American Classic 420 Vs. Easton Vista Sl

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 50mph, Jul 18, 2005.

1. 50mph

50mph New Member

Felt is offering me a choice on my new F55 between the American Classic 420s and the Easton/Velomax Vista Sl. I am not a big guy but do ride fast on roads that are not always so smooth. Which wheel do you think is better for me?

Tags:

2. Rudy

Rudy New Member

How much do you weight? AM 420 has a limit of around 200 or 180 I believe.

3. 50mph

50mph New Member

I weigh 150 pounds.

4. jrstevens

jrstevens New Member

You definitely want the AC 420's. They're stiff and light and retail at over $600. Bill Shook at AC stands behind his products 110%. The rider weight limit is for the 350 model which is a lighter rim.

See www.amclassic.com

JS

5. buckybux

buckybux New Member

I purchased a 2004 Litespeed Firenze in April and it came with Mavic Cosmos. I then upgraded to American Classic CR-420 Wheels with bladed spokes. I love the wheels, they are light and really good for climbing. They are stable (at least to speeds of 45 mph). I have had to tighten the spokes several times during the first month, but once they were broken in they have been fine. I have ridden on them about 2000 miles.
    --Jeff

6. gerardbjr

gerardbjr New Member

I just bought a Felt F55 with Vista SL's. I would have chosen the 420's if I had a choice, but the bikes they had in stock had the Vistas and it didn't really matter enough to me to request they order another bike with 420's. I have absolutely no complaints with the Vistas, they are quality wheels, but given a choice (for no good reason other than the weight difference) I would have picked the 420's. Both are good wheel sets, so you should not sweat over your decision too much. You will probably be happy either way and never notice the difference.

7. zaskar

zaskar New Member

AM classic 420 are junk! yea light but junk. the hubs suck the spokes are thin and wimpy.junk! junk! junk!junk!.

8. jitteringjr

jitteringjr New Member

Yep. I agree.

9. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

A mate of mine would agree. He doesn't weigh more than about 160lbs and was breaking spokes on a regular basis. When it starting costing him race-finishes then he junked them.

10. dhk

dhk New Member

Yeah, it's amazing how much appeal lightweight has when we're speccing out our new bikes, but how little it means compared to durability in the end.

I've been riding the Velomax Circuits now for 7000 miles, including lots of rough railroad crossings and a couple of big potholes. They have held true with no tuning required, which is impressive to me. Would say the sealing of the cartridge bearing hubs would be the weak point, since they just have end caps over the bearings, not a real lip seal on the axle to keep out water and grit like Shimano/Campy hubs do.

11. zaskar

zaskar New Member

I got rid of the AC for velomax circuit for training wheels, i love them. 5,500 miles still true and smooth.

12. Rudy

Rudy New Member

I must put in my 0.02.

I have a pair of AM 420...there's probably 1300 miles on them. During the first few hundred miles, I had to get them true a couple of times. Since then, spokes tightened, I haven't had any problems with them.

These are original AM everything..spokes and all. I weigh about 155 lbs and ride on smooth pavement as well as rough concretes. I really like them. They're stiff enough for me. Too stiff and you would have a rough ride.