am i mad?

I guess the first thing everyone is going to ask is "Have you had your Bike fitted"?

But as you ride greater mileages you'll find different parts will start to hurt, for instance, I bought my Bike and did a Century 7 Days later, my front Paws and Arms were killing me at mile 40...it only got worse, then, for the Century after that it was my BACK Paws...I guess it was the 95 degree temp and even hotter road surface...but the last 30 miles I was Pulling up more than pushing down on the Pedals...

But yeah, drop Handlebars on a road Bike (Racing bike in the UK) must be taken advantage of when doing longer distances, try not to spend TOO long in one position...take one hand off the bars regularly and shake it out...don't squeeze the Bars etc etc.....plus, it's good to sit upright now and again...bend your arms at the elbow too....

Now you're doing longer distances you'll need to pay more attention to your Bike set-up...there's lots of info on the web for this....

Anyway, good luck on your 34 miler...let us know how it goes!!

webbhost said:
i might be doing the 34 miler again tomorrow morning - 1 question i would like to ask on advance this time through - i did notice on my last 34 miler that my left hand was going numb, to avoid this i had to hold the upper bit of the handlebar (thus sitting more upright) - but is there anything in particular im doing wrong which is causing this numbness?

Xsmoker said:
I guess my piont is, that if you are trying to drop a few pounds and get into shape, that you ought to be on the low end of the recomended intake. 3500 calories= 1lb body weight, so if you are trying to loose, you need to you need to consume that much less per week than the recomended, which is around 2000/day for a sedentary avarage adult male. It's calories in calories out, don't forget to factor in what you burn during excersise.

YIKES! He only weighs 126 Lbs....I used to weigh that...when I was 12..
:D

i know my saddle is too low, im gonna try tweaking that up just a tad today see how it happens. Only gonna make it higher gradually through to avoid injuries. I guess i should be able to tell where my optimum point is with trial and error. (althrough the book gives a pretty good explaination

The good thing is me mates following me in his car today (dont know why lol, i wont complain if anything happens through) - but it will take the weight off my back this time, ill be able to store stuff in the car.

Thinkin of takin a pack of chewy with me too, might stop me gagging for drinks as much

xxamr_corpxx said:
Hi webhost,

How are you calculating your calories burned?
hi,

My heart rate monitor tells me calories burned. how accurate this may be i dont know, but for training purposes i imagine its useful either way.

Here is the stats for todays endurance ride.

date 07-Oct-06
waking heart rate 52
Morning Weight 10.0 stone
Hours of sleep 10
Rating 1 - 10 of enthusiasm for training + life 8
Time of day 10.00

temperature 6C
wind 9 mph
max heart rate 187
average heart rate 159
total time 2 hours 17 minutes, 30 seconds
milage 33.85
average speed 14.7
rating 1 - 10 of feeling whilst training 6
calories burned 1873.18

Was quite fun today, got 28 mph in a car slip stream, but what was even more fun was going down a big hill which i didn't wanna go down last time... reached 35 mph on that hill :D its all fun. I have a vid that ill upload when i can lol

Felt alot easier than it did last time, althrough it still got tiring.

There is 1 thing that concerned me - the first time i did this, i had a bit of a pain in my left leg for alot of the journey (but nothing that painful to stop me biking) - the same thing was there today, but when i got off my bike when i got home i got a electric shock in my leg. (ie. trapped nerve?) It happened 1ce in my leg and 1ce in my foot (both left).

Is something wrong which should concern me do you think?

Jaguar27 said:
HEY!! what happened Webby? You didn't give up did you?? :confused:
hey,

Nope not given up. Im not recording work runs any more as someone said they are off no use to me, however ive not found the time to go out for another good run yet.

The other problem is back pains - see my other thread

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t372703.html

Im not particually keen on training whilst this is a problem..

Im pretty sure i need fitting, biking home from work today i got shoulder pains cause i was looking up. I will admit i dont think ill be ready for the summer, but the summer after that is always going to be there as a choice.

Atleast if i do it next summer and not this one coming up, (well i say coming up we only just left the last one lol) i get chance to train more gradually than trying to constantly push to the max.

If i do another 34 mile run (or even a 6 mile run around my local town) i will let you know and give you statistics.

By the way i just got home from work... winds are absolutely insane lol... never had to keep pedalling to keep moving "downhill" before.. kinda scary actually!

funnily enough i think the back pains have gone? Haven't experienced it for about 2 days now.

There is 1 thing i notice "every" time i ride my bike and thats shoulder ache

I might bike upto the flying field on sunday.. I might not have my helicopter working right now but ic an always go out to see the people and see how people are going cant i :D

Good thing is ill get a good rest after the first 17 miles too.

Hey, nice thread.

Erm, in answer to your question I am in no doubt that you are certifiable.

However, your positive attitude does you proud and should assuage any difficulties you have in dealing with the general public.

;)

Seriously though, there's plenty of riding around Coalville - just get hold of an OS Landranger of the area and pick a quiet route away from the main roads. There's stacks of MTBing as well (over towards Loughborough with Bardon Hill to finish the ride perhaps) and the change of style would help to improve your overall technique and confidence.

Find a couple of mates or a local club to ride with - this help with your motivation (when it isn't there) and ensure you get some enjoyment out of the ride (it's not always huge amounts of fun on your own - often it's nought but a painful slog).

Check out this list of local clubs: see if they do any rides you fancy: http://www.cycleweb.co.uk/clbs/cl-lei.htm

Get to your local bike shop. Ask them about fit. (It's a low-cost option to change a stem or saddle to improve your comfort!)

I think that's all for now.

Keep riding fella. Remember: only two weeks off and your fitness starts tp drop.

Cheers,

Wheelist

hey,

never knew the 2 weeks fitness thing lol.

Take in mind i am still biking to and from work every day still (4 miles, 10 mins either way).

Im not feeling too good today, but i do have tomorrow off.

If i feel any better i might go for a third training session of 34 mile.

I think i may have tracked down the back pains - and believe it or not i expect that it is my HRM. I was wearing it quite far down, and it was tight too, causing it to pull my back in. I have slackened it a little, and highered it just below my nipples, and the back pains have stopped. (i intially figured this because i stopped wearing it for a while, this is when the pains stopped.

Ill have to get myself on another training session and see how it goes with it in a new position.

Regardless i should still get fitted when i get the chance :)

good news people. I did it again :)

Besides almost being taken out by a lynx lorry, and some shoulder pains on the way back i rather enjoyed myself today. Only had a brief bit of back pains today (had the HRM higher up - the suspected cause as diagnosed by me). That was after about 25 miles, and it went after about a minute or 2. I dont know if todays ride statistics will be very useful for reference to getting fitter, because i had a rather unpleasant food poisoning yesterday after eating a kebab 2 nights ago. (Hot Chilli sauce just to top it off.... you get that nasty feeling i got? lmao) So yeah i think my heart rate would have been slightly higher - that contributing because my body may still be fighting off the virus i recieved.

Anyway heres today's staticics. Enjoy! Also in the next post i will be posting a picture of me sitting on my bike - if there are any fitting experts out there could you take a look and let me know of any olbvious problems i have with my position? Thanks!

date 28/11/06
waking heart rate 58
Morning Weight 9.7 stone
Hours of sleep 8
Rating 1 - 10 of enthusiasm for training + life 9
Time of day 12.00
temperature 10C

wind 14 mph
max heart rate 189
average heart rate 160
total time 2 hours 17 minutes, 38 seconds
milage 33.90
average speed 14.7
rating 1 - 10 of feeling whilst training 7
calories burned 1658.04

Photo-0005.jpg

I have a good excuse for not wearing a helmet .. i'd just finished :p and yes i know i like to constantly lick my lips when im biking. it helps me concentrate lmao

Andi its not fat im wearing 2 jumpers lol

I noticed one thing about your bike. The handlebars are tilted too far backward, It's putting you in a bad position on the hoods, Your wrists are bent at a weird angle. The drops should be parallel to the ground, or tilted slightly forward.

hence changing them - it will make me lean fowards "slightly" less too? Funny you mention that because i did get an electric shock in my left hand again today.

When you say the drops which bit specifically? The last bit of the handlbar (that at the minute is curving upwards?

webbhost said:
hence changing them - it will make me lean fowards "slightly" less too? Funny you mention that because i did get an electric shock in my left hand again today.

When you say the drops which bit specifically? The last bit of the handlbar (that at the minute is curving upwards?

Yes, the last bit. Play with this positioning until you are comfortable.
Probably has something to do with all of your pains.

I travel the same distance to work ant this is the only training that i get. I recently cycled to dublin (60km) and ran the dublin marathon and cycled home for a bet. I couldnt walk down stairs for 4 days after but this is beside the point. Its all in your mind whether you can do it or not. If you take an easy pace and dont try to break any records you will be fine! Just keep the head and think positively if you think you cant do it cos you definitely can! Drink plenty of salty sports drinks to keep your levels up.