Am I too heavy for cycling? My spokes keep loosening...

mark.donnelly

Aug 3, 2010
Howdy all,

I'm 103kg(225pounds), 6ft 3 and I've recently gotten into cycling a few months ago, but I've found that my back wheel is already buckling. I keep having to tighten them up. Am I too heavy for my road bike(B'Twin Sport 1)? I currently use 700x23c tubes.

I'm also a rugby player so I would prefer to keep my mass for that, but I don't mind loosing weight if thats the case... Is there stronger wheels I can get that can stand my weight and roads? I live in Ireland so the roads ain't so good and are quite bumpy...

Is there a simple solution to my problem??

Regards,

Mark

mark.donnelly said:
Howdy all,

I'm 103kg(225pounds), 6ft 3 and I've recently gotten into cycling a few months ago, but I've found that my back wheel is already buckling. I keep having to tighten them up. Am I too heavy for my road bike(B'Twin Sport 1)? I currently use 700x23c tubes.

I'm 220 (several inches shorter than you) and I've had no problem on either of my bikes.

What kind of Wheels/rims are you riding on? Most wheels shouldn't have a problem unless they are ultralight models...

Nope, you aren't even close to being too heavy.

You've just got a wheel problem that needs to be addressed....

64Paramount said:
Nope, you aren't even close to being too heavy.

You've just got a wheel problem that needs to be addressed....

Correct. Quality hand-built wheels with about 32 spokes should do the trick. Someone will be along soon to disagree with the spoke count. :cool:

mark.donnelly said:
Howdy all,

I'm also a rugby player so I would prefer to keep my mass for that, but I don't mind loosing weight if thats the case... Is there stronger wheels I can get that can stand my weight and roads? I live in Ireland so the roads ain't so good and are quite bumpy...

Is there a simple solution to my problem??

Regards,

Mark

You can get stronger wheels, that's not a problem. 32 or 36 spokes and a good wheelbuilder will give something that's near unbreakable.

billydonn said:
Correct. Quality hand-built wheels with about 32 spokes should do the trick. Someone will be along soon to disagree with the spoke count. :cool:

I already have 32 spoke wheels, and I only got the bike 2 months ago. I think it may be the quality of wheel. I've tried tightening the spokes but to no effect. Could you recommend a good wheel?

mark.donnelly said:
I already have 32 spoke wheels, and I only got the bike 2 months ago. I think it may be the quality of wheel. I've tried tightening the spokes but to no effect. Could you recommend a good wheel?
You/someone should probably detension ALL of the spokes and then retension & true the wheel ...

FYI. Different rims ARE (subjectively) better than others due to the alloy they are extruded from and/or the shape of the rim's profile.

The fore mentioned Ultegra hub with a MAVIC Open Pro rim is reliable combination which will be available at COLORADO CYCLIST, EXCEL SPORTS, & NASHBAR. Nashbar sells their over-stock at a discount if your timing is right ...

A 36h wheel will generally be more reliable than a 32h wheel made with a comparable hub & rim.

mark.donnelly said:

The Mavic OP/Ultegra suggested below is a very good combination but here are several other good options.

A set of White Industries hubs laced to Kinlin XR-300 rims can the put together for you by Psimet, for example.

Ultegra hubs with DT Swiss RR1 rims can be made for you at Bicyle Wheel Warehouse.

I have hard good things about Williams wheels but have not used them myself.

Since you are only 225 libs you should be able to get good reliability from wheels with 32 spokes unless you are really abusive. Good luck.

I think it is not fitted properly. It is one of the most common problems that the cyclists face. The most important part is the part where the spokes are attached to the cycle. I think you should go to a local bike shop for this purpose. It will cost less.

What.
The.
Hell?

Bots.

BTW, Mark and his collapsing wheel were last seen here 5 years and 43 weeks ago.

Have you tried another bike for your size? Just like cars, bikes have also their share of lemons. Now, if you would try another bike and the back wheel would also buckle then probably it is your weight that matters. But for now, I suspect that it is the bike that has a problem. If I were you, I would go to the bike shop and consult the attendant, surely they are well versed with troubleshooting.