be doing the 34 miler again tomorrow morning - 1 question i would like to ask on advance this time through - i did notice on my last 34 miler that my left hand was going numb, to avoid this i had to hold the upper bit of the handlebar (thus sitting more upright) - but is there anything in particular im doing wrong which is causing this numbness?