Am I using my trainer correctly

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
I have an indoor trainer and I've stopped using it because it's wrecking my tyres. It's a stationary trainer where the rear wheel sits on a small wheel which provides (in this case) magnetic resistance.

I was using it inside recently and noticed after a while that tiny specks of black rubber were being flicked onto the wall behind me. Upon closer inspection I found that the rubber on the rear tyre had been slowly melting or coming off. Now there's a flat patch all around the tyre! Obviously the tyre is heating up.

Am I using it correctly? My thought was that my tyre might not be pressing hard enough against the small wheel, hence I'm effectively spinning my wheel which is causing friction to melt the tyre...thoughts?

Walrus said:
I have an indoor trainer and I've stopped using it because it's wrecking my tyres. It's a stationary trainer where the rear wheel sits on a small wheel which provides (in this case) magnetic resistance.

I was using it inside recently and noticed after a while that tiny specks of black rubber were being flicked onto the wall behind me. Upon closer inspection I found that the rubber on the rear tyre had been slowly melting or coming off. Now there's a flat patch all around the tyre! Obviously the tyre is heating up.

Am I using it correctly? My thought was that my tyre might not be pressing hard enough against the small wheel, hence I'm effectively spinning my wheel which is causing friction to melt the tyre...thoughts?
Maybe you're just too damn fast.

Like, wow dude! Burn rubber man...

A related thread: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t297145-.html

Trainers make flat areas on tires, it's their typical wear pattern. Heat is also a common characteristic, part comes from direct friction, and part from flexing the tire. If my wheel is slipping, it makes a chirping sound. I run it with a noticeable depression where the drum contacts the tire.

Walrus said:

To eliminate any fears or possibilities I have been using an old steel frame and cheap tires on my trainer.
It stays attached year round. I bought some compatable used pedals off
e-bay.
Small investment and it keeps my carbon frame on the road only.

jhuskey said:
To eliminate any fears or possibilities I have been using an old steel frame and cheap tires on my trainer.
It stays attached year round. I bought some compatable used pedals off
e-bay.
Small investment and it keeps my carbon frame on the road only.

I also use a beater bike on the trainer, but even if you can't afford more than one bike go pick up a cheapo tire. I'm using a Specialized Armadillo. Not a super supple ride on the road, but pretty tough on the trainer.

Thanks guys, I was wondering whether it was just me, but sounds like it's a common problem. I've just bought some new wheels, so I'll set up my old rear wheel with an old tyre I have lying around, and that'll be my "training wheel"...thanks everyone.

Walrus said:
Thanks guys, I was wondering whether it was just me, but sounds like it's a common problem. I've just bought some new wheels, so I'll set up my old rear wheel with an old tyre I have lying around, and that'll be my "training wheel"...thanks everyone.

I see that Continental now produces a "trainer-specific" tyre. Obviously with good heat resistance and lots of rubber.