American Classic Campy hub - Chain rub on dropout

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jun 15, 2005.

  1. So I built a new set of training wheels tonight with 2005 American
    Classic Road Hubs, Open Pro rims, and Sapin CX Ray spokes. This is a
    nice strong and light set of hoops. However, I mounted my Record 12-25
    cassette on it and put it in my Trek 5200 and the damn chain rubs
    against the dropout in the 12 cog. I don't have this problem with and
    of the other 5 wheelset that I own. The chain has zero clearance with
    this hub and all the other hubs give the chain about 1.5mm of
    clearance. Has anyone had this issue before?

    Thanks,

    Ron

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    I have the same problem on my American Classic 420s running an American
    Classic shimano to campy 10s conversion cassette. As a quick fix, I just
    stuck a washer on the outside of the axle against the dropout and it
    works just fine.

    Rick

  3. Rick Holstein wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > I have the same problem on my American Classic 420s running an American
    > Classic shimano to campy 10s conversion cassette. As a quick fix, I just
    > stuck a washer on the outside of the axle against the dropout and it
    > works just fine.
    >
    > Rick
    >

    > > So I built a new set of training wheels tonight with 2005 American
    > > Classic Road Hubs, Open Pro rims, and Sapin CX Ray spokes. This is a
    > > nice strong and light set of hoops. However, I mounted my Record 12-25
    > > cassette on it and put it in my Trek 5200 and the damn chain rubs
    > > against the dropout in the 12 cog. I don't have this problem with and
    > > of the other 5 wheelset that I own. The chain has zero clearance with
    > > this hub and all the other hubs give the chain about 1.5mm of
    > > clearance. Has anyone had this issue before?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Ron

    How much are these hubs? Shouldn't happen, poor design. Adding washers
    to make this work is unacceptable, IMO.