American "Death Machines" may be recalled.

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
Poor quality may force the Hummer H2 super SUV to be recalled.

After seeing action in both Gulf wars these "vehicles" have made it into the domestic market with Americans buying them in thier doves. They are fuel guzzling monsters that take up a lane and a half or roadway.

I know its a dirge but please read the following.

DETROIT (Reuters) - [size=-1]U.S. regulators have opened an investigation into General Motors Corp.'s Hummer H2 after three consumers said a wheel came off the large sport utility vehicle after a steering part cracked. [/size]

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) said it began a "preliminary evaluation" -- a step that often precedes a recall -- into the 2003 and 2004 model year Hummer H2, which has scored poorly in quality studies conducted by J.D. Power and Associates.

A total of four consumers complained that the steering knuckle fractured at the lower ball joint attachment, causing them to lose control of the H2, including three who said a wheel separated from the SUV, NHTSA said on its Web site, http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm.

One consumer crashed into a parked vehicle, and a second veered into oncoming traffic before running into a ditch on the opposite side of the road, NHTSA said.

I love this part..

All four consumers said the H2 was not driven off-road or under any abusive conditions.

of course not, they were taking thier kids on the school run at the time. Thats what they are for.

"We're aware of the investigation and we're cooperating," said GM spokesman Alan Adler.

Despite the poor quality score for the H2, GM has touted its improvement overall in J.D. Power quality studies, including in a full-page ad in the New York Times on Monday.

The H2 is a gas guzzler. Because it has a gross vehicle weight rating over 8500 lbs, the US government does not require it to meet federal fuel efficiency regulations. Hummer isn't even required to publish its fuel economy (owners indicate that they get around 10 mpg for normal use). So while our brothers and sisters are off in the Middle East risking their lives to secure America's fossil fuel future, H2 drivers are pissing away our "spoils of victory" during each trip to the grocery store.

<LI>The H2 is a polluter. Based on G.M.'s optimistic claim that it gets13 mpg, an H2 will produce 3.4 metric tons of carbon emissions in a typical year, nearly double that of G.M.'s Chevrolet Malibu sedan.

<LI>The H2 is a death machine. You'd better hope that you don't collide with an H2 in your economy car. You can kiss your ass goodbye thanks to the H2's massive weight and raised bumpers. Too bad you couldn't afford an urban assault vehicle of your own. Or could you...?

The H2 is a tax loophole. Under Bush's new tax plan, business owners can deduct the entire cost of their $55,000 H2. If you are in the highest tax bracket, that's a tax savings of nearly $20,000! The government rewards you more savings for buying an H2 than you'd get for buying an electric car.
(from http://www.fuh2.com/ **** you and your H2)

for more info check this out.

http://www.hummer9.com/h2pages/main.html

and the bad news for us? Well its already here in the UK. Do you want the American military patrolling your neighbourhood?

Sorry but it's too late.

nick burns said:
oops, I should read the entire post before replying.
They did a study of SUVs in australia and found that they were all prone to flip in an accident because of the hight centre of gravity - only the Volvo was OK. The other companies are now having to research how to electronically adjust the suspension to avoid the flip.

there are also sifnificant staistics about owners reversing over their own children as they cant be seen.

And being much more likely to kill someone that you hit on the roads.

SUVs shoud be banned now, they are not safe for the owners, their children or other people....

I'm not surprised at all. It's not a REAL Humvee Hummer. The H2 is just an oversized GM truck. The military Hummer has a WAY different suspension. The only tire that I've seen come off a REAL Hummer was when a land mine blew one off [the soldiers on board were not seriously injured].

Bottom line, the H2 is just a way for GM to rake in more profits. I doubt it would last long at all against the Humvee.

I'm sure things like this are useful for people who really need their own off-road transportation (provided it's a real off-road vehicle, not just a car dressed up as one), but you should need to demonstrate a genuine need to own one before being allowed to buy one. People driving SUVs and Hummers exclusively on the road are totally irresponsible - they use too much fuel, they are dangerous and they are inconvenient for other road users.

mjw_byrne said:
I'm sure things like this are useful for people who really need their own off-road transportation (provided it's a real off-road vehicle, not just a car dressed up as one), but you should need to demonstrate a genuine need to own one before being allowed to buy one. People driving SUVs and Hummers exclusively on the road are totally irresponsible - they use too much fuel, they are dangerous and they are inconvenient for other road users.

And who will it be that determines what kind of vehicle they think you should drive?

MountainPro said:
Poor quality may force the Hummer H2 super SUV to be recalled.

After seeing action in both Gulf wars these "vehicles" have made it into the domestic market with Americans buying them in thier doves. They are fuel guzzling monsters that take up a lane and a half or roadway.

I know its a dirge but please read the following.

DETROIT (Reuters) - [size=-1]U.S. regulators have opened an investigation into General Motors Corp.'s Hummer H2 after three consumers said a wheel came off the large sport utility vehicle after a steering part cracked. [/size]

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) said it began a "preliminary evaluation" -- a step that often precedes a recall -- into the 2003 and 2004 model year Hummer H2, which has scored poorly in quality studies conducted by J.D. Power and Associates.

A total of four consumers complained that the steering knuckle fractured at the lower ball joint attachment, causing them to lose control of the H2, including three who said a wheel separated from the SUV, NHTSA said on its Web site, http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm.

One consumer crashed into a parked vehicle, and a second veered into oncoming traffic before running into a ditch on the opposite side of the road, NHTSA said.

I love this part..

All four consumers said the H2 was not driven off-road or under any abusive conditions.

of course not, they were taking thier kids on the school run at the time. Thats what they are for.

"We're aware of the investigation and we're cooperating," said GM spokesman Alan Adler.

Despite the poor quality score for the H2, GM has touted its improvement overall in J.D. Power quality studies, including in a full-page ad in the New York Times on Monday.

The H2 is a gas guzzler. Because it has a gross vehicle weight rating over 8500 lbs, the US government does not require it to meet federal fuel efficiency regulations. Hummer isn't even required to publish its fuel economy (owners indicate that they get around 10 mpg for normal use). So while our brothers and sisters are off in the Middle East risking their lives to secure America's fossil fuel future, H2 drivers are pissing away our "spoils of victory" during each trip to the grocery store.

<LI>The H2 is a polluter. Based on G.M.'s optimistic claim that it gets13 mpg, an H2 will produce 3.4 metric tons of carbon emissions in a typical year, nearly double that of G.M.'s Chevrolet Malibu sedan.

<LI>The H2 is a death machine. You'd better hope that you don't collide with an H2 in your economy car. You can kiss your ass goodbye thanks to the H2's massive weight and raised bumpers. Too bad you couldn't afford an urban assault vehicle of your own. Or could you...?

The H2 is a tax loophole. Under Bush's new tax plan, business owners can deduct the entire cost of their $55,000 H2. If you are in the highest tax bracket, that's a tax savings of nearly $20,000! The government rewards you more savings for buying an H2 than you'd get for buying an electric car.
(from http://www.fuh2.com/ **** you and your H2)

for more info check this out.

http://www.hummer9.com/h2pages/main.html

and the bad news for us? Well its already here in the UK. Do you want the American military patrolling your neighbourhood?

Sorry but it's too late.
Of course not,they were taking the kids to school; thats what they're for. Hilarious!

Jakebrake said:
And who will it be that determines what kind of vehicle they think you should drive?
The people who currently decide who can and cannot drive, and what they can and cannot drive. It would only be a small extension of existing law.

Just had a heated discussion, today, about those vehicles lack of relevance to urban driving.They are an abomination unless you have a family of ten. California even has laws restricting them to certain roadways because of their excessive weight. Residential roads aren't built to withstand that kind of weight. I would have that statute extended to the entire country because there a few reasons to purchase one of those vehicles outside of vanity. That goes for all of the SUV "trophy vehicles". More often than not, they have <2 occupants inside & they increase our reliance on foreign oil, all the while despoiling the atmosphere/planet.

mjw_byrne said:
The people who currently decide who can and cannot drive, and what they can and cannot drive. It would only be a small extension of existing law.

And you have no problem with this, the government telling each and every citizen what kind of vehicle they can or can't drive?

Jakebrake said:
And you have no problem with this, the government telling each and every citizen what kind of vehicle they can or can't drive?
I dont have a problem with the government outlawing certain cars because of the environmental impact these have on our biosphere. We are in Iraq to secure more oil just to **** it all up against the wall.

Innocent people are being killed daily so that people like you can drive one at a time in your 6 litre V8 SUVs at 10mpg to go to the local shop for beer. Innocent people who will never be able to afford an SUV and indeed the only ones they have seen have guns sticking out of them.

Can you honestly justify that?

If you have a domestic car that does less than 20mpg then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Why is it that America thinks they have the sole right to destroy the planet we live on, to go to war to secure oil for use back home, to kill the people who own the oil and leave thier country dead and raped? Most developed countries invest in clean technology. Right now a huge windfarm development is being created where i live in order to rid the world of coal and gas generators. I wonder why they bother sometimes with the disgusting filth that America pumps out.

Doesnt your govt have a concience? Its sickening.

Jakebrake said:
He lives in England, i beleive.

MountainPro said:
I dont have a problem with the government outlawing certain cars because of the environmental impact these have on our biosphere. We are in Iraq to secure more oil just to **** it all up against the wall.

Innocent people are being killed daily so that people like you can drive one at a time in your 6 litre V8 SUVs at 10mpg to go to the local shop for beer. Innocent people who will never be able to afford an SUV and indeed the only ones they have seen have guns sticking out of them.

Can you honestly justify that?

If you have a domestic car that does less than 20mpg then you should be ashamed of yourself.

Why is it that America thinks they have the sole right to destroy the planet we live on, to go to war to secure oil for use back home, to kill the people who own the oil and leave thier country dead and raped? Most developed countries invest in clean technology. Right now a huge windfarm development is being created where i live in order to rid the world of coal and gas generators. I wonder why they bother sometimes with the disgusting filth that America pumps out.

Doesnt your govt have a concience? Its sickening.
They're "selling out" by offering tax incentives to people who buy one of these "troop transports" to drive to wal-mart to buy chinese goods. They are also beholden to the oil/auto lobbyists. The auto lobby was successful in convincing the congress to insert language into legislation to offer huge tax incentives to purchasers of these "vanity vehicles". SUV's utility are akin to lighting a cigarette w/ a flame thrower. "Overkill" Any of those over in England ? You do have the 8-cyl Land Rover's correct?, although they are not as brazen a vanity symbol as the hummer.

davidmc said:
Any of those over in England ? You do have the 8-cyl Land Rover's correct?, although they are not as brazen a vanity symbol as the hummer.
Yep, the Land Rover has a V8 version. I hate the arses that drive them who arent actually farmers or the like.

Thats america for you [shakes head] can you see where my discontent is comeing from? Read my sig.

MountainPro said:
Yep, the Land Rover has a V8 version. I hate the arses that drive them who arent actually farmers or the like.
That vehicle is OK in my book, as it has some practical use & is not a behemoth as the Hummer is

davidmc said:
That vehicle is OK in my book, as it has some practical use & is not a behemoth as the Hummer is
I agree with you, they are not as abd as those freakin hummers. And as far as peole buying those big suv's when people dont really need them, it discusts me. Like I said, thats america for you

davidmc said:
Thats true,

the Hummer is more than a super SUV its a symbol of American oppression and domination, Thats what people are buying into.

Land Rovers were the first to build true 4X4 off road untility vehicles for the non consumer market in a mass manufacutered environment.

Did you know that 75% of all land rovers ever made are actually still on the road and MOTed? Hows that for reliability. Not even Mitsubishi or Subaru (the most reliable cars in the world) can match that.

MountainPro said:
Not even Mitsubishi or Subaru (the most reliable cars in the world) can match that.

I wouldn't really place Mitsubishi as one of the most reliable cars in the world. Subaru is up there, definitely Toyota, maybe Honda, but I don't see Mitsubushi up with them, nor Nissan.

Yeah, Land Rover makes some nice vehicles. Can't afford one though. I'll stick with the reliability vehicles that I can afford. . . . .Toyota. :)