Am I the only loser on the Mtn.

bikeboyoriginal

Sep 19, 2003
I come to the hill. Uh oh, steeper than I thought. Now i have to hikeabike up the damn thing. Am I the only one who feels this is humiliating.:(

no. Although I haven't walked my bike up a hill for a while. Probably because there aren't many steep/long hills in this area. Mostly short, more gradual climbs.

Originally posted by bikeboyoriginal
I come to the hill. Uh oh, steeper than I thought. Now i have to hikeabike up the damn thing. Am I the only one who feels this is humiliating.:(

No. It is defintely humiliating. But then again it probably would be more humiliating to have to have your family explain to the attendees at your funeral that you died because your heart exploded because were too proud to walk up a hill! ;)

I have never walked it up any hill. It goes against my personal creedo. Would be heresy. I got Granny gears and I'm not afraid to use 'em ;-)!

I'd sooner turn around and go back down and either find an easier approach or get a better start up. Will never, ever walk her up.

Course, to each his own...

Originally posted by less'go
I have never walked it up any hill. It goes against my personal creedo. Would be heresy.

Yeah. Sounds like me. ;) I've yet to hike it up a hill either, but I fancy myself a climber so that'd be among the last things I'd do.

Not that I'd recommend hurting yourself of course. :D Turning around and having another go at it, or going around is good. Hard training is good for ya, but only up to your limit.

Originally posted by graf zeppelin
Yeah. Sounds like me. ;) I've yet to hike it up a hill either, but I fancy myself a climber so that'd be among the last things I'd do.

Not that I'd recommend hurting yourself of course. :D Turning around and having another go at it, or going around is good. Hard training is good for ya, but only up to your limit.

I've been in some MTB races and seen some very fast riders running their bikes up certain hills... Why? Because if the bike speed drops to less than what it would be if running, then RUN!

I'm by no means fast, but off-road especially, walking/running up a hill is sometimes much quicker than trying to ride it.

On the road, if I can't climb it I don't climb it :)

hippy

Originally posted by hippy
On the road, if I can't climb it I don't climb it :)

A fine plan. Basically what I adopt as well. The surprises are what get ya. I try not to be surprised. ;)

I suppose I could amend my credo to include the following fine print:

Walking up a hill is no good. If you can run up a hill in road shoes though, its probably worth the try both for the fitness and the story. :D

Seeing as i'm not a roadie I haven't had the oppotunity to walk up a road, but If I can run up, I have to agree that I would ratherdo that than strain my chain (unintentional rhyme sorry)

If the hill is too steep (I am inadvertently popping wheelies and falling off the back), I will walk it.

You know what's going to kill you, and you know if you have cheated yourself.

On MTB racing I do had walk-run some very stepped hills with loose dirt or grave, and I’m not ashamed of it. Some folks can go up easily than me, but generally they are shorter and lighter than I am, and I have other strengths.

On the road, I never had walked a hill, but I never tried an ascent with 14+% grade, mainly 7-8% with some short segments of 10%.

I say good for you! Walk whenever you feel like it. I walk up a lot of hills. I also carry my bike over mud whenever possible, and I carry it over fallen trees. Sure I could try to huff it up the hills, splash through the mud, and at least attempt to ride over a fallen tree or two, but why? I'm not racing, I'm out to have some fun. I can't have much fun if I'm broken and bleeding or if my bike is broken because I tried to do something stoopid on it. Riding in mud isn't good for the bike or the trail, so I try to avoid it (not to mention the reduced clean-up time after the ride). I don't like to get muddy anyway (it's one of those childish things I put away- see signature below).

Back to hills... I even walk down some of them- I have no intention of dieing for the sake of a little fun.

TD

I like going down hills as fast as possible...except for those around corners and ESPECIALLY blind turns. I almost always get that thought in my head "What if there's a car around that bend?" and, as a result slow down.

Originally posted by bikeboyoriginal

Haven't done in in a long time on the road.Back when I was getting back in shape I but do remember looking around and hoping that no one would see me pushing up a long hill dragging my lungs and my butt behind me. As if anyone really cared. I have had occasion to have such a steep uneven condition off road that I either wheeled or spun out and had to push. Either way it kills the ego in all of us. You can't get even so just get better. :cool: