Am I missing something?

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Cycling circuit honours triathlete
Sunday 16 February 2003

A cycling circuit to be built on the Gold Coast will be named in memory of champion triathlete Luke Harrop.

Harrop was killed by a hit-and-run driver during a training ride in January last year.

Sports Minister Terry Mackenroth said the 1.8km training track at the Runaway Bay Sports Complex would enable cyclists to train in safety.

Harrop came second in the 2001 Triathlon Australia national series and was aiming for Commonwealth Games selection.

Construction on the $500,000 circuit, jointly funded by the state government and Gold Coast City Council, will start in April.

Some of the world's best triathletes will compete in the inaugural Luke Harrop Memorial Triathlon, formerly the Gold Coast Triathlon, at Southport.

Sports Minister Terry Mackenroth said the 1.8km training track at the Runaway Bay Sports Complex would enable cyclists to train in safety.

A 1.8km circuit would allow this? Its only 1.8km for f**k sake.

Construction on the $500,000 circuit

Half a million dollars for something that wont be used by cyclists, yet its meant for cyclists? can someone explain what i'm missing?

Typical government wankers milking this tragedy for every bit of publicity its worth, it’s disgusting.

A$500000 = R3000000 for a 1.8k stretch of tar? :rolleyes:
Sprint training?

Agreed - that kind of cash for 1800m of tar is crazy but it does have some merit....

While I was in the UK I raced on a circuit called Lee Valley - a 1 mile (1.6km) circuit with tight corners, several short climbs and a nice semi uphill finish.

I agree it's not possible to train on a track like that - BORING - but I had some awesome tight races on that track. It's also very spectator friendly. If it's done right with change rooms, glass fronted track side building, tuck shop, bike shop etc it could be an awesome cycling venue.

Lee Valley also hosted roller blade races and smallish mountain bike races on a course that kinda ran round and over the tar track.

Originally posted by steve
A 1.8km circuit would allow this? Its only 1.8km for f**k sake.

Half a million dollars for something that wont be used by cyclists, yet its meant for cyclists? can someone explain what i'm missing?

Typical government wankers milking this tragedy for every bit of publicity its worth, it’s disgusting.

It's just another way for the government to push their agenda of getting cyclists off roads and onto paths and so on. It's been going on here for quite a while. They banned us from the M1 motorway, then spend $5 million on other facilities unlikely to be used by cyclists (I rode the QT preferred route with Bicycle Gold Coast last year, it really is ****, and really no safer than the M1 itself).

Unfortunately, Bicycle Queensland seems to think we should be applauding them for it. This must be the only facet of life I've ever seen where I've been encouraged to applaud people for F**king up. :mad:

Salut, Un nouveau comme moi, sont les bienvenus ici?
Merci beaucoup en effet.

Well, now that the spammer has resurrected this thread, how is the Luke Harrop Training Track working out?