Am I using the correct shoes?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Jr, May 17, 2004.

  1. Jr

    Jr Guest

    Here's my situation. Bear with me...

    My current shoes are Asics Gel Creed, which have been
    described as "motion control" shoes.

    I have been told that I underpronate. And, that may be true,
    because these shoes are wearing on the outside, meaning, the
    sole of the right shoe is wearing on the right side, as I
    look down at my foot.

    But, here's the twist. Three twists, actually.

    The salesman at a running store, not some bogus national
    chain, who spent almost an hour watching me run, sold me on
    some Superfeet insoles.

    Twist # 1 - He said that my arch was "collapsing", or
    dropping down when I run. The insoles would prevent that.

    Having the insoles would prevent that, and enable me to get
    a different type of shoe, if I wanted.

    But, ..., if my arch was collapsing, as he put it, wouldn't
    my feet be rolling *inward*?

    Twist # 2 - I have "splayed" feet, or "duck" feet, meaning,
    when I stand, or walk normally, my feet point outwards.
    Opposite of pigeon-toed. I see from the Asics website that
    the Creed-Plus is good for splayed feet (although nothing
    for Creed and splayed feet).

    Twist # 3 - If they are indeed an incorrect shoe or
    combination (according to those who market shoes), I already
    have 250 miles on the insoles and the shoes and I like them
    and don't have any problems that I am aware of. No pain. The
    only problems I have had so far are, in my mind, due to the
    fact that I'm still new to running, and I'm "ramping up" on
    milage and speed still.

    In the beginning, maybe 3 months ago, when I was only
    running 10 miles a week, sure, my feet hurt for a day or so.

    Now, the only time they hurt is the other day when I put in
    9 miles for the first time. And before that, they hurt when
    I did 8 miles for the first time. They did NOT hurt when I
    put in 8 miles the second time.

    I do have the ocassional dull knee pain the day of an
    especially long run, but, for example, I did 7 this morning
    and have no pain anywhere.

    So...Is "twist # 3" the most important? Toss out all of the
    marketing and physics and stuff and stick with what works?

    Or, can I expect problems when I get to the 30-40 mile per
    week range (I'm currently running 25-30 miles per week), or
    runs over 15 miles?

    Thanks for any comments,

    Jeff.

    Tags:

  2. On 13 May 2004 10:22:54 -0700, [email protected] (JR) wrote:

    >So...Is "twist # 3" the most important? Toss out all of the
    >marketing and physics and stuff and stick with what works?

    Yes.

    >Or, can I expect problems when I get to the 30-40 mile per
    >week range (I'm currently running 25-30 miles per week), or
    >runs over 15 miles?

    Yes, but they're unlikely to be shoe related.

    Emily.

  3. .?.

    .?. Guest

    Rogers an idiot, ignore him.

    Caroline's adorable cousin <[email protected]>
    news:<[email protected]>...