american classic 350 wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doom

I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams? What's the customs \ hst shafting like for
Canadian customers? Thanks; please reply to email.

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com

I'm looking at a set of the hubs laced to some CXP 33's or Arrowheads. Haven't heard anything bad
about them.

Doom wrote:

> I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
> the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams? What's the customs \ hst shafting like for
> Canadian customers? Thanks; please reply to email.
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 <fimmtiu> Sucks really Forth. Ugh.

"Doom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm considering getting these, to avoid the horror stories of carbon failures. Any opinions? Does
> the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams? What's the customs \ hst shafting like for
>

I've owned many Am Classic hubs over the years. Love all of them. Are the wheelsets less expensive
than buying the parts separately and building them yourself?

Mike
> --
> --------------------------
> Andre Charlebois BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+ webmaster for Triathlon New Brunswick www.TriNB.com

"Doom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> --

I recently ordered the 450's and returned them same day. While I loved the hubs, for some reason the
tires kept blowing off the rims. Neither I nor the LBS could get them to stay seated, and my LBS is
a master wheel builder.

Returned and replaced with Ksyriums, which I know are too heavy for your needs.

You may want to see if others have had the problem with the tire staying seated on the 350's.

Fwiw, the hubs were beautiful and my wheelset was light. I just need something more bullet proof and
less troublesome, but perhaps I got a bad set???

scott

[email protected]

scott-<< I recently ordered the 450's and returned them same day. While I loved the hubs, for some
reason the tires kept blowing off the rims. Neither I nor the LBS could get them to stay seated, and
my LBS is a master wheel builder.

Returned and replaced with Ksyriums, which I know are too heavy for your needs.

Why not have that 'master wheelbuilder' build you some wheels? That would be- -as light -use
standard parts -be as reliable(or more) and -cost way less than ksyriums???

<< I just need something more bullet proof and less troublesome, but perhaps I got a bad set???

See above-Record/DA hubs, Velocity Aeroheads, designed for you and your needs, about $300 less than
ksyriums...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>I'm looking at a set of the hubs laced to some CXP 33's or Arrowheads. Haven't heard anything bad
>about them.

I'm trying to picture a wheel built up with arrowheads, but I can't see them being very comfy or
veryfast. :)
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Doom wrote:

> the set (min spoke count) really come in at 1265 grams?

I have a set. They are very light for clinchers. My pair is built 28H front and 32H rear. This is a
bit light for my 190 pound weight. The front has been fine, but the rear has required frequent
truing. Actually, for my weight, AC recommends their 420 wheels which I haven't tried. The 350s
haven't had any problem with tires blowing off. I typically ride wheels that I built myself, but I
got a pair of these for a Heron show bike we were putting together.

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, IL 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

Peter--Any experience with the AC350 rims themselves? If they're at all durable nothing is lighter.

Why not build up a set with those rather than the Aeroheads? They'd be far cheaper than Ksyriums and
lighter still.

Doom,

I recently bought a pair of amclassic 350's (28H) and had them built
w/ campy record hubs.

Weight: ~1400grams Cost: ~US$450 out the door Tire issues: None. I'm using veloflex pave's

So far I only have about 600 miles on them, but I'm quite happy. Previously I had been riding
campy nucleons.

btw, last I checked amclassic doesn't have any 350 rims in stuck; I got the pair from
oddsandendos.com

If anything untowards develops, I'll let you know.

REgards, Chas.

"Doom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Aeroheads would be better huh? :)

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>>I'm looking at a set of the hubs laced to some CXP 33's or Arrowheads. Haven't heard anything bad
>>about them.
>
> I'm trying to picture a wheel built up with arrowheads, but I can't see them being very comfy or
> veryfast. :)
> -----------------
> Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 For true believers, LORD would be K\textsc{nuth} in TeX, and L\textsc{amport} in LaTeX.
Atheists prefer \phantom{LORD}. Agnostics may need to use the ifthen package.
- Chris Boyd, comp.text.tex

"Mark Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Aeroheads would be better huh? :)

I liked them on the wheelset I had built with them. I have a pair of 'cross racing wheels built with
the Escape (tubular version of the aerohead), but haven't had a chance to really ride them.

Mike
>
> Alex Rodriguez wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >
> >>I'm looking at a set of the hubs laced to some CXP 33's or Arrowheads. Haven't heard anything
> >>bad about them.
> >
> > I'm trying to picture a wheel built up with arrowheads, but I can't see them being very comfy or
> > veryfast. :)
> > -----------------
> > Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)
>
> --
> Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
> 8C71 For true believers, LORD would be K\textsc{nuth} in TeX, and L\textsc{amport} in LaTeX.
> Atheists prefer \phantom{LORD}. Agnostics may need to use the ifthen package.
> - Chris Boyd, comp.text.tex

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> scott-<< I recently ordered the 450's and returned them same day. While I loved the hubs, for some
> reason the tires kept blowing off the rims. Neither I nor the LBS could get them to stay seated,
> and my LBS is a master wheel
builder.
>
> Returned and replaced with Ksyriums, which I know are too heavy for your needs.
>
> Why not have that 'master wheelbuilder' build you some wheels? That would be- -as light -use
> standard parts -be as reliable(or more) and -cost way less than ksyriums???
>
>
> << I just need something more bullet proof and less troublesome, but perhaps I got a bad set???
>
> See above-Record/DA hubs, Velocity Aeroheads, designed for you and your
needs,
> about $300 less than ksyriums...
>

Peter:

I supppose I should tell you that I do the web site for the shop and therefore am entitled to a nice
discount. The wheels were quite reasonable for me. Several in my local group ride them with relative
success, I decided to go with them.

The South Florida roads are harsh, and weighing just under 180 at 5'11'', I wanted something
slightly lighter than my Open Pro's & relatively trouble free

My other set are Mavic Open Pro's, built for me,

"JohnS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Peter--Any experience with the AC350 rims themselves? If they're at all durable nothing is
> lighter.
>
> Why not build up a set with those rather than the Aeroheads? They'd be far cheaper than Ksyriums
> and lighter still.

My other issue was size. I am a touch over 5'11'' and 177. I do not want to be at the end of a
wheel's recommended weight, that was also part of my decision.

I have seen many an Aero wheel need frequent attention on the harsh roads here in S. Florida, while
all who ride the Ksyriums seem to be bullet proof.

scott

Lest I forget, I was very impressed with the AC hubs, and if I were to have a wheel set built, I
would consider using their hubs again.

I was disappointed in wheel quality, but very impressed with the hubs.

scott

"scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > scott-<< I recently ordered the 450's and returned them same day. While
I
> > loved the hubs, for some reason the tires kept blowing off the rims. Neither I
nor
> > the LBS could get them to stay seated, and my LBS is a master wheel
> builder.
> >
> > Returned and replaced with Ksyriums, which I know are too heavy for your needs.
> >
> > Why not have that 'master wheelbuilder' build you some wheels? That would be- -as light -use
> > standard parts -be as reliable(or more) and -cost way less than ksyriums???
> >
> >
> > << I just need something more bullet proof and less troublesome, but perhaps I got a
bad
> > set???
> >
> > See above-Record/DA hubs, Velocity Aeroheads, designed for you and your
> needs,
> > about $300 less than ksyriums...
> >
>
> Peter:
>
> I supppose I should tell you that I do the web site for the shop and therefore am entitled to a
> nice discount. The wheels were quite reasonable for me. Several in my local group ride
them
> with relative success, I decided to go with them.
>
> The South Florida roads are harsh, and weighing just under 180 at 5'11'',
I
> wanted something slightly lighter than my Open Pro's & relatively trouble free
>
> My other set are Mavic Open Pro's, built for me,
>
>
All I gotta say about the Ksyriums is watch the spokes. I have several friends that own them, all
have complained about spoke breakage.

Mike

I'm planning on building my own. I have an old Steel Paramount OS that I want to lighten up, but
keep the lugwork. :)

scottw44 wrote:

> Lest I forget, I was very impressed with the AC hubs, and if I were to have a wheel set built, I
> would consider using their hubs again.
>
> I was disappointed in wheel quality, but very impressed with the hubs.
>
> scott

--
8C71 I don't understand how people can think SCSI is anything more quirky than a genius with
peculiar dietary requirements in a world where the creators of Notes, and their new owners, are
allowed to walk the streets without fearing for their very lives. - Graham Reed, asr

"Mark Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I'm planning on building my own. I have an old Steel Paramount OS that I want to lighten up, but
> keep the lugwork. :)
>
Gotta Love the Lugs. I have a 2000 Torelli Countach, which is a lugged steel frame.

scott

Status
Not open for further replies.