American Classic conversion cassette questions

Kovie

Guest
I just bought a 12-25 10spd American Classic conversion cassette to allow me to use my new Mavic
Cosmos wheels with my new Campy 10spd Centaur drivetrain. I'm wondering though if it's possible to
buy spare individual cogs to "convert" this conversion cassette to a different ratio, and if so
from whom?

Specifically, I'd like to be able to swap out the 4 highest gears, which come as two pinned-together
dual "cartridges" of 19/21 & 23/25, to either
18/19 & 21/23 (which would effectively turn this into AC's 12-23 cassette), or 19/21 & 23/27, or
perhaps 19/21 & 23/29.

Note that the lower 6 cogs are as follows: 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. Is it possible to swap any of
them out to achieve similar results?

Also, does anyone know the recommended torque setting for the Shimano-compatible AC lockring?

--
Kovie [email protected]

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:40:04 GMT, "Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Specifically, I'd like to be able to swap out the 4 highest gears, which come as two
>pinned-together dual "cartridges" of 19/21 & 23/25, to either
>18/19 & 21/23 (which would effectively turn this into AC's 12-23 cassette), or 19/21 & 23/27, or
> perhaps 19/21 & 23/29.

Very difficult. The spacing on the AC cassette is not symetrical. The inner cogs are really close
together. You can save a pile of $ by just putting a Shimano 12/23 cassette on. Increase the tension
in the derailleur cable by 1½ turns and screw the inner derailleur stop in 1¼ turns. Go riding. You
will never miss the 18t cog on a real Campy 10 sp. cassette.

Nor will I likely ever need the 12 on the AC 10spd cassette. Thus, my 10spd drivetrain is
effectively a 9spd, in terms of the gears I'm likely to use 99% of the time. So I suppose that if I
ever need higher gears, I can swap out the 12-25 10spd for a 9spd 13-27 or 13-29, and never notice
the "missing" gear.

Still, there's no harm in exploring 10spd options.

--
Kovie [email protected]

news:[email protected]...

"Kovie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:pL%pb.110783$Tr4.308756@attbi_s03...
> Nor will I likely ever need the 12 on the AC 10spd cassette. Thus, my
10spd
> drivetrain is effectively a 9spd, in terms of the gears I'm likely to use 99% of the time. So I
> suppose that if I ever need higher gears, I can swap out the 12-25 10spd for a 9spd 13-27 or
> 13-29, and never notice the "missing" gear.
>
> Still, there's no harm in exploring 10spd options.
>
> --
> Kovie [email protected]

Hey Kovie,

Sorry, I'm a little late (you already ordered from AC) but you should check out Marchisio's
conversion cassettes. It sounds like they're a little more customizable then the AC cassettes in
that you can buy individual cogs. Also nice if one or two wear out but the others are still ok. You
can find them here:

http://anysystem.de/

So far my Campy 9s Veloce group is running fine with a Shimano hub and 9s cassette but should I ever
decide to build a custom cluster then I'll probably order it from them.

Rob Strickland