Am I too heavy?

supersaiyan

Jan 2, 2004
I'm 16 years old. I am beginning cycling training and I wondered if I am too heavy to road race. I weight 163 lbs and I am 5' 11". My body fat is around 7-9% as i've figured with several caliper tests. Am I too heavy? What is a good road racing weight? How much does someone like Greg LeMond (I think I am spelling his name right) or Lance Armstrong weight? How tall are they?

You aren't too heavy. I weigh 170 at 5'9 and can mash pretty well. For your height, you seem to be a good size. Don't sweat it and go ride.

Originally posted by supersaiyan
I'm 16 years old. I am beginning cycling training and I wondered if I am too heavy to road race. I weight 163 lbs and I am 5' 11". My body fat is around 7-9% as i've figured with several caliper tests. Am I too heavy? What is a good road racing weight? How much does someone like Greg LeMond (I think I am spelling his name right) or Lance Armstrong weight? How tall are they?
If your body fat is really 7 to 9% it wouldn't be a good idea to try and loose weight; many pro cyclists have this level of body fat!

Be aware that caliper tests can be a bit inaccurate, particularly if they are being done by someone that is inexperianced and the calipers aren't properly set up (i.e. not calibrated).

The thing that sets most people apart from the pros are 1. genetics (which you can't change) and 2. training (which you can change).

If you want to be as good as the pros, start training - but don't do it blindly get some help from a coach.

The other suggestions posted here are correct.
Don't worry about weight - 163 lbs is fine.
The important thing is to keep training and to cycle.
Weight/Fitness will follow.

Lance is 5'11" around 158 to 164 lbs.

So you to have similiar height and weight.

Indru was even bigger 6'3" 176 lbs

Ullrich is 6'0" 170lbs