Am I weird?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by OmManiPadmeOmelet, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???
    --
    Om.

  2. Jay

    Jay Guest

  3. Dally

    Dally Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    I feel the same way. It's "good" pain that makes me feel alive.

    Dally

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???
    > > --

    > somewhat.

    Not severe... ;-)

    Just enough, I guess, to assure me that I worked hard enough.
    Especially since my CPK does not seem to spike much anymore, no matter
    what I do!
    --
    Om.

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Dally <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    > I feel the same way. It's "good" pain that makes me feel alive.
    >
    > Dally

    :)

    'zactly...
    --
    Om.

  6. bc

    bc Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dally <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > >
    > > > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    > > I feel the same way. It's "good" pain that makes me feel alive.
    > >
    > > Dally

    > :)
    >
    > 'zactly...

    "a good case of DOMS" makes me feel old and interferes with my other
    physical activities. It's a lot harder to get out of bed and work out
    too. I guess I'm pretty much in the "Totally mind it" category.

    - bc

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "bc" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Dally <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:

    > > > I feel the same way. It's "good" pain that makes me feel alive.
    > > >
    > > > Dally

    > > :)
    > >
    > > 'zactly...

    > "a good case of DOMS" makes me feel old and interferes with my other
    > physical activities. It's a lot harder to get out of bed and work out
    > too. I guess I'm pretty much in the "Totally mind it" category.
    >
    > - bc

    So do you take NSAID's for it?

    If I get that sore and stiff to where it interferes with other
    activities, I sit down on the floor and do a good set of stretches.

    It really helps!

    And no, I don't take pain med's for it.
    --
    Om.

  8. DZ

    DZ Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    I like waking up with doms - they have a certain nice bouncy feeling
    that comes along with that.

  9. bc

    bc Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "bc" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > > > :)
    > > >
    > > > 'zactly...

    > > "a good case of DOMS" makes me feel old and interferes with my other
    > > physical activities. It's a lot harder to get out of bed and work out
    > > too. I guess I'm pretty much in the "Totally mind it" category.
    > >
    > > - bc
    > >

    > So do you take NSAID's for it?

    Not usually. A good grimace sometimes brings wifely solace though.

    > If I get that sore and stiff to where it interferes with other
    > activities, I sit down on the floor and do a good set of stretches.
    >
    > It really helps!

    Agreed. I stretch for martial arts classes and it helps. Of course,
    the dang instructor then has us do all sorts of leg drills while I'm
    recovering from the squats I just started after a long layoff. Talk
    about kicking a dead horse.

    > And no, I don't take pain med's for it.

    It's probably all that green tea extract.

    - bc

  10. T

    T Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    You are weird.

    That said, waking up with DOMS mild enough to mostly ameliorate with deep knee
    bends brings with it a cheery sense of accomplishment.

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "bc" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,

    > > > "a good case of DOMS" makes me feel old and interferes with my other
    > > > physical activities. It's a lot harder to get out of bed and work out
    > > > too. I guess I'm pretty much in the "Totally mind it" category.
    > > >
    > > > - bc
    > > >

    > > So do you take NSAID's for it?

    > Not usually. A good grimace sometimes brings wifely solace though.

    <lol>!

    > > If I get that sore and stiff to where it interferes with other
    > > activities, I sit down on the floor and do a good set of stretches.
    > >
    > > It really helps!

    > Agreed. I stretch for martial arts classes and it helps. Of course,
    > the dang instructor then has us do all sorts of leg drills while I'm
    > recovering from the squats I just started after a long layoff. Talk
    > about kicking a dead horse.

    Lovely. ;-/
    I've never taken any martial arts classes,
    but I've heard of those leg drills from others!

    > > And no, I don't take pain med's for it.

    > It's probably all that green tea extract.

    Makes me want to do more at the gym for sure! ;-D

    --
    Om.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    T <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    > > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    > You are weird.
    >
    > That said, waking up with DOMS mild enough to mostly ameliorate with deep
    > knee
    > bends brings with it a cheery sense of accomplishment.

    I think that was my point! ;-)

    Deep knee bends don't help the arms much tho'.
    Other stretching is needed!

    I did a bunch of concentrics yesterday for arms and the DOMS from that
    are just now beginning to fade... I need to bench tomorrow.
    It did weaken my grip a bit for today. I had to reduce the weight on
    T-bar rows.
    --
    Om.

  13. Larisa

    Larisa Guest

    >Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    Nope, not the only one. Me too. I can't do squats, still (stupid
    knee!), and I rather miss having sore quads after a good set of squats.
    Sigh.

    LM

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> writes:
    > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    I don't mind them. Usually a good set of stretches and a bit of
    light exercise temporarily mostly relieves them, I've found.

    --
    Jim Seymour | "It is wrong always, everywhere and
    WARNING: The "From:" address is a | for everyone to believe anything upon

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Larisa" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    > Nope, not the only one. Me too. I can't do squats, still (stupid
    > knee!), and I rather miss having sore quads after a good set of squats.
    > Sigh.
    >
    > LM

    Bummer about the knee...
    Can you even do any leg extensions?
    Not _nearly_ as good as squats, but
    better than nothing???
    --
    Om.

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Runs With Knives) wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email protected]> writes:
    > > Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    > I don't mind them. Usually a good set of stretches and a bit of
    > light exercise temporarily mostly relieves them, I've found.

    Very true!
    --
    Om.

  17. Curt James

    Curt James Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > Or am I the only one that really
    > does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    It just means you're working. I wasn't familiar with the acronym, but
    I'm certainly familiar with the feeling. When the cross country season
    would start, I *knew* that the day following a long run wouldn't be as
    bad as the soreness of the day AFTER the day following or, yeah, the
    second day following the workout. Same applies to working arms, legs,
    etc. I know - if I've had an extra intense workout - that there will be
    hell to pay on that second day.

    And I would say that you're NOT the only one who doesn't mind. In fact,
    since it does mean I'm working then I'd say I actually enjoy a good
    case of DOMS.

    --
    Curt
    http://curtjames.com/

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Curt James" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > > Or am I the only one that really
    > > does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    > It just means you're working. I wasn't familiar with the acronym, but
    > I'm certainly familiar with the feeling. When the cross country season
    > would start, I *knew* that the day following a long run wouldn't be as
    > bad as the soreness of the day AFTER the day following or, yeah, the
    > second day following the workout. Same applies to working arms, legs,
    > etc. I know - if I've had an extra intense workout - that there will be
    > hell to pay on that second day.
    >
    > And I would say that you're NOT the only one who doesn't mind. In fact,
    > since it does mean I'm working then I'd say I actually enjoy a good
    > case of DOMS.
    >
    > --
    > Curt

    :)
    --
    Om.

  19. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:02:01 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    >Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    It depends. Actually, no it doesn't. I don't ever want a severe case
    of DOMS. A little soreness is okay though. Now that I'm going really
    heavy, I never get it.

    BTW, I popped out a rib again. I had it put back in place on
    Wednesday but I still have some nasty pain. I quit deadlifting
    tonight at 375 and I was planning on pulling a 505 or better. This is
    a different rib than last time. I'm glad I won't be doing another
    meet for another 7 months after the TCO.

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:02:01 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote in misc.fitness.weights:
    >
    > >Or am I the only one that really does not mind a good case of DOMS???

    > It depends. Actually, no it doesn't. I don't ever want a severe case
    > of DOMS. A little soreness is okay though. Now that I'm going really
    > heavy, I never get it.
    >
    > BTW, I popped out a rib again. I had it put back in place on
    > Wednesday but I still have some nasty pain. I quit deadlifting
    > tonight at 375 and I was planning on pulling a 505 or better. This is
    > a different rib than last time. I'm glad I won't be doing another
    > meet for another 7 months after the TCO.

    Ow. :-(

    I think I'll pass on that one!

    You have my empathy.
    --