Amazing appearances at your local race?

Catabolic_Jones

May 5, 2005
My local vet's club, Sidney Velo puts on an 18 km TT every Tuesday night. It usually draws a large crowd of triathletes, elete and otherwise, as well as a few roadies. The owner of the course record, Roland Green (21:09), Ryder Hesjedal (22:01) and Simon Whitfield (24:36) and Samantha McGlone (27:11) have all appeared.

It's quite a cachet to get a 'Green' sighting. Not sure what he pulled tonight but he did have his legs over a blinged-out Trek TT unit from his days with Postal.

What'r your club-cachet sightings?

I was at a local race once and wondering who the Cat 5 was that was warming up in a Chevy/LA Sheriff's outfit (that day the Cat 5's raced after the P/1/2/3 which was my race). At the line it ended up being Jim Copeland, former US Pro Crit champion. He did look much leaner and tanner than a typical 5.

In NY there is a group ride in Westchester County. One day on that ride I noticed a rabid Rabobank fan - full kit, bike (Colnago), even the spinnergy wheels. When I realized he even had the gloves and booties I asked a friend if that was a pro. Ends up it was Marc Wauters (sp?). At the first of two sprints we all marked him as he was chasing things down. But he never jumped and we were all left there at 150 meters to go realizing all the early jumpers had won. People asked me (I was on his wheel) why I didn't jump. I pointed at him and said "I was waiting for him!". He laughed and explained that after a full World Cup schedule he was just taking it easy. Very nice guy.

I wasn't there but once Phil Anderson showed up at the same ride. The next day something like 200+ riders showed up hoping he'd ride again. Not to be. And in another ride (1994 I suppose) a group ride caught up to someone wearing the World Championship jersey. One rider, not pleased that someone other than the World Champion would be wearing the jersey, rode up to said individual and asked him "Who do you think you are, Lance Armstrong????". The rider turned to him. It was Lance. haha. He was a nice guy apparently and talked with ppl. The next ride was packed but no Lance sighting.

Had robbie ventura formerly of us postal show up to one of our races, that was cool to see. also went on a group ride where a few people from the jelly belly team showed up, adam bergman ect. they handed out jelly beans before the ride and then made us all hurt.

Cool stories.

Alas, no Lance sighting for me, and none in the cards. Pretty pleased with my Roland Green sighting, though.

I also did see Kabush out on a ride here in Victoria. Quite an eccentric-looking chap. Really enjoy his diaries on cyclingnews.com

Bradley Wiggins of Credit Agricole, who is also a triple Olympic medalist (athens), regulary makes apperances at crits and time trials in my area. he did a 10 just recently on one of my regular TTs and SMASHED the course record with something like 18:21.

Levi Leiphimer is from Santa Rosa where I have lived my whole life. He is always in the bike shop I go to. He grew up with the owner of the bike shop I go to and rides with him all winter Ive been good friends with Mike the owner of the shop for a long time but I havnt got the courage to ask if i can go on a ride yet, maybe this winter.

Ryder Hesjedal, Geoff Kabush, and Andres Hestler used to hit a mountain bike race in my home town of Bellingham, Washington every year. The last year I saw Hesjedal race here was 2000. Kabush's last time racing here was '01 I believe. This mountain bike race is sponsored by Kona (Kona world headquarters are located in a small town 10 miles away) and I hear rumors that some of the Kona pro's might hit this race up again this year because they will be in the area preparing for the Sandpoint NORBA which is the following week.

All I can say is that seeing Ryder Hesjedal race here in 2000 inspired me to start training and racing. His performance was the most amazing thing I've witnessed. That guy is fast.