Am i over doing it?

Daniel Lomartra

Jul 12, 2011
I am 16 and have recently began cycling. Right away i jumped into 20 miles a day. One, 15 miles workout at 3.32 mile pace (average 17.5 miles an hour average) (Very hilly: 236ft gain), and one 5.12 miles workout at roughly the same pace. Is this over doing it?

236' gain in 15 miles is flat.

2 showers a day is overdoing it. But as long as you are having fun.

yeah, 236' is not really to much gain, especially over 15 miles. I think I may have even done a crit that had close to that every single lap, talk about hurt, after 45 minutes and 20+ laps, I could not see straight. My 60 mile hilly training ride, has over 3,000' of climbing, most of which is made up of short ( <2 mile), steep climbs, and some would not consider this all that hilly.

It sounds as if you are just getting started, 20 miles a day is not to much, just listen to your body. If you keep at it you won't even bother to get the bike out for anything less than 30 miles, atleast I don't.

Yea im about a week in and ive so far done about 200 miles (had some longer days). As of now i can't even see myself being able to do all that. How long have you been riding?

Originally Posted by Daniel Lomartra .

Yea im about a week in and ive so far done about 200 miles (had some longer days). As of now i can't even see myself being able to do all that. How long have you been riding?
I think many of the people here have been riding well over 10 years. More importantly they have put in lots of miles.

200 miles is a good start. By the time you get up to 1000 miles (5 or 6 weeks from now) you should be seeing your hills a bit differently. A lot of riding is pacing yourself and using a gear that is reasonable for the task. You will get better at both.

I see, of course i was smart enough to give myself heat stroke (riding 15 miles extra a day to work in jeans) and passed out at work. So i have been out of commision for a few days and its really bothering me because I want to ride lol. But more importantly it occured to me that gain might not be an accurate measurement for the hills I ride because the hills are rolling and im constantly switching between uphill and downhill. Also the route isnt a loop I stop and turn around so perhaps going back the other way would mess up the measurements? (google maps)