Ambiguity in my knowledge...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Succorso, May 4, 2004.

  1. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    Are cyclists permitted to ride Bridleways? The HC doesn't say, although
    it does say that horse-riders shouldn't use Cycle tracks :)

    --
    Chris

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Succorso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are cyclists permitted to ride Bridleways? The HC doesn't
    > say, although it does say that horse-riders shouldn't use
    > Cycle tracks :)
    >
    > --
    > Chris

    They are indeed allowed to use bridleways, but ISTR that it
    might be different in Scotland.
    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  3. >Are cyclists permitted to ride Bridleways? The HC doesn't say, although
    >it does say that horse-riders shouldn't use Cycle tracks :)
    >
    >--
    >Chris

    My understanding is you can.

    According to Sustrans, bridleways can be used by walkers,
    horseriders, wheelchair users and cyclists.

    CTC at http://www.ctc.org.uk/bike/standards.aspx says, "The
    CTC view on this is that bells are irrelevant to road
    safety, but nonetheless useful to cyclists on bridleways and
    other shared-use paths. Nothing else clears slower riders
    and pedestrians out of the way so efficiently and politely!"

    But cyclists have to give way to other users is my
    understanding.

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Succorso wrote:
    > Are cyclists permitted to ride Bridleways? The HC doesn't
    > say, although it does say that horse-riders shouldn't use
    > Cycle tracks :)

    Under the Countryside Act 1968 bicycles (but not unicycles
    or tricycles) can use bridleways although they must give way
    to horses and pedestrians and usage by a bicycle use post
    1968 cannot be used to establish a right of way.

    Tony

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:

    >> Are cyclists permitted to ride Bridleways? The HC doesn't
    >> say, although it does say that horse-riders shouldn't use
    >> Cycle tracks :)

    Public bridleways, yes, permissive bridleways by - er -
    permission.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

  6. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > Simon Mason wrote:
    >
    > >> Are cyclists permitted to ride Bridleways? The HC
    > >> doesn't say, although it does say that horse-riders
    > >> shouldn't use Cycle tracks :)
    >
    > Public bridleways, yes, permissive bridleways by - er -
    > permission.

    Not quite true. AIUI the Countryside Act of 1968 which was
    introduced following some very strong lobbying by the CTC
    only, applies to bicycles. So cyclists on trikes are
    excluded :-(

    John B (in pedantic mood as opposed to the nastiness
    pervadng many of today's postings.)

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Succorso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Are cyclists permitted to ride Bridleways? The HC doesn't
    >> say, although it does say that horse-riders shouldn't use
    >> Cycle tracks :)
    >
    > They are indeed allowed to use bridleways, but ISTR that
    > it might be different in Scotland.

    Certainly is. In Scotland, with a very few restrictions (the
    most significant one being you can't go through the
    curtilage of someone's home) you can walk or cycle anywhere
    you like. Land Reform Act, 2003.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke)
    http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    -- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > Certainly is. In Scotland, with a very few restrictions
    > (the most significant one being you can't go through the
    > curtilage of someone's home) you can walk or cycle
    > anywhere you like. Land Reform Act, 2003.

    Apart from the M8, M9, M90, M74, M77 ... ;-)
    --
    Simon M.

  9. In news:[email protected],
    JohnB <[email protected]> typed:

    >> Public bridleways, yes, permissive bridleways by - er -
    >> permission.
    >
    > Not quite true. AIUI the Countryside Act of 1968 which was
    > introduced following some very strong lobbying by the CTC
    > only, applies to bicycles. So cyclists on trikes are
    > excluded :-(
    >
    > John B (in pedantic mood as opposed to the nastiness
    > pervadng many of today's postings.)

    Nothing like a good old bit of URC pedantry. (I think you'll
    find it's spelt pervading, though ;) )

  10. > Apart from the M8, M9, M90, M74, M77 ... ;-)

    And some of the "A" roads have special road orders attached
    to them - A720, parts of the A1 etc. - so you are not
    allowed on some of those too.

  11. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > > Apart from the M8, M9, M90, M74, M77 ... ;-)
    >
    > And some of the "A" roads have special road orders
    > attached to them - A720, parts of the A1 etc. - so you are
    > not allowed on some of those too.

    The A720, I was aware of. Which parts of the A1 (It
    sometimes forms part of my route into work!)?

    Jon

  12. Burt

    Burt Guest

    "Succorso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are cyclists permitted to ride Bridleways? The HC doesn't
    > say, although it does say that horse-riders shouldn't use
    > Cycle tracks :)
    >
    > --
    > Chris

    You can certainly use bridleways on a bike.

    What always amuses me is the track that goes through Cadbury
    Camp, south of Bristol, labelled "bridalway".

    Not sure if you're entitled to use it unless recently
    married!

  13. > The A720, I was aware of. Which parts of the A1 (It
    > sometimes forms part of my route into work!)?

    The bit of the A1 between the A720 junction and Dunbar
    (including the newly opened bit) is a special road and is
    therefore effectively subjected to motorway regulations (but
    not quite - things like speed limits for HGVs etc. I think
    will be the same as that for a bog-standard A-road dual
    carriageway). There are only one or two other "secret
    motorways" around - parts of the A55 in North Wales are also
    subjected to special road regulations.

    As far as I know - all other special roads are classified as
    motorways (all motorways must be special roads)

  14. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:13:52 +0100, "Ambrose Nankivell"
    <[email protected]>:

    >Nothing like a good old bit of URC pedantry

    The URC theme tune:

    <mancini> Pedant Pedant Pedant pedant pedant... </mancini>

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  15. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Certainly is. In Scotland, with a very few restrictions
    > (the most significant one being you can't go through the
    > curtilage of someone's home)

    I read that as "cartilage" and thought "ouch!"

    --
    Carol "Follow that chariot!" - Meg, Xena, Warrior Princess

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <outlook.bu[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:13:52 +0100, "Ambrose Nankivell"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >Nothing like a good old bit of URC pedantry
    >
    > The URC theme tune:
    >
    > <mancini> Pedant Pedant Pedant pedant pedant... </mancini>

    Ah, the Durham song. As in "Where does the Pink
    Panther live?"

    --
    Dave...

  17. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    burt <[email protected]> wrote:

    > What always amuses me is the track that goes through
    > Cadbury Camp, south of Bristol, labelled "bridalway".
    >
    > Not sure if you're entitled to use it unless recently
    > married!

    Conversely, there's a shop in Hull advertising "bridle
    wear".

    I *think* they sell wedding dresses, but I've never had the
    nerve to check....

    --
    Carol "Follow that chariot!" - Meg, Xena, Warrior Princess