Am I riding the right size?

BestYoungRider

Sep 24, 2006
Im about 5'7-5'8 and i weigh about 150lbs-150lbs. Im currently riding a 52cm and im wondering if thats the right size for me? It feels ok but not sure if i should upgrade to a bigger size.
Im also thinking about buying a new frame. Would any frame fit my bike/ is there anything i should be looking for?
thanks

BestYoungRider said:
Im about 5'7-5'8 and i weigh about 150lbs-150lbs. Im currently riding a 52cm and im wondering if thats the right size for me? It feels ok but not sure if i should upgrade to a bigger size.
Im also thinking about buying a new frame. Would any frame fit my bike/ is there anything i should be looking for?
thanks
Get a 54cm, if you are growing. Yes, any frame would fit your components just make sure that the steerer tube length is right, the bottom bracket is the same width and threading, and the seat tube diameter will fit your seatpost and derailleur

bobbyOCR said:
Get a 54cm, if you are growing. Yes, any frame would fit your components just make sure that the steerer tube length is right, the bottom bracket is the same width and threading, and the seat tube diameter will fit your seatpost and derailleur
Thanks for the info. So you think i should get a 54cm? Well I am 21 so i dont know how much growing i will be doing. Is 52cm too small for what i am right now? Is there a huge difference between a 52cm and 54cm?
Thanks

BestYoungRider said:
Thanks for the info. So you think i should get a 54cm? Well I am 21 so i dont know how much growing i will be doing. Is 52cm too small for what i am right now? Is there a huge difference between a 52cm and 54cm?
Thanks
I"m a 5'7 and I"m 75 kg and I"m 22. I ride a size 48cm (small) but thats a compact giant frame. I guess it depends what frame your using I guess =/

BestYoungRider said:
Thanks
If it feels uncomfortable, then it is the wrong size. What you can do is get a longer stem, as this effectivel lengthens the top tube. Or move your saddle back depending on where it is now. it also depends on the geometry. A compact 52cm should fit you fine. I fit on a small giant compact, but a 54cm traditional geo frame.

I'm 5'7" and ride a Felt 53cm conventional frame. In the morning when i am fresh its nice, could even be a little longer, but on the way home, when i am tired, it could be shorter, so it depends on how you feel at the time.

Frame sizes vary according to brand all with geometry of the frame. Top tube,seat tube all vary. You vary in relations to other people that are 5' 8" . Inseam,torso, arm reach etc.
Go to a good bike shop and get fitted for frame,stem,crank length etc.
Don't make a guess at it,get fitted.

There is a whole thread on height and frame size, but the reality is that height is not enough information to go on, and weight is totally irrelevant. The proper frame size depends on leg length, arm length, torso length, frame geometry, flexibility of the rider, riding style, etc. If it feels good, then it is fine. If you want to upgrade your frame, test ride the new frame first to find out if it is what you want. If you cannot tell a difference between the new frame and the old frame, keep the old frame and save your money (assuming the old frame is not damaged).

BestYoungRider said:
thanks

There are so many variables that come into play, including riding style, your own body proportions, and the specifics of the frame geometry. A typical 52-54 cm frame would probably be about right for you depending on the details. At 21 you are probably at your adult height. jhuskey gave the best advice if you are not sure of what you need.