american classic wheels

endurancenoob

Jun 30, 2003
I'm looking for some good all-round race wheels and I'd like your thoughts on the american-classic 350s and the carbons. Owners out there, please give us a review.

I've got a pair of CR420s for racing only (deeper aluminium rims).

I have only really used them in crits and TTs but they are quite light and I would use them on any terrain. They have the advantage of being a bit aero too.

As far as durability goes, they don't handle Sydney roads too well. I have riddein them only about 10 times in races since buying them and the front has gone out of true for the second time.

My ideal prefference would be Zipp 404s

I've got a pair of AC 420's as well and only have 3 rides on them but so far they are great. They replaced my Rolf Vector pro's and are much lighter, and slightly deeper. Great for training.

just got my sprint 350's last week. so far i really like them. i can't really compare them to much else as my last bike was thirty years old.

Does the American Classic 350 and 420s use standard DT double butted spokes? It would be nice to have a light wheelset that used standard spokes rather than some proprietary spoke. I broke a Velomax Orion spoke flush at the rear hub a week ago and was left stranded 15 miles out. It is being rebuilt by Velomax but I was considering selling them and going with the AM 350s or the 420s. At about 1350g for the 350s and a little over 1400g for the 420s, they sound very good considering the price. I wonder what the durability in the long run is? I'm about 165lbs and was looking at the "heavy duty build" for extra margin.