American Flyer

"Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Dan wrote:
> > Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> >>You could ask Eddy Merckx. In 1984, some fool stuffed him into a US national team jersey, put
> >>him on a bike, and made him climb the wall in front of a huge crowd. He crested the wall looking
> >>like he was ready to
> >>die. I was sitting on a guardrail at the top and by chance we made eye contact, and then he
> >> looked down in apparent embarrassment. I've felt guilty every since that I didn't disguise
> >> my shock better.
> >>
> >>Bret (rec.bicycles.rides ???)
> >

> > You saw Eddie Merckx???
>
> Yes, he used to come to Boulder often in the 80's. The Boulder Spoke sold his frames and he would
> make promotional appearances there and even do custom bike fittings. In 1984, he was there for the
> Coor's Classic stage and they had him ride up the wall before the race. That would also have been
> the day they filmed the American Flyer footage. After the race , they asked the crowd to stay,
> changed the banners and shot the finnish line scene on the wall.
>
> Bret
Did you see Cosner and Chong too? How many times have you climbed Mt. Evans?

Bruce

you hit it right on the head. it was Eric. never knew him before that day. we did that loop and
talked about race weak in Wisconsin. he didn't make the flight due to his window and the weather
didn't cooperate. we even saw phinney out that day i believe as we were heading down hill back for
another go at it. man there were some nice bucks that used to hang out on those hills. between them
and the bull snakes you always had something to take your mind off the pain. i loved that loop
though. used to be able to hurt em bad out there for some reason. the hills were just steep enough
and long enough to hurt the others but they never killed me that way for some reason. that was then,
and this is now though......

so Bret. do they give you all kinds of free simple green. if they do, where do I sign up??????

were you wearing the older MB team gear in that pic? sporting a old zinn? maybe you and i have
crossed paths out there training eh....?

man, did boulder change for the worse or what. when i lived there it was nothing but cycling and
world class athletes, last time i was there it seemed way differenet. too many people etc......dont
get me wrong, there are alot of good cyclist still there and racing, but the general populus and the
amount of them is a way different vibe. sorta fake facade type it seems.

"brian roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Cycling Joe <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> > > is on ESPN Classics right now. (10:00pm EST 03/16/03)
> >
> > The only interesting scene in this movie is Rae Dawn Chong
changing a flat
> > tire. She's better than most guys I know.
>
> During a earlier take, she tossed the flatted wheel to her left,
into the
> road, causing a crash in the group following behind. I wonder if
they
> will include that on the DVD?

I've seen that on Cat 1 support.

Nevertheless the only "big ring hill" is one you can ride up at the END of a race in the big ring.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >

> > This sounds like someone who's ridden the "morgul bismark" on his computainer and thinks he
> > knows something about it. You climb for
half a
> > mile before you even reach the wall.
> >

> dont even know what a compu-trainer is. is that what the posters on
rbr R?

> I have ridden, raced, and trained it over thirty times when living,
racing
> in boulder 85-88. I may have put it wrong in that, you can, and I
did,
> during the earlier parts of a race and then your legs were shot or
it was a
> huge effort to do again. then you were in the small ring. the feed
hill is
> to me the tougher of the two climbs on the loop, unless of course
you do it
> backwards then the highway climb is tougher out of boulder. I
remember
> training on it with the guy who was on that team for that cycling
airplane
> thingy where they broke the record manpowered flight. I was on my
fourth lap
> and he was on his 7th of ten laps. now thats when it is a tough time
in the
> big ring.

"JTN" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I remember training on it with the guy who was on that team for that cycling
airplane
> thingy where they broke the record manpowered flight. I was on my
fourth lap
> and he was on his 7th of ten laps. now thats when it is a tough time
in the
> big ring.

I think that you have to qualify that. One time I had one of those really expensive chains on my
bike and while coasting down a 3rd gear hill with a group my the bouncing threw a loop in the chain
and when I started pedalling it broke the front derailleur and bent it into a figure 8. I managed to
bend everything around could get one gear - 53-19 which I then rode back over the hill and home on.
So if you aren't making speed you can sometimes do some pretty impressive climbs in the big gear but
that doesn't make it a big ring climb.

JTN wrote:
> so Bret. do they give you all kinds of free simple green. if they do, where do I sign up??????
>
> were you wearing the older MB team gear in that pic? sporting a old zinn? maybe you and i have
> crossed paths out there training eh....?
>
> man, did boulder change for the worse or what. when i lived there it was nothing but cycling and
> world class athletes, last time i was there it seemed way differenet. too many people
> etc......dont get me wrong, there are alot of good cyclist still there and racing, but the general
> populus and the amount of them is a way different vibe. sorta fake facade type it seems.

I was riding for Hammer Racing Team and that was a Davidson. Sure Boulder's changed. Some for the
better, some for the worse.

Bret

Bruce Johnston wrote:
> "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

>>Dan wrote:
>>
>>>Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
> news:<[email protected]>...

>>>You saw Eddie Merckx???
>>
>>Yes, he used to come to Boulder often in the 80's. The Boulder Spoke sold his frames and he would
>>make promotional appearances there and even do custom bike fittings. In 1984, he was there for the
>>Coor's Classic stage and they had him ride up the wall before the race. That would also have been
>>the day they filmed the American Flyer footage. After the race , they asked the crowd to stay,
>>changed the banners and shot the finnish line scene on the wall.
>>
>>Bret

> Did you see Cosner and Chong too?

No. I could be wrong, but I don't think they had any of the actors there on race day.

How many times have you climbed Mt.
> Evans?

Three times. Five if you count driving support vehicles.

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 03:05:44 GMT, Cycling Joe <[email protected]> wrote:

>is on ESPN Classics right now. (10:00pm EST 03/16/03)
>
>According to the cable guide, it contains NUDITY, Adult Content, and Adult Situations.

Excellent link to cycling movies list posted to urc:

Subject: Cycling Movies Big List From: Seamus <[email protected]> Sender: Seamus
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling

http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html

Own up - who's seen/was in #59?

Cheers! Stephen

There was a movie listed there called "Two Seconds". This looked like it was going to turn into a
good movie but the last half hour really siucked.

news:[email protected]...