American Flyer

Cycling Joe

Guest
is on ESPN Classics right now. (10:00pm EST 03/16/03)

According to the cable guide, it contains NUDITY, Adult Content, and Adult Situations.

"Bartow W. Riggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> She had to have prepared a lot for that scene. She appears...um...well she practiced....

So do you think anyone can change a flat fast without flatting?

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Cycling Joe wrote:

> is on ESPN Classics right now. (10:00pm EST 03/16/03)
>
> According to the cable guide, it contains NUDITY, Adult Content, and Adult Situations.

One dialog in the movie goes something like this:

"We are going out for sprint practice with Eddie" "Well, be careful, that Eddie is a REAL son
of a *****"
:)

--
David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada email: [email protected] WWW pages:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/dermott/

the best scene is when his bro changes shirts with his new hitchhiker chick and she flashes her
titties....what was the rest of it about? oh yea, i do remember the son of the gym owner wanting to
bowl instead of any other sport. now that was funny as ****....

Ken <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Cycling Joe <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> > is on ESPN Classics right now. (10:00pm EST 03/16/03)
>
> The only interesting scene in this movie is Rae Dawn Chong changing a flat tire. She's better than
> most guys I know.

During a earlier take, she tossed the flatted wheel to her left, into the road, causing a crash in
the group following behind. I wonder if they will include that on the DVD?

>From: "JTN" [email protected]

>the best scene is when his bro changes shirts with his new hitchhiker chick and she flashes her
>titties....what was the rest of it about?

Gotta love Alexandra Paul. Great athlete too. Only one of the Baywatch crowd that didn't have
auxiliary flotation added as far as I know. Bill C

<< > According to the cable guide, it contains NUDITY, Adult Content, and
> Adult Situations. >>

There is a scene where Kevin Costner's nemesis is being interviewed by a female reporter after the
stage. I forget the character's name, but he's a dead ringer for Mario Cipollini. Anyway, in
response to her question about certain facts, he replies, "You wouldn't know a fact if it banged you
all night." I liked that one.

thats right she was a baywatch chickerdy.....wasnt she married to kit? she even became a triathalete
and did the ironman didnt she?

Cycling Joe wrote:
> is on ESPN Classics right now. (10:00pm EST 03/16/03)
>
> According to the cable guide, it contains NUDITY, Adult Content, and Adult Situations.

I was there. IIRC, Boulder road stage of the Coors Classic, 1983. They filmed the finish line scenes
in front of the live crowd.

I'd driven my '66 Rambler with the hole in the floor under the driver's feet down from Rapid City,
with $100 in my pocket and a bike and tent in the back.

What was that hill called? Something lame like "The Wall," maybe.

Alexi Grewal won the stage, carrying his bike across the line for show.

the morgul bismarck wall..... not much of a wall really. you can carry alot of speed from the
downhill just before it and even stay in the big ring if your riding strong.

JTN wrote:

> the morgul bismarck wall.....

"The Wall"

Morgul and Bismark were a local restaurant owner's cats. He named the 13 mile loop containing, The
Hump, The Wall, and the deceptively harder (longer) - Feed Hill (where the pace was slow enough to
grab a food bag), and somehow it stuck.

.... I loved that particular race. The judges hesitated before giving Alexi the win because they
didn't know if it was legal for him to stop short of the finish line, and carry his bike across (He
was all alone when he got there. The finish was at the top of The Wall.). We all also knew that the
judges did not like Alexi. (I remember when he flipped them the bird in the North Boulder crit when
they wouldn't slow the pace during a wreck in the rain.)

> not much of a wall really.

Ha! I beg to differ. Not many people would say that.

> you can carry a lot of speed from the downhill just before it and even stay in the big ring if
> your riding strong.

If you are riding REALLY, REALLY, REALLY strong. I'm lucky these days if I can stay in my MTB's
middle 38 without dropping to the granny. I was never able to ride it using my road bike's 52. I use
to ride it in my road bike's 42 chain ring, but that was 10 - 15 years ago - and I haven't ridden a
road bike in nearly as long.

I was pretty strong back in those days. Not so today.

Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
that knowledge.

JTN wrote:
> the morgul bismarck wall..... not much of a wall really. you can carry alot of speed from the
> downhill just before it and even stay in the big ring if your riding strong.

This sounds like someone who's ridden the "morgul bismark" on his computainer and thinks he knows
something about it. You climb for half a mile before you even reach the wall.

I did see Davis Phinney sprint up the wall in the big ring once, but that was hardly normal. I was
also lucky enough to see Moreno Argentin sprint up the wall in 1986, he might have been in the big
ring, but I couldn't say for sure.

You could ask Eddy Merckx. In 1984, some fool stuffed him into a US national team jersey, put him on
a bike, and made him climb the wall in front of a huge crowd. He crested the wall looking like he
was ready to
die. I was sitting on a guardrail at the top and by chance we made eye contact, and then he
looked down in apparent embarrassment. I've felt guilty every since that I didn't disguise
my shock better.

Bret (rec.bicycles.rides ???)

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> JTN wrote:
>

>>the morgul bismarck wall.....
>

> "The Wall"
>
> Morgul and Bismark were a local restaurant owner's cats. He named the 13 mile loop containing, The
> Hump, The Wall, and the deceptively harder (longer) - Feed Hill (where the pace was slow enough to
> grab a food bag), and somehow it stuck.

Not to be anal, but a cat and a dog wasn't it? The hardest thing about the feed hill was that it
followed the wall so closely. You might not get dropped at the wall, but if you didn't recover well,
the feed hill would get you.

I used to ride for the Le Peep/Morgul Bismark team. One fake french name followed by a misspelled
german name.

Bret

"Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> This sounds like someone who's ridden the "morgul bismark" on his computainer and thinks he knows
> something about it. You climb for half a mile before you even reach the wall.

dont even know what a compu-trainer is. is that what the posters on rbr R?

I have ridden, raced, and trained it over thirty times when living, racing in boulder 85-88. I may
have put it wrong in that, you can, and I did, during the earlier parts of a race and then your legs
were shot or it was a huge effort to do again. then you were in the small ring. the feed hill is to
me the tougher of the two climbs on the loop, unless of course you do it backwards then the highway
climb is tougher out of boulder. I remember training on it with the guy who was on that team for
that cycling airplane thingy where they broke the record manpowered flight. I was on my fourth lap
and he was on his 7th of ten laps. now thats when it is a tough time in the big ring.

Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> You could ask Eddy Merckx. In 1984, some fool stuffed him into a US national team jersey, put him
> on a bike, and made him climb the wall in front of a huge crowd. He crested the wall looking like
> he was ready to
> die. I was sitting on a guardrail at the top and by chance we made eye contact, and then he looked
> down in apparent embarrassment. I've felt guilty every since that I didn't disguise my shock
> better.
>
> Bret (rec.bicycles.rides ???)

You saw Eddie Merckx???

JTN wrote:
> "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>

>>This sounds like someone who's ridden the "morgul bismark" on his computainer and thinks he knows
>>something about it. You climb for half a mile before you even reach the wall.
>>

> dont even know what a compu-trainer is. is that what the posters on rbr R?
>
> I have ridden, raced, and trained it over thirty times when living, racing in boulder 85-88. I may
> have put it wrong in that, you can, and I did, during the earlier parts of a race and then your
> legs were shot or it was a huge effort to do again. then you were in the small ring. the feed hill
> is to me the tougher of the two climbs on the loop, unless of course you do it backwards then the
> highway climb is tougher out of boulder. I remember training on it with the guy who was on that
> team for that cycling airplane thingy where they broke the record manpowered flight. I was on my
> fourth lap and he was on his 7th of ten laps. now thats when it is a tough time in the big ring.

I was never once tempted to stay in the big ring on the wall. I do remember flying over the
feedhill in the big ring during races, which was much easier in a large pack compared to riding it
alone. In 1989 I sprinted the wall in a 39/14 with a massive tailwind to win the cat 3 race.
Without the wind, I would have used a 39/17. This picture was taken by the very young son of a
teammate with a Polaroid:

http://www.fischer-wade.com/davidson/morgul.htm

Was that Eric Schmidt that you were riding with that day? He was one of the five pilots in the
Daedalus Project and later coached the CU cycling team.

Bret

Dan wrote:
> Bret Wade <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>You could ask Eddy Merckx. In 1984, some fool stuffed him into a US national team jersey, put him
>>on a bike, and made him climb the wall in front of a huge crowd. He crested the wall looking like
>>he was ready to
>>die. I was sitting on a guardrail at the top and by chance we made eye contact, and then he looked
>> down in apparent embarrassment. I've felt guilty every since that I didn't disguise my shock
>> better.
>>
>>Bret (rec.bicycles.rides ???)
>

> You saw Eddie Merckx???

Yes, he used to come to Boulder often in the 80's. The Boulder Spoke sold his frames and he would
make promotional appearances there and even do custom bike fittings. In 1984, he was there for the
Coor's Classic stage and they had him ride up the wall before the race. That would also have been
the day they filmed the American Flyer footage. After the race , they asked the crowd to stay,
changed the banners and shot the finnish line scene on the wall.

Bret

>the best scene is when his bro changes shirts with his new hitchhiker chick and she flashes her
>titties....what was the rest of it about?

That actress later went on to be a Baywatch regular. I also believe she recently competed in an Iron
Man compettition.

>oh yea, i do remember the son of the gym owner wanting to bowl instead of any other sport. now that
>was funny as ****....

Especially when the kid splashes water on his sweats to make it look like he was actually sweating.