American Classic Micro Hub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Southworth, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Anyone tried the 68g American Classic front "Micro" hub? Any bearing slop or other problems with it?

    --Paul

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:jcC_9.31523$A%[email protected]...

    > Anyone tried the 68g American Classic front "Micro" hub? Any bearing slop or other problems
    > with it?

    I used one to build a set of "do it all" (training and racing) semi-aero wheels a couple of years
    ago. After about a year or so (5000 miles total?), the tiniest amount of play had developed in the
    bearings, not enough to really matter but I decided I might as well change them anyway. My LBS got
    new bearings from AC for me in less than a week for about $15, and I popped them into place (a 15
    min job). That eliminated the play, but then one of the new bearings quickly developed a "knock"
    that was quite audible when riding, so I had to put new bearings in again. No problems after that
    (wheels have since been sold).

    Bottom line: I'd definitely buy the hub again, but I'd also probably keep a spare set of bearings
    handy because they won't last forever. OTOH, they are so easy to change, it isn't a big deal - less
    work, I'd say, than regreasing a classic cone-and-loose ball bearings hub.

    Dave of Speeddream wheels apparently uses the AC Micro extensively, and has reportedly found a
    source for higher quality/more durable bearings than come standard...

    Andy Coggan

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:jcC_9.31523$A%[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Anyone tried the 68g American Classic front "Micro" hub? Any bearing slop or other problems
    > > with it?

    > I used one to build a set of "do it all" (training and racing) semi-aero wheels a couple of years
    > ago. After about a year or so (5000 miles
    total?),
    > the tiniest amount of play had developed in the bearings, not enough to really matter but I
    > decided I might as well change them anyway. My LBS got new bearings from AC for me in less than a
    > week for about $15, and I
    popped
    > them into place (a 15 min job). That eliminated the play, but then one of the new bearings quickly
    > developed a "knock" that was quite audible when riding, so I had to put new bearings in again. No
    > problems after that (wheels have since been sold).
    >
    > Bottom line: I'd definitely buy the hub again, but I'd also probably keep
    > spare set of bearings handy because they won't last forever. OTOH, they
    are
    > so easy to change, it isn't a big deal - less work, I'd say, than
    regreasing
    > a classic cone-and-loose ball bearings hub.
    >
    > Dave of Speeddream wheels apparently uses the AC Micro extensively, and
    has
    > reportedly found a source for higher quality/more durable bearings than
    come
    > standard...

    Regarding your 'knock"- Many cartridge bearings of that series are delivered with enough oil to
    prevent rust in shipping but no more. It's good practice to lift a shield and pack them with grease.
    In a bicycle hub, you can leave out the inside seal if you wish.

  4. > Isn't there a grease port in the hub? Can you grease it that way? B

    The newest version of the American Classic hubs are built without the grease port. From what I
    understand Bill Shook felt that the majority of people with grease port hubs did not consistently
    use the feature thus leading to poor hub performance. He changed to the new design (minus the grease
    port) with better seals to minimize user influence on performance. SAB

  5. paul-<< Anyone tried the 68g American Classic front "Micro" hub? Any bearing slop or other
    problems with it?

    Used it for a couple of TT wheels, Zipp rims, work fine.