Ambrosio Rim ERD: current rims

BeeCharmer

Guest
Sergio from Ambrosio responded quickly to my email with the a table of
all the ERDs for their current rims; I'll post it here for future
reference for folks.

TABELLA DIAMETRI EFFETTIVI / EFFECTIVE RIM DIAMETERS

CERCHI PER COPERTURE / CLINCHER RIMS 28" 26"
FCS 28 590.0
EXCELLIGHT S.S.C. 600.0
EXCELLENCE 601.5
NEXUS 608.4
EVOLUTION 600.5
BALANCE ( 28" - 26") 594.0 543.0
EXCURSION 600.5

CERCHI PER TUBOLARE / TUBULAR RIMS 28" 26"
NEMESIS 2000 610.5
EXCELLENCE 601.5
THESIS 594.0
CRONO F.20 ( 28" - 26") 610.0 559.0
TOUR DE FRANCE 605.0
MONTREAL (28" - 26") 610.5 560.0

CERCHI TURISMO / SPORT AND TREKKING RIMS 28" 26"
CAMEL 588.0
THE FROG 601.0
KEBA 298.0
C.C.28 602.5
AREA 4 601.0
EUROSPORT 606.0
B.8 607.0 577.0

CERCHI PER MOUNTAIN BIKE / MTB RIMS 26" MTB
QUORUM 2003 536.0
BARRACU DISK 200 536.0
THE FROG 540.0
D.H.28 541.5
NOJO 536.5
KEBA 536.5
AREA 4 540.0
NEVADA 542.5

BeeCharmer wrote:
> Sergio from Ambrosio responded quickly to my email with the a table of
> all the ERDs for their current rims; I'll post it here for future
> reference for folks.

We went through this awhile back and I posted info from Sergio.

There is at least one rim's ERD on the list you posted that does not
agree with the Spocalc ERD data ("rims" tab, see Sheldon Brown, whose
grand info/interest site holds Damon Rinard's work for view).

Also, Peter Chisholm posted some data I believe from his own
measurements.

IOW, be sure before you buy the spokes <g>. --D-y

Thanks. This was the only site I didn't do a "Ambrosio ERD" search.
Interesting, the numbers I found for the Focus were 593 and Sergio's
was 590. I think I'll take the rim to the shop and have it measured
with the rod to make sure.

chris

In article
<[email protected]>,
"BeeCharmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks. This was the only site I didn't do a "Ambrosio ERD" search.
> Interesting, the numbers I found for the Focus were 593 and Sergio's
> was 590. I think I'll take the rim to the shop and have it measured
> with the rod to make sure.

Hopefully somebody will post a procedure for measuring
ERD. Apparently it can be done, and done well. Then you
will have more evidence. Evidence inconsistent with the
published figure perhaps, but what the hey. :)

--
Michael Press

very handy......

now if someone could find a dealer to import rims like the Nexus
(silver, box section, sockets, pinned, non-machined brake track,
non-hard ano., about 400g)...that would be nice too.....

BeeCharmer wrote:
> Sergio from Ambrosio responded quickly to my email with the a table of
> all the ERDs for their current rims; I'll post it here for future
> reference for folks.
>
> TABELLA DIAMETRI EFFETTIVI / EFFECTIVE RIM DIAMETERS
>
> CERCHI PER COPERTURE / CLINCHER RIMS 28" 26"
> FCS 28 590.0
> EXCELLIGHT S.S.C. 600.0
> EXCELLENCE 601.5
> NEXUS 608.4
> EVOLUTION 600.5
> BALANCE ( 28" - 26") 594.0 543.0
> EXCURSION 600.5
>
> CERCHI PER TUBOLARE / TUBULAR RIMS 28" 26"
> NEMESIS 2000 610.5
> EXCELLENCE 601.5
> THESIS 594.0
> CRONO F.20 ( 28" - 26") 610.0 559.0
> TOUR DE FRANCE 605.0
> MONTREAL (28" - 26") 610.5 560.0
>
> CERCHI TURISMO / SPORT AND TREKKING RIMS 28" 26"
> CAMEL 588.0
> THE FROG 601.0
> KEBA 298.0
> C.C.28 602.5
> AREA 4 601.0
> EUROSPORT 606.0
> B.8 607.0 577.0
>
> CERCHI PER MOUNTAIN BIKE / MTB RIMS 26" MTB
> QUORUM 2003 536.0
> BARRACU DISK 200 536.0
> THE FROG 540.0
> D.H.28 541.5
> NOJO 536.5
> KEBA 536.5
> AREA 4 540.0
> NEVADA 542.5

Is there some way to measure ERD accurately enough without having to
use special measuring rods?

sal bass wrote:
> very handy......
>
> now if someone could find a dealer to import rims like the Nexus
> (silver, box section, sockets, pinned, non-machined brake track,
> non-hard ano., about 400g)...that would be nice too.....

DT, except for a few items. Nice rim and alternative to OpenPro.

> BeeCharmer wrote:
> > Sergio from Ambrosio responded quickly to my email with the a table of
> > all the ERDs for their current rims; I'll post it here for future
> > reference for folks.
> >
> > TABELLA DIAMETRI EFFETTIVI / EFFECTIVE RIM DIAMETERS
> >
> > CERCHI PER COPERTURE / CLINCHER RIMS 28" 26"
> > FCS 28 590.0
> > EXCELLIGHT S.S.C. 600.0
> > EXCELLENCE 601.5
> > NEXUS 608.4
> > EVOLUTION 600.5
> > BALANCE ( 28" - 26") 594.0 543.0
> > EXCURSION 600.5
> >
> > CERCHI PER TUBOLARE / TUBULAR RIMS 28" 26"
> > NEMESIS 2000 610.5
> > EXCELLENCE 601.5
> > THESIS 594.0
> > CRONO F.20 ( 28" - 26") 610.0 559.0
> > TOUR DE FRANCE 605.0
> > MONTREAL (28" - 26") 610.5 560.0
> >
> > CERCHI TURISMO / SPORT AND TREKKING RIMS 28" 26"
> > CAMEL 588.0
> > THE FROG 601.0
> > KEBA 298.0
> > C.C.28 602.5
> > AREA 4 601.0
> > EUROSPORT 606.0
> > B.8 607.0 577.0
> >
> > CERCHI PER MOUNTAIN BIKE / MTB RIMS 26" MTB
> > QUORUM 2003 536.0
> > BARRACU DISK 200 536.0
> > THE FROG 540.0
> > D.H.28 541.5
> > NOJO 536.5
> > KEBA 536.5
> > AREA 4 540.0
> > NEVADA 542.5

slip two spokes of any length, into opposing eyelets. thread a nipple
to each as far as you prefer them to end up, at the end of the wheel
build. use a rubber band or some method to anchor each elbow and pull
both spokes taut. use a long metric ruler or tape measure and measure
from one end of the nipple all the way across to the other along the
length of both spokes.

add 24mm to the total distance if you're using 12 mm nipples. add 32mm
if you're using 16mm nipples.

if there is any doubt as to the rim's condition.....do this at several
eyelets...if the rim was banged or dropped or flat spotted then the ERD
might be slightly off in several places.

cheap, easy, quick, and accurate so long as the rim is in proper
condition.

Paul Kopit wrote:
> Is there some way to measure ERD accurately enough without having to
> use special measuring rods?
>
> On 20 Nov 2006 09:41:13 -0800, "BeeCharmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Thanks. This was the only site I didn't do a "Ambrosio ERD" search.
> >Interesting, the numbers I found for the Focus were 593 and Sergio's
> >was 590. I think I'll take the rim to the shop and have it measured
> >with the rod to make sure.
> >
> >chris

oh yeah....no doubt that DT makes a great product.

but the look of the 1.1 is a bit too modern in some cases.

sadly....the Ambrosio Nexus would be the perfect rim.....it's just not
available here in the states.....

Paul Kopit writes:

>> Thanks. This was the only site I didn't do a "Ambrosio ERD"
>> search. Interesting, the numbers I found for the Focus were 593
>> and Sergio's was 590. I think I'll take the rim to the shop and
>> have it measured with the rod to make sure.

> Is there some way to measure ERD accurately enough without having to
> use special measuring rods?

Measure outside rim diameter, insert a spoke nipple and measure down
to it from the OD. Subtract twice that measurement from the OD. That
is the diameter to which spokes should extend, plus or minus two mm's.

ERD := Effective Rim Diameter

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:

> Paul Kopit writes:
> > Is there some way to measure ERD accurately enough without having to
> > use special measuring rods?

> Measure outside rim diameter, insert a spoke nipple and measure down
> to it from the OD. Subtract twice that measurement from the OD. That
> is the diameter to which spokes should extend, plus or minus two mm's.
>
> ERD := Effective Rim Diameter
>
> Jobst Brandt

The method above works perfectly, but I'm not sure how one would
accurately measure the depth of the nipple beneath the outside edge of
the rim, without a precision depth guage. (I have one, but none of my
cycling friends do, and I suspect most people don't have one.)

There may be a method to do this with tools that everyone has, but I
don't know it, so here is an equivalent method: Measure inside rim
diameter. Insert a nipple into a hole, oriented radially. (It helps to
have the nipple threaded on a spoke.) Measure the protrusion of the
nipple and subtract it from the nipple length. Multiply the result by
two and add to the inside rim diameter for the ERD.

Stephen Greenwood

Stephen Greenwood writes:

>>> Is there some way to measure ERD accurately enough without having
>>> to use special measuring rods?

>> Measure outside rim diameter, insert a spoke nipple and measure
>> down to it from the OD. Subtract twice that measurement from the
>> OD. That is the diameter to which spokes should extend, plus or
>> minus two mm's.

>> ERD := Effective Rim Diameter

> The method above works perfectly, but I'm not sure how one would
> accurately measure the depth of the nipple beneath the outside edge
> of the rim, without a precision depth guage. (I have one, but none
> of my cycling friends do, and I suspect most people don't have one.)

> There may be a method to do this with tools that everyone has, but I
> don't know it, so here is an equivalent method: Measure inside rim
> diameter. Insert a nipple into a hole, oriented radially. (It helps
> to have the nipple threaded on a spoke.) Measure the protrusion of
> the nipple and subtract it from the nipple length. Multiply the
> result by two and add to the inside rim diameter for the ERD.

Make one! Stick a probe through a piece of cardboard, lay it on the
rim and push the probe until it makes contact with the spoke nipple
and measure it with a mm ruler. If you don't have such a ruler, the
hardware store does.

I'm amazed how no matter what gets written on this newsgroup, counter
arguments with "what ifs" are offered, often starting a new thread.
You seem to be guessing about the inability of others, since you have
a measurement device that could make this measurement. Do they build
wheels and do they buy rims for that without the ERD and why do you
care?

Go ride bike! gauge

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:

> >> Measure outside rim diameter, insert a spoke nipple and measure
> >> down to it from the OD. Subtract twice that measurement from the
> >> OD. That is the diameter to which spokes should extend, plus or
> >> minus two mm's.

> >> ERD := Effective Rim Diameter

> > The method above works perfectly, but I'm not sure how one would
> > accurately measure the depth of the nipple beneath the outside edge
> > of the rim, without a precision depth guage. (I have one, but none
> > of my cycling friends do, and I suspect most people don't have one.)

> > There may be a method to do this with tools that everyone has, but I
> > don't know it, so here is an equivalent method: Measure inside rim
> > diameter. Insert a nipple into a hole, oriented radially. (It helps
> > to have the nipple threaded on a spoke.) Measure the protrusion of
> > the nipple and subtract it from the nipple length. Multiply the
> > result by two and add to the inside rim diameter for the ERD.

> Make one! Stick a probe through a piece of cardboard, lay it on the
> rim and push the probe until it makes contact with the spoke nipple
> and measure it with a mm ruler. If you don't have such a ruler, the
> hardware store does.

Yes, that works. And as you point out that the tolerable error is on
the order of mm, it doesn't really need to be a *precision* depth
guage, as I had written. However, it should be clear that the method I
described is equivalent to your depth gauge, except that the
"cardboard" is the rim, and the "probe" is the nipple. It requires only
a ruler and no explicit depth gauge, cardboard or otherwise.

> I'm amazed how no matter what gets written on this newsgroup, counter
> arguments with "what ifs" are offered, often starting a new thread.

I wasn't writing to be argumentative. Earlier in the thread someone
asked how to measure ERD. I was merely writing the way I do it for the
benefit of others, just like you were. There is no reason to rail
against it.

> You seem to be guessing about the inability of others, since you have
> a measurement device that could make this measurement. Do they build
> wheels and do they buy rims for that without the ERD and why do you
> care?

Why do I care? It is not bad if one can help one's fellows in some way.
Or perhaps I miss your meaning.

> Go ride bike! gauge

Yes, thank you, and quite happily I do.

Peace,
Stephen Greenwood

> Paul Kopit writes:
>
> >> Thanks. This was the only site I didn't do a "Ambrosio ERD"
> >> search. Interesting, the numbers I found for the Focus were 593
> >> and Sergio's was 590. I think I'll take the rim to the shop and
> >> have it measured with the rod to make sure.

> > Is there some way to measure ERD accurately enough without having to
> > use special measuring rods?

> Measure outside rim diameter, insert a spoke nipple and measure down
> to it from the OD. Subtract twice that measurement from the OD. That
> is the diameter to which spokes should extend, plus or minus two mm's.
>
> ERD := Effective Rim Diameter

Is the effective rim diameter the distance from the
outermost surface of one nipple to the outermost
surface of the antipodal nipple? By outermost surface I
mean the surface of the nipple that has the drive slot.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press writes:

>>> Is there some way to measure ERD accurately enough without having
>>> to use special measuring rods?

>> Measure outside rim diameter, insert a spoke nipple and measure
>> down to it from the OD. Subtract twice that measurement from the
>> OD. That is the diameter to which spokes should extend, plus or
>> minus two mm's.

>> ERD := Effective Rim Diameter

> Is the effective rim diameter the distance from the outermost
> surface of one nipple to the outermost surface of the antipodal
> nipple? By outermost surface I mean the surface of the nipple that
> has the drive slot.

Yes, and that is why ERD, because it is not the physical rim diameter
but rather the effective one for spoke length calculation.

Jobst Brandt