Amateur Racing/Riding in Paris

BeeGuy

May 12, 2003
I'll be in the Paris area for a month and I'm looking to ride with a club for training and/or racing. I'm a Cat 4. I had a contact via this group (Sylvain where are you?) in Bois D'Arcy, but we've lost contact. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

chris
ne iowa, us

Hey Chris,
I have raced throughout Europe, and racing in France, while extremely high quality, can be tough to get a foot in the door with. You typically have to be attached to a french team, or part of one that gets invited (at least thats how it was when I was there last). Paris is a nutty huge city that over all isnt the greatest for recreational cycling, but if you make it to the surrounding areas you might find some nice organized rides.

If you have any time at all - get to Belgium (cycling paradise) with your international racing liscene for a weekend, and go race a kermese - it will rock your entire perception of how fast a race can be. Areas surrounding Ghent in particular are great for kermeses and on any given day you will have four or five to choose from. The amount of cyclist on the road can also make for fantastic riding as well, in particular the canals. Just watch out for rabits.

Good luck. Happy trails.

- n -