Amazing Armstrong withdrawal

What sucks is that all those people who turned up to see him will feel that they've been robbed when actually there was some really good racing going on and Downing won with panache. Still, that's what you get when you allow one rider to overshadow the sport :rolleyes:

Weather was miserable over here today - torrential rain with very heavy showers all day.
Dreadful cycling conditions.

great win for Downing : he witheld against three Saxo riders (O grady, Kolobnev aand Kroon).
Super performance by RD.

Yeah, Armstrong should have finished the race - he dropped out before they did the first climb of St Patricks Hill in Cork.

The supporters got to see an excellent stage though today.

limerickman said:
Weather was miserable over here today - torrential rain with very heavy showers all day.
Dreadful cycling conditions.

great win for Downing : he witheld against three Saxo riders (O grady, Kolobnev aand Kroon).
Super performance by RD.

Yeah, Armstrong should have finished the race - he dropped out before they did the first climb of St Patricks Hill in Cork.

The supporters got to see an excellent stage though today.

Come on now folks! I was one of the hundreds (thousands???) who turned up to see Armstrong today on St Patrick's hill. Having travelled the 200+ miles and having stood in the torrential rain, I was gutted he didn't have the courtesy to at least attempt one circuit! To me, he may as well have given the middle finger to each and every fan who stood there for hours or drew his name on the road. Let's be honest, would the Tour of Ireland have even gone ahead had it not been for Armstrong's entry?

What did he say again? Oh yeah, "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever". Enough said.

micron said:
What sucks is that all those people who turned up to see him will feel that they've been robbed when actually there was some really good racing going on and Downing won with panache. Still, that's what you get when you allow one rider to overshadow the sport :rolleyes:

hear, hear!

It must have been bad though as most of the field abandoned, didn't they?

JAPANic said:
It must have been bad though as most of the field abandoned, didn't they?

True, I think 47 finished the stage - 104 started :)

Kroon and O Grady and few of the hardcore riders managed to complete stage 3.

I went to Stage 2 of the race.
Managed to get in to the SAXO team bus and met O Grady, Kurt Arvesen (the highlight for me), Jakob Fulsgang and Matti Breschel.
Very nice experience and a very friendly bunch.

Got to meet LA too.
******** McQuaid asked me if I would like to meet him - so I went along to the Astana truck and said hello.
Armstrong was pretty relaxed - he was prepared to sign plenty of autographs and to chat with people.
Looked like a man without a care in the world.

I agree with what the posters said about Cork though.
A lot of the spectators went to Armstrong ride St Patricks Hill.
He should have done one circuit.

limerickman said:
S.

Had a chat to him a couple of years ago when he was on Oz. Nice genuine bloke. Tough as nails on the bike. Good to see him have a big win.

classic1 said:
Had a chat to him a couple of years ago when he was on Oz. Nice genuine bloke. Tough as nails on the bike. Good to see him have a big win.

Yep - he just missed out on last years winners jersey, so it was nice to see him win it this year.
He did a superb ride - held off Kroon, O Grady, Breschel : that is some going.

And he does come across as a nice guy.

Cavendish got huge support from the crowds here.
Firm favourite over here.

gmdave2002 said:
Come on now folks! I was one of the hundreds (thousands???) who turned up to see Armstrong today on St Patrick's hill. Having travelled the 200+ miles and having stood in the torrential rain, I was gutted he didn't have the courtesy to at least attempt one circuit! To me, he may as well have given the middle finger to each and every fan who stood there for hours or drew his name on the road. Let's be honest, would the Tour of Ireland have even gone ahead had it not been for Armstrong's entry?

What did he say again? Oh yeah, "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever". Enough said.
;)
micron said:
. Still, that's what you get when you allow one rider to overshadow the sport :rolleyes:

Elliot won the points jersey in the Vuelta in '89- no mean feat. I enjoy his punditry on Eurosport as well. All in all a thoroughly good egg.

micron said:

Great win for Downing! Shows that some still have the hunger no matter the weather. (Spent a fantastic winter in Ireland one summer, by the way). Armstrong proves that sometimes the bigger one's head gets, the smaller one's attachments get. A real let down for his fans who had to brave the elements for the better part of a day. A slap in the face to a beautiful Tour also.

lance_armstrong said:
great win for downing! Shows that some still have the hunger no matter the weather. (spent a fantastic winter in ireland one summer, by the way). Armstrong proves that sometimes the bigger one's head gets, the smaller one's attachments get. A real let down for his fans who had to brave the elements for the better part of a day. A slap in the face to a beautiful tour also.

lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cavendish also pulled out but nothing was said against him.

LA was still tired from doing GC in the tour and the training for leadville. The guy is almost 38 - give him a break.

TheDangerMan said:
Cavendish also pulled out but nothing was said against him.

LA was still tired from doing GC in the tour and the training for leadville. The guy is almost 38 - give him a break.

perhaps armstrong should consider retirement.