American Flyer Question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Matt Cahill, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Cahill

Matt Cahill Guest

I just saw the movie "American Flyer". There is a scene at the end where two cyclists are at the
    front of the race and one cyclist deliberately leans into another cyclist over an extended period
    clearly trying to make him crash. I have seen tapes of actual races where sprinters are relegated to
    last place when they engage in “dangerous sprinting”. So here are my questions:

1. Wouldn’t an official be in position to see such behavior at the front of a race and
    penalize the cyclist who is deliberately attempting to wreck the other.

2. If a cyclist was regularly so dirty…wouldn’t his fellow peleton members have
    already taken care of him long before he even got to that position. After all, such a rider
    would be a threat to the earnings and lives of all the peleton members.

I've never raced, so I'm looking for the opinions of people who have.

Tags:

2. Time Cop

Time Cop New Member

Four words: "Only In The Movies."

3. Jeff Potter

Jeff Potter Guest

It's Hollywood.

--

Jeff Potter
    *Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com for modern folkways and culture revival...
    ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...new books featuring: XC ski
    culture, a Gulf Coast thriller folding bicycles ... with radical novels coming up! ...original
    downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums!
    HOLY SMOKES!

4. Mike S.

Mike S. Guest

"Time Cop" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Four words: "Only In The Movies."
    >
    >
    Actually, the three letter acronym is "POS:" Power Of the Script. Solves a lot of sticky problems
    for those that make movies...

Mike

5. [email protected] (Matt Cahill) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I just saw the movie "American Flyer". There is a scene at the end where two cyclists are at the
    > front of the race and one cyclist deliberately leans into another cyclist over an extended period
    > clearly trying to make him crash. I have seen tapes of actual races where sprinters are relegated
    > to last place when they engage in “dangerous sprinting”. So here are my questions:
    >
    > 1. Wouldn’t an official be in position to see such behavior at the front of a race and
    > penalize the cyclist who is deliberately attempting to wreck the other.

Yes.

> 2. If a cyclist was regularly so dirty…wouldn’t his fellow peleton members have
    > already taken care of him long before he even got to that position. After all, such a rider
    > would be a threat to the earnings and lives of all the peleton members.

Yes.

> I've never raced, so I'm looking for the opinions of people who have.

Don't let this type of behaviour scare you off. Like others have said, its mostly just for the
    movies. You will almost never see this type of thing happen (at least intentionally) in a real race.

- Boyd S.

6. Mike S.

Mike S. Guest

> > I just saw the movie "American Flyer". There is a scene at the end where two cyclists are at the
    > > front of the race and one cyclist deliberately leans into another cyclist over an extended
    > > period clearly trying to make him crash. I have seen tapes of actual races where sprinters are
    > > relegated to last place when they engage in “dangerous sprinting”. So here are my
    > > questions:
    > >
    > > 1. Wouldn’t an official be in position to see such behavior at the front of a race and
    > > penalize the cyclist who is deliberately attempting to wreck the other.
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > 2. If a cyclist was regularly so dirty…wouldn’t his fellow peleton members have
    > > already taken care of him long before he even got to that position. After all, such a
    > > rider would be a threat to the earnings and lives of all the peleton members.
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > I've never raced, so I'm looking for the opinions of people who have.
    >
    > Don't let this type of behaviour scare you off. Like others have said, its mostly just for
    > the movies. You will almost never see this type of thing happen (at least intentionally) in a
    > real race.
    >
    > - Boyd S.
    >
    ...and at the level he'd be racing, if someone tried a stunt like that, half the pack would
    fall over!

Mike

7. Raptor

Raptor Guest

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    > Don't let this type of behaviour scare you off. Like others have said, its mostly just for
    > the movies. You will almost never see this type of thing happen (at least intentionally) in a
    > real race.
    >
    > - Boyd S.

Many years ago I participated in a cat-4 criterium where someone in front of me did this leaning.
    He'd apparently had just watched the movie. It was silly; we were at least one kilometer from the
    finish, it was a peloton of maybe 20 spread out across a wide road. I remember thinking, "Oh,
    there's the designated squirrel of the day."

--
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

8. On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 15:53:43 GMT, Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] (Matt Cahill) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I just saw the movie "American Flyer". There is a scene at the end where two cyclists are at the
    >> front of the race and one cyclist deliberately leans into another cyclist over an extended period
    >> clearly trying to make him crash.
    <snip>
    >Don't let this type of behaviour scare you off. Like others have said, its mostly just for
    >the movies. You will almost never see this type of thing happen (at least intentionally) in a
    >real race.
    >
    >- Boyd S.

You've never ridden a Highland Games grass track meet then, Boyd? "This type of behaviour" is
    compulsory there.

Regards! Stephen

9. Dave H

Dave H Guest

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Matt Cahill) wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I just saw the movie "American Flyer". There is a scene at the end where two cyclists are at the
    > > front of the race and one cyclist deliberately leans into another cyclist over an extended
    > > period clearly trying to make him crash. I have seen tapes of actual races where sprinters are
    > > relegated to last place when they engage in “dangerous sprinting”. So here are my
    > > questions:
    > >
    > > 1. Wouldn’t an official be in position to see such behavior at the front of a race and
    > > penalize the cyclist who is deliberately attempting to wreck the other.
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > 2. If a cyclist was regularly so dirty…wouldn’t his fellow peleton members have
    > > already taken care of him long before he even got to that position. After all, such a
    > > rider would be a threat to the earnings and lives of all the peleton members.
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > > I've never raced, so I'm looking for the opinions of people who have.
    >
    > real race.
    >

But do be careful of opponents jamming a frame pump into your front wheel.

dave h

10. Yes and yes.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.