American Classic (again)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by allan42, Apr 1, 2007.

1. allan42

allan42 New Member

G'day

Recently replaced sealed bearings in a pair of 420 American Classic road wheels and generally overhauled same after about 2 1/2 years use.On removing the Ultegra cluster I found the freewheel body damaged from acceleration/snatch and the cluster fitted the freewheel body nowhere.The whole unit is appallingly loose.Wheels have always made noises.Contacted American Classic and they assure me all is OK. They even make a set of spacers to help in stopping this movment!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has anybody had a similar experience or would like to comment.This is very poor engineering for a set of fairly expensive wheels.Very dissapointed. Allan 42

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Shimano cassettes on aluminum hubs are a particular problem, owing to the relative softness of aluminum and the relatively short spline depth of Shimano cassettes. The clips they are sending you do apparently work to stop the gouging of the freehub.

With Campy, the gouging of aluminum or titanium freehubs, the gouging doesn't get very far. In any case, any cassette on an aluminum or titanium freehub will gouge the freehub to some degree.

3. parawolf

parawolf New Member

This has happened to mine has well. Not all that happy about it.. Wondering if I can fit some kind of after market freewheel body.

4. allan42

allan42 New Member

Thanks for your comments Mr.Alienator, but my main bitch was the acceptance of such poor engineering design ie.nil compatability in fit between the cassette body and the cassette.My Mavic hub is a snug and compatable fit between the body and cluster, including all splines matching despite being of various dimensions. Wth the A/C any spline will go anywhere. Not good enough.

5. allan42

allan42 New Member

Good luck Parawolf. I'm not happy Either.

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

It is AC you're talking about. Without their yearly recall for poor engineering or poor manufacturing would it still be AC? AC is one of those companies, like Spinergy, I wonder how they stay in business.