amateur old fart positive for EPO in grand fondo

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
From NYV:

As you may have heard, my teammate David Anthony tested positive for EPO at the Grand Fondo New York. Yup, EPO. At a Fondo. Of course he wasn't doping to win the Fondo, as that would be tremendously sad, he was doping to win amateur races, which actually might be even sadder. [COLOR= #ff0000]He was using pro-level methods of doping to compete against part time racers with full time jobs[/COLOR] and fuller time families.
http://nyvelocity.com/content/journals/2012/schmalz-two-fbfs-and-two-park-races

David Anthony confesses:
http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/2012/david-anthony-tests-positive

I hereby demand of The Inter-Galactic Anti-Doping Committee upgrade my fifth place finishing position at the Tuesday Evening World Championships be upgraded to at least a podium position, if not an outright win! I KNOW the first four finishers were doped! Or dopes!

Italian amateur busted with David Anthony:

Gabriele Guarini of Prato, Italy and David Anthony of New York both tested positive for EPO at Gran Fondo New York. Here is the full story. At a later stage I will write my opinion why we test at GFNY and why other cycling, running and triathlon events should do the same.

Two cyclists tested positive for EPO at Gran Fondo New York 2012 Two cyclists tested positive for EPO at Gran Fondo New York on May 20, 2012.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GFNY_dopingcontrol
PRLog (Press Release) - Jul 23, 2012 -
Two cyclists tested positive for EPO at Gran Fondo New York on May 20, 2012. David Anthony of New York City admitted today to having used the drug to enhance his performance at bike races. Gabriele Guarini from Prato, Italy accepted the results of his A sample.

"Of course we were shocked to hear the news on the positive tests, in particular given the use of EPO. EPO is a blood boosting drug that has to be injected and is not a simple over the counter product," says Gran Fondo New York CEO Ulrich Fluhme. "Doping control helps clean riders have fair competition. We believe that we came closer to achieving that by introducing out-of-competition (OOC) and in-competiton (IC) testing. All our OOC tests came back negative as did the vast majority of IC tests. Plus, the announcement of testing before the event kept away notorious cheaters."

The US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) was onsite in Weehawken, NJ, the finish site of Gran Fondo New York, on May 20, 2012 and conducted the testing. Gran Fondo New York appointed USADA to perform urine testing for both OOC and IC testing on its behalf. All doping control tests were conducted in accordance with the USA Anti-Doping Rules, which are in accord with World Anti-Doping Code and the International Standard for Testing.

In his statement issued on NYVelocity.com Anthony says: "I was using ways to improve my performance that were cheating. This was something that I alone did, and I take responsibility for it. My team, coaches and friends had absolutely no knowledge or participation in this."

"I hope he takes the chance to help fight doping," adds Gran Fondo New York President Lidia Fluhme. "He's done the first step: not fighting the test result. Now he has the opportunity to apologize to his rivals as well as reveal his suppliers and anyone else involved. While we will never again allow him to participate in Gran Fondo New York, we're inviting him for a Q&A with other athletes provided he does all of the above. Instead of just admitting it and going away from cycling, we hope he can become an outspoken advocate against doping, help cyclists who are doping to stop doping, and raise money for doping control programs at local races."

Five thousand cyclists from 72 countries took part at the second annual Gran Fondo New York International ("GFNY") on May 20, 2012. The event was preceded by the NYC Bike Expo, a two day exposition of all things road cycling in the heart of Manhattan with an attendance of 15,000 people. GFNY raised money for Operation Smile, a charity that provides children with facial deformities a normal life through surgery.

Photo:
http://www.prlog.org/11931719/1

[SIZE= 16px]http://www.prlog.org/11931719-two-cyclists-tested-positive-for-epo-at-gran-fondo-new-york-2012.html[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]Wait...wut? OOC testing for...AMATEURS?!?! Holy ****![/SIZE]

NY Gran Fondo doping... go figure.

Did they say where he procured? You know so I can avoid that particular part of town./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Meanwhile a Cat5 friend of mine, with a single race under his belt, and who is very dope free (he gives me a hard time for drinking a six pack), placed <200 out of the 6000, apparently alongside some elites and neo-pro's, on nothing but a steady diet of 200-250 weekly miles.

I'm pretty sure he got his dope from Lance.

Or GWB.

Always...blame Bush. Or Lance.

No clue where DA got his rocket fuel.

I've known guys like your Cat. 5 friend. They're Cat. 5 in USCF/USAC nomenclature only. And then's there's them thar retards that are too stoopid to know that pounding out 27-35 MPH is supposed to be painful.

What's the course profile for the NY fondue like? Edit: Nevermind...found it. http://granfondony.com/course/ Looks challenging. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/41345730/

You ever meet or know a Jewish long-haired freak and bike messenger from the City named Judah Apsell? Always rode a beat to snot Frejus. He's dead now, God rest his soul...but, he used to come over here to Ohio in the early 1970's with the NYC AYH group and ride TOSRV. I always wanted to do the 5-Borough Tour with him, but never made it, sadly.

Mention of Judah made here: http://www.5bbc.org/bicycletter/2005/07/callingallhistorybuffs.shtml

A 4 mile 4% climb is now Cat2?

I guess the classification took EPO into account!

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

A 4 mile 4% climb is now Cat2?

I guess the classification took EPO into account!
Not sure how cats are asigned to climbs but I've seen other sources indicate an average closer to 6% for New York's big bad Bear Mountain. There are some short steep pitches exceeding the avg. but otherwise it's just 4+ relentless miles up to 1200 ft. There are some gnarlier climbs out there no doubt but this is one of the tougher NY has to offer. This mountain delivered my first podium and I'll always have a soft spot for the mofo /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

I've known guys like your Cat. 5 friend. They're Cat. 5 in USCF/USAC nomenclature only. And then's there's them thar retards that are too stoopid to know that pounding out 27-35 MPH is supposed to be painful.
You ever meet or know a Jewish long-haired freak and bike messenger from the City named Judah Apsell? Always rode a beat to snot Frejus. He's dead now, God rest his soul...but, he used to come over here to Ohio in the early 1970's with the NYC AYH group and ride TOSRV. I always wanted to do the 5-Borough Tour with him, but never made it, sadly.
Funnily enough I met this kid when I was coming off my first season as a 4 and had some repectable legs. I cracked him on a climb and he spent the remainder of the year and the off-season vowing revenge and while I was off the bike swimming in a pool of beer for 3 months, he was doing 35 miles/day 6 days a week on his mountain bike through the dead of winter.

I never heard of Judah, but some of those old Frejus were sweet looking bikes, at least as far as the detail and lugwork. Too long in the wheelbase for my liking, at least aesthetically speaking.

How long have they been doing dope controls at grand fondo's?

Originally Posted by ambal .

How long have they been doing dope controls at grand fondo's?
Apparently more often than they used to as the suspected dopers didn't think twice. But any race that acts as a qualifier for the amateur world championships should have been enough cause to think twice. It's like the cheat sheet I used on an 8th grade history exam, even though I ended up studying a bit, I still took my crib note. When one is in a cheating frame of mind...

What I find amazing is how small I was able to write, and how the logistical effort to cheat took longer than the actual studying.

Originally Posted by danfoz .

Not sure how cats are asigned to climbs but I've seen other sources indicate an average closer to 6% for New York's big bad Bear Mountain. There are some short steep pitches exceeding the avg. but otherwise it's just 4+ relentless miles up to 1200 ft. There are some gnarlier climbs out there no doubt but this is one of the tougher NY has to offer. This mountain delivered my first podium and I'll always have a soft spot for the mofo /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
300ft a mile - is that actually a hill or a lump the village mole left behind?

:p

I never heard of Judah, but some of those old Frejus were sweet looking bikes, at least as far as the detail and lugwork. Too long in the wheelbase for my liking, at least aesthetically speaking.

Yeah...long wheelbase racers. Judah's was old enough to have grease zerks on the headset and bottom bracket.

I still remember some of his tales of working as a bike messenger in the city. That was long before being a messenger was 'cool' and he never rode a fixed gear like some metrosexual hipster. Long, stringy, greasy hair...woolen knickers...a dirty cycling cap...that aerodynamic nose...he was an original and a legend in the city, back in the day.

And I agree...or at least my legs do...4-6% for 4 miles is going to hurt at speed. We have a 600' climb in about 1-1/2 miles that climbs off the Ohio River Valley that's followed by a descent and another steep 400' climb. That will put the hurt in you.

4 miles at a significant effort anywhere is going to hurt... Ride spuds out on the flat for 10 minutes and it'll be carrot chunder time before you know it.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

4 miles at a significant effort anywhere is going to hurt... Ride spuds out on the flat for 10 minutes and it'll be carrot chunder time before you know it.
Hehe it was at effort... on a 26lb tank with a 42x18 low gear (ya don't need a dinner plate for 5-6%). My minute man caught me, but fortunately I caught mine. I puked at the top for extra dramatic effect. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

They call me Doctor Feelgood!

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS365&=&q=buy+epo+online&oq=buy+EPO&gs_l=igoogle.1.1.0l10.2348.4262.0.6643.7.7.0.0.0.0.418.1243.2-2j1j1.4.0...0.0...1ac.mD4te4M1fek

Two mirrrion hits on "buy epo online". Think Fondoman got it from China or Mexico? A slick New Yawk script doc? An aging Eyetalian fondo star searching for one last, glamorous win on Bare Mountain in the 65-70 age group? Some Joisey wise guy they call, "The Weasel"?

Stay tuned...Fondoman is gonna sing like a canary! Unless the Weasel's slick-haired friends put the fear of the Omerta in him!

In search of relevance, a Cat. 3 turns to EPO and HGH
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/08/news/in-search-of-relevance-a-cat-3-turns-to-epo-and-hgh_232611

Cat 3/4 + Battenkill + EPO + amateur forensic psychology = pulp (non) fiction

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

They call me Doctor Feelgood!

https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS365&=&q=buy+epo+online&oq=buy+EPO&gs_l=igoogle.1.1.0l10.2348.4262.0.6643.7.7.0.0.0.0.418.1243.2-2j1j1.4.0...0.0...1ac.mD4te4M1fek

Two mirrrion hits on "buy epo online". Think Fondoman got it from China or Mexico? A slick New Yawk script doc? An aging Eyetalian fondo star searching for one last, glamorous win on Bare Mountain in the 65-70 age group? Some Joisey wise guy they call, "The Weasel"?

Stay tuned...Fondoman is gonna sing like a canary! Unless the Weasel's slick-haired friends put the fear of the Omerta in him!
Why do that? EPO online is traceable via Customs when the stuff comes in the country. More than one athelete has been knobbled that way. Apparently isn't way easier to get it from your local health care provider...

EPO online is traceable via Customs when the stuff comes in the country.

Yeah, a script-doc would be way easier and it sounds like the dude in question had the cash. He had a personal coach...a Cat freakin' FIVE with a coach? Not even the Cat. 4 ER doc I knew had a coach.

He also bought an O2 tent? The payout at the Tueday Evening Worlds must be huge in New Yawk.

$500/month for HGh...[COLOR= #ff0000]he said was easy to get.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff0000]David was the guy who’d made the team, who had the great friends in the New York cycling scene.[/COLOR]

Meh...my take is that the guy is a typical cycling loser in search of something or someone he can relate to and being a successful racer filled that void in his "highly analytical mind". Dude was probably a headcase.

[COLOR= #ff0000]He had a CompuTrainer...[/COLOR]

OK...was there any toy this guy did NOT have?

[COLOR= #ff0000]“I was getting shelled as a three. I wasn’t getting any results,”[/COLOR]

Welcome to my world.

[COLOR= #ff0000]To be more relevant, Anthony was spending $1,000 a month.[/COLOR]

Hey! I can swing that! Hmmmm? what's a coach run these days? I got a Grand Fondo coming up...just think...finishing in the top 25 of a podunk Fondo!

[COLOR= #ff0000]When written out, the mere facts of Anthony’s story are indicative of a deep obsession — something he said his personality lends itself to naturally. He was spending thousands on the drugs, was training under oxygen depravation and racing three times a week as a Cat. 3. His best result while on the drugs was a 16th place in the Killington Stage Race’s time trial in the Cat. 2 field, in late May of this year. He came into the sport weighing about 160 pounds. Three years later, he was tipping the scales around 144.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #ff0000]“By 2012, my entire life was in the service of racing. It was like, coach, power meters, tent, doping,” Anthony said. “It was just off the deep end.[/COLOR]

Yup. Headcase. Analytical moron with no common sense.

[COLOR= #ff0000]Anthony broke his leg, in three places, in a club race in Central Park.[/COLOR]

Cool. New Yawkahs race as stoopid as we do here in Ohio. "I'd kill your mother to win that $2 cheesy medal!".

[COLOR= #ff0000]The Internet is brimming with hate.[/COLOR]

Could be. Me? I just laugh at it all.