AMB- anger mangement problems.....

On Jun 14, 4:10 pm, "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> .
>
> > Probably the biggest difference is we're not so prissy and sensitive,
> > and generally don't shave our legs and wear pink so we can show off to
> > the boys at the coffee shop when standing in line to order a soy-decaf-
> > hazelnut-latte. (after riding 4 hours, nose-to-butt behind other leg-
> > shaven roadies),

> > Glad you asked, and I'm always happy to help. ;)

> > CDB
> > King of the Barneys

> --------------
> I don't shave my legs (there isn't much there to shave), and in endurance
> you don't draft. Tried racing, but I couldn't afford the hospital bills
> from those stupid pace line crashes you get into, so I got out of it. And
> besides it was boring, going in circles, going no where.

I'm a doctor and know a little latin. Your internet name really
means, "Buns of Steel." What with all that riding you're doing.
Jimminy Christmas.

CDB
King of the Barneys

On Jun 14, 10:11 am, Booker C. Bense <bbense+alt.mountain.bike.Jun.
[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> MattB <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Callistus Valerius wrote:

> >If you don't like it here then go somewhere else. You came in with an
> >attitude similar to "sticking a broom handle into a hornets nest". So
> >why does it surprise you the hornets got ******?

> _Being a troll is his other hobby... as the all the roadies
> already know and don't pay any attention to him anymore.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense

Like we couldn't see that he/she/it is just another idiot/troll?
Thanks for setting us straight, booger.

JD

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:49:18 -0700, Callistus Valerius
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Coming from the road ultracyling community, and now a newbie to
> mountain
> biking I have noticed a very startling difference between the two. While
> the ultracyling community, is helpful, share information readily on
> equipment, techniques, tactics, training, etc, I see none of that in
> mtb. I
> see a group of immature idiots with anger management problems. Where
> everyone's equipment (except their's, of course) is POS. While a roadie
> finds ways to make his stuff works, a mtb guy tries to find ways to break
> it, and then proclaims to the world it's a POS. My recent post, after my
> own quick study, that showed the superiority of the 29 design over the
> mistake of the 26 inch wheel, was like sticking a broom handle into a
> hornets nest. I'm not going to let this discourage me, because I have
> already seen some improvement in my road riding, from doing some mtb, as
> it
> has increased some strength in my legs. Don't know why, but it has. I
> wanted some variety, from the constant vigilence of watching for cars, to
> riding in the boonies. I don't think I'll ever adopt the philosophy of
> trying to break my bike to show everyone how big of a POS it was,
> because in
> ultracycling if something breaks, you may end up with a 200 mile walk
> home
> ahead of you. And I just don't like walking. But just give me a
> chance, to
> enjoy what I hope will be enjoyable cycling.

Of course it's culture shock for you; you're used to the soft, smooth
legged, feminine world of GRS. And
judging by your whining, you're still GRS.

This group is for men and [real] women who love MTB'ing.

Here, this might be of interest to you:
http://www.grsmontreal.com/anglais.html
--
Slack

On Jun 14, 4:06 pm, "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > > endurance road, my training rides are at least 200 miles long, lots

> of
> > > night riding, lots of blinkies and reflective clothes.

> > So you only ride once a week?

> I ride 250 miles, during the work week (I'm a commuter), and either do
> two 100 mile rides on the weekend, or one 200 mile ride and then an easy 25
> mtb ride. If you're doing endurance training, the 200 mile ride will help
> you, the two 100 mile rides doesn't (they're just for fun). Don't know why,
> but it's better to do one long one, and nothing, than two even ones. I live
> in the desert, so for this time of the year, a double means I have to start
> by 3am, to escape a lot of the heat. But there is very little traffic, a
> plus. The minus is you have to dodge some drunks trying to get home from
> their boring parties (been there, done that).
>
> I only look at two things on my shape, heart rate, and weight. My resting
> is 30, and my weight ranges from 160 to 170. The rest of it, I don't care
> about.
>
> BTW, a double century is nothing to brag about, I've seen complete novices
> do it, that have only been riding only a few months. But usually, they're
> older, and like they say in endurance, it's 50% mental, and the older ones
> usually have the mental discipline to do it. They might be crushed
> physically at the end, but they make it.

>but I ride 10,000 miles a year,<

Yep that's what got my attention. Do the math. you just described a
~23,000 mile training year ... with out races. With that kind of
mileage you would have no problem being in the top ranks for the UMCA
Year-Rounder competition.

Actually, Lon's quote was ... it's 80% mental. But then again he also
created the Seefood diet.

You are really not a very good troll.

BTW have you called Pete and let him know about the heart attack that
is headed his way?

Scott Gordo wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2:40 pm, "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:
>>> ">
>>> endurance road, my training rides are at least 200 miles long, lots of
>>> night riding, lots of blinkies and reflective clothes.

>> Sounds as exciting as watching paint dry.
>>

> I've done one. 207 miles from Port Jervis to Cape May. I think it took
> us fourteen hours. It was fun because I:
>
> - was riding with three good friends

Well, there's the difference. Crescentius doesn't have friends.

Greg

--
The ticketbastard Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky

On 2007-06-14, Callistus Valerius <[email protected]> wrote:
> Coming from the road ultracyling community, and now a newbie to mountain
> biking I have noticed a very startling difference between the two. While
> the ultracyling community, is helpful, share information readily on
> equipment, techniques, tactics, training, etc, I see none of that in mtb. I
> see a group of immature idiots with anger management problems.

<delurk>

I assume this is about your post about 29ers the other day.

If you read all the way to the end of my post in RBT:

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/1ca445f228468c98>

then you knew perfectly well that 29ers are a controvorsial topic. You
also had in your hand a list of some reasons why somebody might prefer
a 26" wheeled bike. Despite that, you posted this:

> Does anyone know why Trek and Specialized are stonewalling the 29er
> revolution? It's obvious to anyone now, that the 29er is the way to go.
> Trek has a 69er, that is truely an extended middle finger to the 29er
> movement. They make bikes, why not make something people want, and is
> superior to what they offer now?

Now, how did you suppose the majority of people who are quite happy on
26" wheel bikes would react to that? Anybody who saw your post in RBT
knew everything that I outlined above, and I wouldn't blame them for
taking you for a troll. I wouldn't blame anyone who *didn't* see it for
taking you for a shill for some company with an interest in 29ers.

By Usenet standards, and considering the way you made your entry to
AMB, I think you got flamed pretty gently.

If you take the time to get some dirt on your tires and meet people out
on the trail, I think that you'll find mountain bikers to be more
sociable and less gear-obsessed than first appearances suggest. Just
like roadies, really, which should be no surprise considering how much
the two groups overlap. Don't take the treatment that you got here as
an indictment of the whole sport, especially when you threw the first
stone.

> > I ride 250 miles, during the work week (I'm a commuter), and either
do
> > two 100 mile rides on the weekend, or one 200 mile ride and then an easy

25
> > mtb ride. If you're doing endurance training, the 200 mile ride will

help
> > you, the two 100 mile rides doesn't (they're just for fun). Don't know

why,
> > but it's better to do one long one, and nothing, than two even ones. I

live
> > in the desert, so for this time of the year, a double means I have to

start
> > by 3am, to escape a lot of the heat. But there is very little traffic,

> > plus. The minus is you have to dodge some drunks trying to get home

from
> > their boring parties (been there, done that).
> >
> > I only look at two things on my shape, heart rate, and weight. My

resting
> > is 30, and my weight ranges from 160 to 170. The rest of it, I don't

care
> > about.
> >
> > BTW, a double century is nothing to brag about, I've seen complete

novices
> > do it, that have only been riding only a few months. But usually,

they're
> > older, and like they say in endurance, it's 50% mental, and the older

ones
> > usually have the mental discipline to do it. They might be crushed
> > physically at the end, but they make it.

> >but I ride 10,000 miles a year,<

> Yep that's what got my attention. Do the math. you just described a
> ~23,000 mile training year ... with out races. With that kind of
> mileage you would have no problem being in the top ranks for the UMCA
> Year-Rounder competition.
>
> Actually, Lon's quote was ... it's 80% mental. But then again he also
> created the Seefood diet.

> You are really not a very good troll.
>
> BTW have you called Pete and let him know about the heart attack that
> is headed his way?

------------
10,000 miles is average, over my cycling career. I never do less than that
(unless I get into mtb in a serious way - because I don't count mtb miles),
but sometimes I do 12-15,000 miles. I don't ride to add up miles, some do,
but I don't. I just keep monthy totals on each of my 4 road bikes, mostly
for maintenance reasons. Sometimes I add them up, out of curosity. It's
23,000+ miles to go around the earth at the equator, so I've made 5 orbits,
so far. I do a month of seakayaking, so obviously I don't ride then. I
haven't pooped my pants out of fear yet, from seakayaking, but I've been
damn close. Have to mix it up, or it gets dull and stale. Also kayaking
gives me the upper body workout I lack when I ride. In my case it's 50%
mental, but that's what separates the men from the boys. I've rarely seen,
what I consider children, do well in long-distance riding. They always have
to hold hands with someone, friends are just a substitute for Mommy, or they
just get scared.

On Jun 14, 8:12 pm, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > > I ride 250 miles, during the work week (I'm a commuter), and either

> do
> > > two 100 mile rides on the weekend, or one 200 mile ride and then an easy

> 25
> > > mtb ride. If you're doing endurance training, the 200 mile ride will

> help
> > > you, the two 100 mile rides doesn't (they're just for fun). Don't know

> why,
> > > but it's better to do one long one, and nothing, than two even ones. I

> live
> > > in the desert, so for this time of the year, a double means I have to

> start
> > > by 3am, to escape a lot of the heat. But there is very little traffic,

> > > plus. The minus is you have to dodge some drunks trying to get home

> from
> > > their boring parties (been there, done that).

> > > I only look at two things on my shape, heart rate, and weight. My

> resting
> > > is 30, and my weight ranges from 160 to 170. The rest of it, I don't

> care
> > > about.

> > > BTW, a double century is nothing to brag about, I've seen complete

> novices
> > > do it, that have only been riding only a few months. But usually,

> they're
> > > older, and like they say in endurance, it's 50% mental, and the older

> ones
> > > usually have the mental discipline to do it. They might be crushed
> > > physically at the end, but they make it.

> > >but I ride 10,000 miles a year,<

> > Yep that's what got my attention. Do the math. you just described a
> > ~23,000 mile training year ... with out races. With that kind of
> > mileage you would have no problem being in the top ranks for the UMCA
> > Year-Rounder competition.

> > Actually, Lon's quote was ... it's 80% mental. But then again he also
> > created the Seefood diet.

> > You are really not a very good troll.

> > BTW have you called Pete and let him know about the heart attack that
> > is headed his way?

> ------------
> 10,000 miles is average, over my cycling career.

LOL the one that started ~3 years ago.

<snip blather >

> I just keep monthy totals on each of my 4 road bikes, mostly
> for maintenance reasons.

ooooooo 4 road bikes ......

> 23,000+ miles to go around the earth at the equator, so I've made 5 orbits,
> so far.

In three years .... wow your average really went up

> I do a month of seakayaking, so obviously I don't ride then.

In the desert .... that you live in?

> In my case it's 50%
> mental, but that's what separates the men from the boys.

In your case it's 100% mental.

You know so much more than Lon or any of the others from UMCA

<snip>

< mindless blather >

So when do you give Pete that call about his heart?

Your eyes are brown aren't they

> > I do a month of seakayaking, so obviously I don't ride then.

> In the desert .... that you live in?

------------
Sea of Cortez, take a look on the map and be educated. It's great out
there, but can be treacherous. This time of the year the water is 80
degrees, so about now you can lose the wet suit. In the winter though, it
drops to 50 degrees. When the tsunami killed all those people, off of
Thailand, we looked on the internet, for when the waves would go up the Sea
of Cortez, and we were out there when they reverberated there. Kind of
mixed seas, nothing dangerous, just unusual wave action. Just got a new
carbon fiber paddle, can't wait to get down there, and try it out. Wore out
the old one, 10 years of paddling with that old friend. Where the two
pieces of the paddle come together, It started to develop some play. It was
a CF paddle too, kind of surprised me that the inside kind of wore out
there. But the new one has a smaller blade, for higher cadence, and longer
so I can do low angle paddleing (it's easier, less powerful though).

> I'm a doctor and know a little latin. Your internet name really
> means, "Buns of Steel." What with all that riding you're doing.
> Jimminy Christmas.
>
> CDB
> King of the Barneys

------------
I use to get horrible pressure sores, that took time to heal. I switched to
a Brooks leather saddle, and it helped a lot. Sometimes I have to go to a
nursing home, where they have that stuff, forget what it's called, that they
use for bed sores, when they forget to turn their patients.

> Of course it's culture shock for you; you're used to the soft, smooth
> legged, feminine world of GRS. And
> judging by your whining, you're still GRS.
>
> This group is for men and [real] women who love MTB'ing.
>
> Here, this might be of interest to you:
> http://www.grsmontreal.com/anglais.html
> --
> Slack

-----------
Is this something you are familiar with?

> Now, how did you suppose the majority of people who are quite happy on
> 26" wheel bikes would react to that? Anybody who saw your post in RBT
> knew everything that I outlined above, and I wouldn't blame them for
> taking you for a troll. I wouldn't blame anyone who *didn't* see it for
> taking you for a shill for some company with an interest in 29ers.
>
> By Usenet standards, and considering the way you made your entry to
> AMB, I think you got flamed pretty gently.
>
> If you take the time to get some dirt on your tires and meet people out
> on the trail, I think that you'll find mountain bikers to be more
> sociable and less gear-obsessed than first appearances suggest. Just
> like roadies, really, which should be no surprise considering how much
> the two groups overlap. Don't take the treatment that you got here as
> an indictment of the whole sport, especially when you threw the first
> stone.

------------
You steered me, into something I didn't know. Yes I have a 26 mtb, that
I've owned for 10 years. It sucks, it always has. Not much better than my
road bike with a fat tire on it. But when I saw something different, from
your enlightenment so to speak, I investigated further and took the plunge.
I guess I made the mistake of thinking that this was already accepted truth,
from everyone. The front shocks have really advanced, and the variety is
amazing, from 10 years ago.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:19:02 -0700, Callistus Valerius
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Of course it's culture shock for you; you're used to the soft, smooth
>> legged, feminine world of GRS. And
>> judging by your whining, you're still GRS.
>>
>> This group is for men and [real] women who love MTB'ing.
>>
>> Here, this might be of interest to you:
>> http://www.grsmontreal.com/anglais.html
>> --
>> Slack

> -----------
> Is this something you are familiar with?

With the plethora of GRS in Los Angels and working down the street from
the Huffy whs, yes.
--
Slack

> So when do you give Pete that call about his heart?

who in the blazes is Pete, did I miss something? Why bother, he's most
likely already had the heart attack. Have you ever seen people die from a
heart attack? I've actually seen two, one was during a charity ride, and
the other was in a group ride. People tried to bring them back, but
couldn't. They were dead when they hit the pavement. Quite startling, but
it always stuck with me, you only get so many heart beats. One time I was
doing a long distance event, and I ended riding with this guy, and it was at
night. So we stopped at this store to get some liquids, and patch one of
his tubes in some decent light. Then I saw him scrabbling around under the
table, and I said what the hell are you doing. He said, I dropped my damn
nitro. He asked me not to tell the others, and I kept it a secret until now
(but you don't know his name, so I guess it's still a secret). He's ridden
at least 150,000 miles, maybe more............but guess what he has the
cyclist curse, a bad heart.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
>> I'm a doctor and know a little latin. Your internet name really
>> means, "Buns of Steel." What with all that riding you're doing.
>> Jimminy Christmas.
>>
>> CDB
>> King of the Barneys

> ------------
> I use to get horrible pressure sores, that took time to heal. I
> switched to a Brooks leather saddle, and it helped a lot. Sometimes
> I have to go to a nursing home, where they have that stuff, forget
> what it's called, that they use for bed sores, when they forget to
> turn their patients.

Whaddya do, steal it?

On Jun 14, 11:13 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Callistus Valerius wrote:
> >> I'm a doctor and know a little latin. Your internet name really
> >> means, "Buns of Steel." What with all that riding you're doing.
> >> Jimminy Christmas.

> >> CDB
> >> King of the Barneys

> > ------------
> > I use to get horrible pressure sores, that took time to heal. I
> > switched to a Brooks leather saddle, and it helped a lot. Sometimes
> > I have to go to a nursing home, where they have that stuff, forget
> > what it's called, that they use for bed sores, when they forget to
> > turn their patients.

> Whaddya do, steal it?

This guy is about as full of **** as Vo2lker and Barry Bargain
combined.

JD

On Jun 14, 8:59 pm, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > > I do a month of seakayaking, so obviously I don't ride then.

> > In the desert .... that you live in?

> ------------
> Sea of Cortez, take a look on the map and be educated. It's great out
> there, but can be treacherous. This time of the year the water is 80
> degrees, so about now you can lose the wet suit. In the winter though, it
> drops to 50 degrees.

Where on the SOC? I know a San Carlos the Average January surface
temps are ~60 degree F. I've heard that the stuff farther south
doesn't see as great a seasonal change.

Figured you more for an "Up stream of the Paria riffle boater."

BTW you still haven't told Pete of his impending doom ... have you?

On Jun 14, 10:01 pm, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > So when do you give Pete that call about his heart?

> who in the blazes is Pete, did I miss something?

Oh come on now ... you are the one from the "ultra" community.

There is only one "Pete" in The UMCA, and he's ~62.

> Have you ever seen people die from a heart attack?

Yes

<snip> cute story <snip>

BTW Pete is also a conributing editor for UltraCycling magazine.

<.

> Where on the SOC? I know a San Carlos the Average January surface
> temps are ~60 degree F. I've heard that the stuff farther south
> doesn't see as great a seasonal change.
>
> Figured you more for an "Up stream of the Paria riffle boater."

> BTW you still haven't told Pete of his impending doom ... have you?

Way north of there, the water temp varies quite a bit. Off of Guaymas
it gets 3000 feet deep, where I'm at it only gets 150 feet deep. So there
is a lot of water to heat up there in Guaymas. But at least it's not
California where the water is cold forever. When people come from
California, and visit the north part of the sea, they say stuff like, it
feels like being in a hot tub. Not quite that hot, but a lot warmer than a
heated swimming pool. The minus to a hot surface water temp, is it's hotter
than blazes on the beach.

> Oh come on now ... you are the one from the "ultra" community.
>
> There is only one "Pete" in The UMCA, and he's ~62.
>
> > Have you ever seen people die from a heart attack?

> Yes
>
> <snip> cute story <snip>

> BTW Pete is also a conributing editor for UltraCycling magazine.

---------
The only Pete I've heard of that's well known is Penseyres. Isn't he doing
team raam right now? I think it was either him or Rob Kish or both, gave a
speech one time that I heard at an event. But I don't remember much about
it.

I just checked the raam roster, both Penseyres brothers are on an 8 man
team. 64, and 60 years old, I see your point. Yes, they both should be
dead. The event isn't over yet, so we'll see........