Amateur Stage Races in the USA

rayhuang

Jul 27, 2006
Can people post up some Stage races that are Amateur friendly in the States? Also-if youve done them, some of your thoughts? I am planning out some of the A races I want to do next summer and one stage race would be awesome!! I did one a long time ago and it was truly a blast.

Ray

rayhuang said:
Can people post up some Stage races that are Amateur friendly in the States? Also-if youve done them, some of your thoughts? I am planning out some of the A races I want to do next summer and one stage race would be awesome!! I did one a long time ago and it was truly a blast.

Ray

How big of a race are you looking for? (What CAT are you - aren't us lower cats restricted to only a few stages? The most I have done as a 4, women's 4 that is, is 4 over 3 days) The Pacific NW has a lot of great stage racing.
Up here in Washington we have Walla Walla, Methow Valley, Wenatchee, Enumclaw, and at least one new one this year. My favorite Washington race this year was Walla Walla.
I also did some racing in Oregon. I know they have more stage races than two, but I did the Mt. Hood Cycling Classic (this is an NRC race, so if you want to rub elbows with the pros you might like this one, but if you don't like fast, hairy descents on tiny roads don't do this one!) and Elkhorn, which was my favorite race last year, but sadly may not be put on this year as the organizer has decided to go on to something else. I'm really hoping someone will pick this one up. It was probably the best race I did all year.
I'm guessing California also has some great stage racing (they certainly have some great racers even in the amateur ranks). I believe even Sea Otter has amateur classifications.

If you are interested in checking out any of the races you can go to:
Washington
http://www.pazzovelo.com/events/ (the calendar will eventually be up on the WSBA's web site, but I think they are leaving the 06 calendar up until cross season is over)
Oregon
http://www.obra.org/schedule/2007/schedlist.html

Eden-thanks. I was a Cat3 when I quit racing so I hope to be Cat3 by end of next fall. I will be a Masters too.

I would see any Stage race for me now as training and fun of course-so I would be happy in a Cat.3/4 stage race, but a Cat1-3 Stage race would of course be awesome again someday.

rayhuang said:
Eden-thanks. I was a Cat3 when I quit racing so I hope to be Cat3 by end of next fall. I will be a Masters too.

I would see any Stage race for me now as training and fun of course-so I would be happy in a Cat.3/4 stage race, but a Cat1-3 Stage race would of course be awesome again someday.

There are enough men racing out here that most of the categories are usually separate. Usually Pro-1-2 race together, but 3's, 4's, and often 5's get separate fields. If the 5's race with anyone it's just the 4's. 3's pretty much always get to race alone. Now if you want to pretend to be a woman...... I did some races this year that were completely combined, but that is mainly because we sometimes don't have enough racers to split it up.

If by the end of summer you've worked back up to a 3 and are feeling ambitious you could go to the Cascade Classic. I've heard its a hard hard race, but once again you get to rub elbows with the pros.

In New England:
- Tour of Fitchburg, MA (July). higher key, pros are there. Separate 3's.
- Bob Beals Masters Stage Race, RI (Sept). lower key. Masters 30-34, 35-39, etc. No categorization other than no 5's so you get some very good Masters racers.
- Green Mountain Stage race. Apparently this uses some of the former Killington Stage Race routes. pros are there, 3's, Masters.

Check out www.ne-bra.org, www.bikereg.com, and www.usacycling.org.

good luck
cdr

I found one in my own backyard. If they hold it again in 2007 its the Tour of Ohio race hosted by Tym Tyler of Team Columbus. Cat1-3 as well as Cat 3/4 events. One great event is at the Mid-Ohio Sports car course, a track Ive raced enduro karts at for years. I always thought it would be fun to race bicycles on it!!