am i mad?

i was going down hill lol. I just dont understqand this position you're telling to try out (also does it make a difference if theres a rather sharp bend at the bottom lol). I have to be careful not to lose control on the bend :S

No, this wouldn't be a good position to be in when entering a sharp curve. I like it on straight sections.

Im guessing what you mean is lean far fowards enough to get my chin touching the handle bar right? I can always give it a try "before" I reach the bend.

webbhost said:
Im guessing what you mean is lean far fowards enough to get my chin touching the handle bar right? I can always give it a try "before" I reach the bend.
Chin on the bars. Butt in the air. Arms and legs tucked as far in as possible. Aerodynamic-like.

Just hope that you are on a longish, straight section of smooth road. You will not have very much control of your bike while you are like this.

But you will go really, really fast! :D

i do a triple century every summer for a charity as well. most of the folks that ride it for the first time have never even ridden 100 miles. they suffer through it and still manage to enjoy the ride. it looks like your training is really positioning you for a good experience.

a couple of items (and they may have been covered in some of the pages i skipped)

- learn to ride in a group. riding 100 miles drafting is MUCH easier than doing it by yourself!!!

- i agree with other posters. long time in the saddle is a key to being ready. speed is not nearly as important as saddle time.

funny you should ask x-smoker... over the last few weeks ive extended my normal runs to 10 miles... and I have liturally just got back from my first 50 miler... I have to say that i am ABSOLUTELY (you know what)... i can hardly move.. lol

I will post stats in a bit.

Xsmoker said:
Bump.......hey webhost, where ya been?
Hi again,

Well slightly annoying i just wrote this once but it was unfortunatly lost due to server problems so here i go again..

date 01/06/07
waking heart rate 50
Morning Weight 9.8 stone
Hours of sleep 10
Rating 1 - 10 of enthusiasm for training + life 10
Time of day 12.20

temperature 19C
wind 6 mph
max heart rate 198
average heart rate 160
total time3 hours 10 minutes, 48 seconds
milage 49.87 miles
average speed 15.6 mph
rating 1 - 10 of feeling whilst training 8 > 4 (last 6 miles did me in)
calories burned 2153.56

webbhost said:
Hi again,

Well slightly annoying i just wrote this once but it was unfortunatly lost due to server problems so here i go again..

date 01/06/07
waking heart rate 50
Morning Weight 9.8 stone
Hours of sleep 10
Rating 1 - 10 of enthusiasm for training + life 10
Time of day 12.20

temperature 19C
wind 6 mph
max heart rate 198
average heart rate 160
total time3 hours 10 minutes, 48 seconds
milage 49.87 miles
average speed 15.6 mph
rating 1 - 10 of feeling whilst training 8 > 4 (last 6 miles did me in)
calories burned 2153.56

Nice job...now go get a beer.

lol i was just thinkin that.... gotta waste all the effort i put in right? LOL.

Just to top it off i just ended up goin on a 2 hour walk... now i AM stuffed.

Figured out i actually weighed 0.2 Stone more when i finished the route. Why? lol..

i guess it could be down to taking on board 6 bottles of lucosade sport, a turkish delight and a cereal bar lol.

How do you cope with the longer rides waterwise? I found that carrying 3 750ml bottles in a backpack along with everything else (puncture kit, spare inners etc)... hurt my back as to say.

On the bright side the back pains did not stick, and im fine now.

I can fit 3 bottles of lucosade / water onto my bike frame via the mounts, but to mount it all i would need 4 mounts.. lol.

Any suggestions on a way "not" to kill my back quickly?

Yeah there is a big difference. Anyone getting ready to do something like this should train your time up before hand. You could cripple yourself. Lol I know of people doing a 2,500 mile trek. Like you would in a car. The guy does distance all the time the woman I don't really think she does a lot on a daily basis. I would imagine she trained before it though.
300 miles is not crazy. It is crazy though if you only do 24 minutes a day normally to just jump into it. You should at least be able to do 2 or 3 hours before even thinking you can attempt that. Ideal would be to model the time before hand. Make sure you can do those six hours ahead of time steadily.