American Heart Association Guidelines

Alan

Guest
Hullo All

Deliberately X-posted to a.s.d and m.h.d. Cut one if you wish.

I'm sure this is "old news" to many here, but I'm still a learner.

The "AHA Dietary Guidelines Revised for the New Millennium" were published back in 2001. If anyone
knows of a later version than the link below, I'd appreciate the reference. It's at:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/407333

I've included a couple of snippets that may be of interest, particularly concerned with fibre,
cholesterol, eggs etc.

However, it's not a very long document and very readable to my non-medically trained mind, so I
would urge anyone interested in dietary recommendations to read it all.

Some here will disagree with some of the recommendations, but once again a slow change away from the
old recommendations appears to be happening.

Some snippets (upper case for emphasis is my own):

"Abstract A recent statement for health care professionals, issued by the American Heart
Association, details key measures toward maintaining cardiovascular health. These include increased
consumption of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; implementing an exercise program; replacing
saturated fats with fish and nuts; and limiting salt and alcohol intake."

<snip>

"Modifications for Subgroups

For diabetic patients, increasing fiber in their diets can help lower blood sugar levels.[10]
However, the AHA recommends that THEY INCREASE FIBER INTAKE THROUGH FOODS THAT CONTAIN UNSATURATED
FAT (eg, nuts and beans) RATHER THAN CARBOHYDRATES."

<snip>

"Juggling Cholesterol Levels

There is strong evidence that elevated low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels spell
trouble for the cardiovascular system. Saturated fat, especially in dairy products and meats, is a
major culprit in raising LDL cholesterol levels.[25]Trans-fatty acids, which the AHA hopes that
manufacturers will someday list on food labels, also raise LDL cholesterol levels and are found in
baked goods, fried foods, fast foods, restaurant fare, margarine, and other products made with
hydrogenated fat. In general, both saturated fat and trans-fatty acid intake should be limited to
less than 10% of calories.

One way to lower LDL cholesterol levels is to replace foods high in saturated fat with those foods
containing polyunsaturated fats (eg, nuts, beans, flaxseed oils). Eating oat products is also
particularly useful in lowering LDL cholesterol levels.

The AHA Nutrition Committee members estimate that the general public should strive to limit
cholesterol consumption to less than 300 milligrams a day. Those who have problems with high LDL
cholesterol levels, diabetes, or cardiovascular disease should aim for less than 200 milligrams a
day.[26] Although shellfish and eggs are high in cholesterol, they are low in saturated fat. STUDIES
HAVE SHOWN THAT EATING SHELLFISH AND EGGS DOES NOT SIGNIFICANTLY AFFECT LDL CHOLESTEROL
LEVEL.[27,28]"

You'll have to read the original for context and references.

Food for thought?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Alan wrote:

> The "AHA Dietary Guidelines Revised for the New Millennium" were published back in 2001. If anyone
> knows of a later version than the link below, I'd appreciate the reference. It's at:

This a search of AHA journals for dietary recommendations. http://tinyurl.com/3b3nq

Frank

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:51:13 -0500, Frank Roy <[email protected]> wrote:

>Alan wrote:
>>

>> The "AHA Dietary Guidelines Revised for the New Millennium" were published back in 2001. If
>> anyone knows of a later version than the link below, I'd appreciate the reference. It's at:
>
>This a search of AHA journals for dietary recommendations. http://tinyurl.com/3b3nq
>
>Frank

Thanks Frank More reading to do.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.