Am i the only one who doesn't want a fancy bike?

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
So my bud and I were out for a ride the other day. I have a Madone, built my own wheels, he has a Cannondale, sweet looking bike, deep carbon rims. I told him my bike, a 2014 is looking kind of classic compared to the bikes nowadays. I told him I was on a group ride last year and some dude said, "wow, that is an old school Madone!". :D

I think the new bikes are really cool and sweet looking but I see a ton of fancy modern bikes on site like instagram and don't think much of them. I have had steel, alum, carbon, mixes, but I have to say that if I ever get another bike, I want a classic plain simple looking bike. Heck, maybe even a steel bike with lugs.

He said he liked his bike but there was some beauty in my bike that he did not see in his own cool looking bike. He said when he is behind me, he notices that the silver sparkle in my spokes is there, something lacking in his bike.

I agreed and said that I do see the cool factor in his bike and his wheels look cool. But that when I look down between my legs and see the sparkle of my spokes spinning arrow straight in my wheels, that is something that I would miss with the fancy deep carbon wheels.

So I see all these sweet cool looking bikes but when I get another bike, it will be a plain ol classic looking bike. Not into the flashy big letter wheels and slammed down racer type bikes. Just gimme a classic looking bike, I'll be more than happy! :cool:

I'm with you I'll stick with my old 1993 rig, none of that fancy new school **** for me. My next build is old school from the early 90's again.
Water Fall 2.jpg
Bike Breakdown.jpg

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I'm with you I'll stick with my old 1993 rig, none of that fancy new school **** for me. My next build is old school from the early 90's again.
View attachment 5120 View attachment 5121

Ha ha ha Zipster! I am thinking mine might be an 80's classic type.

I think of all the hot models out and not really appealing to me anymore. Think a nice smooth ride, steel or ti maybe. I'm not racing anybody. :D

Reactions: zipp2001
Ha ha ha Zipster! I am thinking mine might be an 80's classic type.

I think of all the hot models out and not really appealing to me anymore. Think a nice smooth ride, steel or ti maybe. I'm not racing anybody. :D

I've raced and ridden on steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon over the years. I still tend to lean toward carbon, although I'm thinking a future build for next year could be steel.

I've raced and ridden on steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon over the years. I still tend to lean toward carbon, although I'm thinking a future build for next year could be steel.

What are your thoughts on Titanium?

I just met a guy on the trail who is so stoked about his ti bike. Says it's the best of all worlds. But then again, I have heard others say it's heavy, others say it's flexy.

Then others say it is too stiff, others say lively. ;)

What are your thoughts on Titanium?

I just met a guy on the trail who is so stoked about his ti bike. Says it's the best of all worlds. But then again, I have heard others say it's heavy, others say it's flexy.

Then others say it is too stiff, others say lively. ;)

I had a Litespeed Blade TT bike and found it to be slightly stiffer than my Zipp TT bike. Didn't really notice any real flex when getting out of the saddle to hammer. I felt it transferred the power really well. When it comes to frame material it always comes do to each persons personal preference. If you have a chance to try a titanium bike I would highly recommend it. I only went to the titanium bike because the Zipp got banned from racing, and my sponsor asked what I wanted so I figured I'd try a titanium bike to see what all the hype was about. I used it as my race TT bike until I stopped racing then sold it off because I had no use for a TT only bike.

I had a Litespeed Blade TT bike and found it to be slightly stiffer than my Zipp TT bike. Didn't really notice any real flex when getting out of the saddle to hammer. I felt it transferred the power really well. When it comes to frame material it always comes do to each persons personal preference. If you have a chance to try a titanium bike I would highly recommend it. I only went to the titanium bike because the Zipp got banned from racing, and my sponsor asked what I wanted so I figured I'd try a titanium bike to see what all the hype was about. I used it as my race TT bike until I stopped racing then sold it off because I had no use for a TT only bike.

Thanks Zipster, good to know!