am ""I"" woMAN enough to cycle though???

kek

Aug 7, 2006
Hello everyone, yes, I'm another new one. My question is this - how do I know if I have enough guts to really cycle? I see these women on their road bikes (on the paved trail next to the highway I'm driving on) and I think I want to do that. They look so lean and sexy and healthy - I want to be like that. I do have some Univega simple sit up and pedal bike and me and my 16 yr old son do go on rides together and I love them. We have a computer on his and he sets the pace - the most we have done is 20 miles at avg speed of 14.5mph (according to the computer that is). But how do I know I"m brave enough? How do I know I'm woman enough to go out and buy a bike like those other 'real' cyclists have that I admire on that trail?
IF I do this I would want a road bike. But how do they ride bent over like that? What about the fear of falling? if I have that fear am I too girlie to really ride? I could never wear those clipless pedals (see, too scared of falling) would that matter? About the bike (if I do this) - is an entry level bike a good way to go to start ? or are you better going a bit better from the start?
One more question (for now only, I'm sure) - when I'm riding I hurt between my shoulder blades - I keep trying to push my shoulders away from my ears but it makes little difference, is it me or is it the bike? what causes this and how do I make it stop?
Ok, that's enough for now. OH! by the way, I'm 40 and just quit smoking six months ago - I have about 15 lbs I would also like to lose - but, I do keep up with the 16 yr old skinny male son on our rides ( I do have slicker tires though - that's about the only difference, he is on a Schwin cruiser I think)

thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer. I'm seriously considering this and while I"m saving I'm reading and trying to learn.

kek :)

not a woman but i have answered the same question for my males friends. the simplest answer is that you are at point A, and they are at point B. the only way to get there is to train (which will get your shoulders used to bending over and increase your abilities and confidence to ride hunched over and with clipless pedals) and to upgrade your equipment.

i'm guessing most of them started out like you...a bit out of shape and wondering if they could keep up and become a "cyclist."

yes you can. just do it and keep track of your progress.

cheapie said:
the only way to get there is to train (which will get your shoulders used to bending over and increase your abilities and confidence to ride hunched over and with clipless pedals) and to upgrade your equipment.

Thanks for the reply Cheapie. About those clipless pedels though - do you HAVE to use those if you want to do this anything more than 'tootling along'? The whole idea seems frightening - ie. not getting your feet out in time and falling .... as a grown up I also need my arms to work and they are no use with the broken wrists.

Can anyone recomend a decent 'entry level' bike? I'm reading and the more I read the more there seems to be out there for confusion.

thanks again

Kek

kek said:
About those clipless pedels though - do you HAVE to use those if you want to do this anything more than 'tootling along'? The whole idea seems frightening - ie. not getting your feet out in time and falling .... as a grown up I also need my arms to work and they are no use with the broken wrists.
I have been cycling for about one year now and sometimes I still have issues with my clipless pedals (I was terrified to start using them), but it makes a WORLD of difference to have them. They are not as difficult to get out of as you think, I have speed play pedals and LOVE them. Yes, I fell a few times...well acccording to my husband who rides....more than a few times :rolleyes:, but the key to becoming a cyclist is to get back up and ride again. Honestly the only times I've fallen was when stopping so I wasn't going fast at all. Got maybe a skinned knee, skinned elbow...nothing much.

I'm not sure on what would be a good entry level as my husband bought my bike for me and apparently got me a very nice bike for anyone to ride. One key is to be able to test them out...everyone's body is different. I test rode a few women's bikes, but ended up on a men's bike--it was more comfortable for me. Although make sure to get some good shorts with a chamois/padding and a good seat (I'm still looking for a good seat--any suggestions out there for women's specific seats??)

Good luck!:D

kek said:
Hello everyone, yes, I'm another new one. My question is this - how do I know if I have enough guts to really cycle? I see these women on their road bikes (on the paved trail next to the highway I'm driving on) and I think I want to do that. They look so lean and sexy and healthy - I want to be like that.

kek :)
The only difference between you and them is that they are on bikes - so if you go and get a road bike, ride it, then you will be one of them. It's not really a big deal - road bikes are rather easy to ride, clipless pedals take a little getting used to but it doesn't take too long. Also, you can adjust the tension on clipless pedals, so you are not really locked in them or anything, it's just a twist of the heal and you're out.

Maybe if you raised your saddle height a little, that might help with the shoulder blade problem - I generally set my saddle so I have a slight bend in the knee when I have my pedal at six o'clock.

And yes an entry level road bike would do wonders - there are some really nice bikes around - look at the Giant, Felt, Lemond and a host of others, the Schwinn Fastback Sport got a good review in Bicycling Magazine's Buyers Guide in April 2006, and it's only $600(US). Those entry level Jamis look nice as well. Any good entry level bike will make a big difference to your riding and your confidence.

Have fun.

Maybe your handlebars are a little too wide, although I'm not sure how big a problem that is for hybrid/mountain bikes.

I say if it's something that appeals to you, go for it and don't worry so much. When I got my first road bike, I thought it looked uncomfortable to be bent over like that, but it really isn't. You see some guys with their seat so high and their bars so low, but at their level, they can have their center of gravity so high and it won't matter. It looks scary, but when you ride, it's okay. My first road bike was a Trek 1000, but really all entry level bikes from any brand are about the same. They will run around $700 I believe.

As far as clipless pedals, it only took me two months or real riding to dive into them. They are much more efficent, for one. You don't waste energy like you do with just regular pedals. I only have fallen on them one time from my own stupidity- forgetting to clip out as you slow down. If you practice on a trainer for 10 minutes clipping in and out, it's no hassle at all. You just have to be aware as you are stopping that you are connected to your bike.

Good luck, and don't be afraid of road bikes or clipless pedals or anything. The sport needs more women!

Why not try strapless toe clips? Much more versatile than cleats(you can wear ordinary sneakers). Experiment with them on a conventional bike first as road bikes take a bit of getting used to anyway. That's how I did it! Wouldn't go on any bike without toe clips now!

I am also a more mature rider. Once you have got used to these, can graduate to cleats. Personally to me there is little advantage!

My change from mtb- upright position to road bike meant that l had to gradually get used to the balance difference.Wider handle bars on mtb means you feel safer/broader.But at our age all it takes is a little regular practice and youll be flying.Practice braking,and turning maybe ask about for some basic riding lessons as its best not to aquire bad habits,l did and l learnt some very handy/important tips.(and lve been riding for over 20 yrs) l would get used to the bike before purchasing clipless pedals though.

welcome to the obsession!

Hi ladies - me again :) Well I bought my first (entry level) road bike - a Giant OCR 3 (a man's bike) it's the one I liked the feel of the most at the shop.

I've had it 6 days and today will be my 4th ride on it - I'm finding each ride feels easier than the previous confidence wise that is.

I've got the toe clips on with sneakers right now and I've got them pretty loose, I'll tighten them as my confidence grows I think. I'm still getting used to the fact I'm actually doing this.

My two main problems right now are:

1. My lower back aches slightly. I got the seat height right I believe (my knees didn't ache since) and now I'm playing with the handle bars - this bike has an adjustble stem - so I'm thinking I'm too stretched out or leaning too far downwards or I'm just not used to it. Any ideas are welcome.

2. The area where the nose of the saddle touches - HURTS ! The saddle is flat. How do you lean forwards and not have your private parts pushed in to the front of the saddle? I've read that my back is supposed to be straight - if that's so, then leaning forward with a straight back would definatly push me into the front of the saddle. How is my pelvis supposed to be situated on the saddle and would a woman's saddle make a huge difference? remember I am on a man's bike. If so - can anyone suggest a decent one?

In the meantime I'm searching the forums and the internet for suggestions and advice.
ps. I bought the cycle shorts after my first ride. NOW I know why everyone wears them !!!! I did wonder.

thanks in advance for ANY suggestions - it is appreciated.

I was scared of clipless pedals too -- but I wanted to ride well badly enough to fall off!! The second time I rode the bike, I went on an urban ride with a group. I stopped counting after I fell six times. (I am also very uncoordinated so you will probably fall less.) I should have practiced clipping in and out more... Anyway, it never hurt that bad, only my pride and I got some nice bruises and a minor skinned knee. AND, I got the admiration of the LBS crew I was riding with for not quitting. Now, I can "run" up hills (pull) when I need an extra boost instead of just pushing pedals. Also, clipless pedals have kept me from falling on my mountain bike, once I learned how to use them.

I got my road bike the first of June 2006 and this past weekend rode 66 miles. It makes me feel wonderful (and, it is a GREAT way to get over a broken heart) and strong and young! I bought a Giant OCR2. I paid full MSRP at my LBS but got free tune-ups for the life of the bike, a welcoming group of new friends and tons of encouragement. I did NOT get this from the shop where I bought my mountain bike several years ago. So, my advice is -- go to a local bike shop with the friendliest, most helpful and least "snooty" folks and buy what they sell, whether it be Giant or Trek or Schwinn. Having a good shop to back you up and encourage you and make you feel a part of things is probably just as important as the brand of your bike.

P.S. After my first ride, I was rubbed raw, too -- and the bike shop guy recommended moving my saddle back just a tiny bit and that took care of it. A&D cream (for diaper rash) is very soothing for raw genitals.

kek-
Your lower back and seat issues might be related. When you lean forward, are you hollowing out your back? If you do this, your pelvis tilts forward, making more contact between your genitals and the nose of the seat, plus you're caving in your lower back, which can cause strain. Try rounding over a little more and keeping your weight on your sit bones.

If this doesn't help, then the seat might still be in the wrong position--such that you aren't balanced with your upper body where the seat currently is. Maybe the height is ok, but it might need to be pushed back and then dropped down, or some other forward/aft adjustment. Or, if lower back pain improves but your seat still hurts, you might need another seat. There are plenty of women's specific seats out there you can try.

haha, you sound just like me... I come from a very UNATHLETIC family.. I've done 8 years of gymnastics but because of 2 injuries I was a couch potato for an entire year and very out of shape and gained about 10lbs... It ended up that I couldn't do that sport anymore soooo... had to find something else. I've always seen the groups riding around and thought that looked like fun.. bought a road bike and started riding it in the park and up and down the trails with everyone passing me... what I found that made me into a real cyclist, was that I first had to feel like one and that meant looking like one! i bought a pair of shorts and a jersey and a new helmet (nothing expenseive mind you). after i got used to the bike (300 miles and 3 weeks). I joined the local bike club that had a development group for beginners... after 3 more weeks, got clipless pedals... the faster i went, the more and more i felt the part! I say go for it! if it looks like fun, chances are it IS fun and you've got to start somewhere... everyone else did... rather young or old..

I'm not THAT fast and I pass guys and girls alike on road bikes so there are all levels of the sport out there.