american classic 350 wheels?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doom, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. Doom

    Doom Guest

    I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
    the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams? What's the customs \ hst shafting like for
    Canadian customers? Thanks; please reply to email.

    --
    --------------------------
    Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com

    Tags:

  2. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    I'm looking at a set of the hubs laced to some CXP 33's or Arrowheads. Haven't heard anything bad
    about them.

    Doom wrote:

    > I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
    > the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams? What's the customs \ hst shafting like for
    > Canadian customers? Thanks; please reply to email.
    >
    > --
    > --------------------------
    > Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 <fimmtiu> Sucks really Forth. Ugh.

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Doom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
    > the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams? What's the customs \ hst shafting like for
    > Canadian customers? Thanks; please reply to email.

    I've owned many Am Classic hubs over the years. Love all of them. Are the wheelsets less expensive
    than buying the parts separately and building them yourself?

    Mike
    > --
    > --------------------------
    > Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com

  4. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    "Doom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
    > the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams? What's the customs \ hst shafting like for
    > Canadian customers? Thanks; please reply to email.
    >
    > --

    I recently ordered the 450's and returned them same day. While I loved the hubs, for some reason the
    tires kept blowing off the rims. Neither I nor the LBS could get them to stay seated, and my LBS is
    a master wheel builder.

    Returned and replaced with Ksyriums, which I know are too heavy for your needs.

    You may want to see if others have had the problem with the tire staying seated on the 350's.

    Fwiw, the hubs were beautiful and my wheelset was light. I just need something more bullet proof and
    less troublesome, but perhaps I got a bad set???

    scott

    [email protected]

  5. scott-<< I recently ordered the 450's and returned them same day. While I loved the hubs, for some
    reason the tires kept blowing off the rims. Neither I nor the LBS could get them to stay seated, and
    my LBS is a master wheel builder.

    Returned and replaced with Ksyriums, which I know are too heavy for your needs.

    Why not have that 'master wheelbuilder' build you some wheels? That would be- -as light -use
    standard parts -be as reliable(or more) and -cost way less than ksyriums???

    << I just need something more bullet proof and less troublesome, but perhaps I got a bad set???

    See above-Record/DA hubs, Velocity Aeroheads, designed for you and your needs, about $300 less than
    ksyriums...

  6. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >I'm looking at a set of the hubs laced to some CXP 33's or Arrowheads. Haven't heard anything bad
    >about them.

    I'm trying to picture a wheel built up with arrowheads, but I can't see them being very comfy or
    veryfast. :)
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  7. Todd Kuzma

    Todd Kuzma Guest

    Doom wrote:

    > I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
    > the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams?

    I have a set. They are very light for clinchers. My pair is built 28H front and 32H rear. This is a
    bit light for my 190 pound weight. The front has been fine, but the rear has required frequent
    truing. Actually, for my weight, AC recommends their 420 wheels which I haven't tried. The 350s
    haven't had any problem with tires blowing off. I typically ride wheels that I built myself, but I
    got a pair of these for a Heron show bike we were putting together.

    Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, IL 815-223-1776
    http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

  8. Johns

    Johns Guest

    Peter--Any experience with the AC350 rims themselves? If they're at all durable nothing is lighter.

    Why not build up a set with those rather than the Aeroheads? They'd be far cheaper than Ksyriums and
    lighter still.

  9. Chas.

    Chas. Guest

    Doom,

    I recently bought a pair of amclassic 350's (28H) and had them built
    w/ campy record hubs.

    Weight: ~1400grams Cost: ~US$450 out the door Tire issues: None. I'm using veloflex pave's

    So far I only have about 600 miles on them, but I'm quite happy. Previously I had been riding
    campy nucleons.

    btw, last I checked amclassic doesn't have any 350 rims in stuck; I got the pair from
    oddsandendos.com

    If anything untowards develops, I'll let you know.

    REgards, Chas.

    "Doom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
    > the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams? What's the customs \ hst shafting like for
    > Canadian customers? Thanks; please reply to email.

  10. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Aeroheads would be better huh? :)

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 For true believers, LORD would be K\textsc{nuth} in TeX, and L\textsc{amport} in LaTeX.

  11. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Mark Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Aeroheads would be better huh? :)

    I liked them on the wheelset I had built with them. I have a pair of 'cross racing wheels built with
    the Escape (tubular version of the aerohead), but haven't had a chance to really ride them.

    Mike

    > Alex Rodriguez wrote:
    >
    > > In article <8ARda.841$m73.31329527[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > >
    > >>I'm looking at a set of the hubs laced to some CXP 33's or Arrowheads. Haven't heard anything
    > >>bad about them.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to picture a wheel built up with arrowheads, but I can't see them being very comfy or
    > > veryfast. :)
    > > -----------------
    > > Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)
    >
    > --
    > Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    > 8C71 For true believers, LORD would be K\textsc{nuth} in TeX, and L\textsc{amport} in LaTeX.
    > Atheists prefer \phantom{LORD}. Agnostics may need to use the ifthen package.
    > - Chris Boyd, comp.text.tex

  12. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    > scott-<< I recently ordered the 450's and returned them same day. While I loved the hubs, for some
    > reason the tires kept blowing off the rims. Neither I nor the LBS could get them to stay seated,
    > and my LBS is a master wheel
    builder.

    > Returned and replaced with Ksyriums, which I know are too heavy for your needs.
    >
    > Why not have that 'master wheelbuilder' build you some wheels? That would be- -as light -use
    > standard parts -be as reliable(or more) and -cost way less than ksyriums???
    >

    > << I just need something more bullet proof and less troublesome, but perhaps I got a bad set???
    >
    > See above-Record/DA hubs, Velocity Aeroheads, designed for you and your
    needs,
    > about $300 less than ksyriums...

    Peter:

    I supppose I should tell you that I do the web site for the shop and therefore am entitled to a nice
    discount. The wheels were quite reasonable for me. Several in my local group ride them with relative
    success, I decided to go with them.

    The South Florida roads are harsh, and weighing just under 180 at 5'11'', I wanted something
    slightly lighter than my Open Pro's & relatively trouble free

    My other set are Mavic Open Pro's, built for me,

  13. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    "JohnS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Peter--Any experience with the AC350 rims themselves? If they're at all durable nothing is
    > lighter.
    >
    > Why not build up a set with those rather than the Aeroheads? They'd be far cheaper than Ksyriums
    > and lighter still.

    My other issue was size. I am a touch over 5'11'' and 177. I do not want to be at the end of a
    wheel's recommended weight, that was also part of my decision.

    I have seen many an Aero wheel need frequent attention on the harsh roads here in S. Florida, while
    all who ride the Ksyriums seem to be bullet proof.

    scott

  14. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Lest I forget, I was very impressed with the AC hubs, and if I were to have a wheel set built, I
    would consider using their hubs again.

    I was disappointed in wheel quality, but very impressed with the hubs.

    scott

  15. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > scott-<< I recently ordered the 450's and returned them same day. While
    > > loved the hubs, for some reason the tires kept blowing off the rims. Neither I
    nor
    > > the LBS could get them to stay seated, and my LBS is a master wheel
    > builder.
    > >
    > > Returned and replaced with Ksyriums, which I know are too heavy for your needs.
    > >
    > > Why not have that 'master wheelbuilder' build you some wheels? That would be- -as light -use
    > > standard parts -be as reliable(or more) and -cost way less than ksyriums???
    > >

    > > << I just need something more bullet proof and less troublesome, but perhaps I got a
    bad
    > > set???
    > >
    > > See above-Record/DA hubs, Velocity Aeroheads, designed for you and your
    > needs,
    > > about $300 less than ksyriums...
    > >

    > Peter:
    >
    > I supppose I should tell you that I do the web site for the shop and therefore am entitled to a
    > nice discount. The wheels were quite reasonable for me. Several in my local group ride
    them
    > with relative success, I decided to go with them.
    >
    > The South Florida roads are harsh, and weighing just under 180 at 5'11'',
    > wanted something slightly lighter than my Open Pro's & relatively trouble free
    >
    > My other set are Mavic Open Pro's, built for me,

    All I gotta say about the Ksyriums is watch the spokes. I have several friends that own them, all
    have complained about spoke breakage.

    Mike

  16. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    I'm planning on building my own. I have an old Steel Paramount OS that I want to lighten up, but
    keep the lugwork. :)

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 I don't understand how people can think SCSI is anything more quirky than a genius with

  17. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    "Mark Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm planning on building my own. I have an old Steel Paramount OS that I want to lighten up, but
    > keep the lugwork. :)

    Gotta Love the Lugs. I have a 2000 Torelli Countach, which is a lugged steel frame.

    scott