  1. Tags:

  2. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    22 Oct 2003 16:55:17 -0700 in article
    <[email protected]> [email protected]
    (Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD) wrote:

    >See:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/rz25

    That's old news, issued last year, before the new important studies were
    published. Besides, from the article

    The burning question
    The Sydney Morning Herald, October 23, 2003
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/22/1066631499123.html

    read at least this citation:

    "Those already embarked on such research suspect that it will take a
    great deal to overcome the visceral response the mere mention of
    Atkins provokes among academics. Says Brehm: "A lot of people just
    want to hold on to what they learned in college.""

    --
    Matti Narkia

  3. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Thu, 23 Oct 2003 05:10:31 GMT in article
    <[email protected]> Matti Narkia
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >22 Oct 2003 16:55:17 -0700 in article
    ><[email protected]> [email protected]
    >(Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD) wrote:
    >
    >>See:
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/rz25

    >That's old news, issued last year, before the new important studies were
    >published. Besides, from the article
    >
    >The burning question
    >The Sydney Morning Herald, October 23, 2003
    >http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/22/1066631499123.html
    >
    >read at least this citation:
    >
    > "Those already embarked on such research suspect that it will take a
    > great deal to overcome the visceral response the mere mention of
    > Atkins provokes among academics. Says Brehm: "A lot of people just
    > want to hold on to what they learned in college.""

    Another interesting quote from the article:

    "Such attitudes might suggest that the scientific world is in the
    grip of cognitive dissonance over the Atkins Diet, preferring to
    ignore whatever evidence it does not like. Professor Eric Westman, a
    clinical trials expert at Duke University in North Carolina, and
    author of a study of the evidence for and against the diet, says,
    "It is making people re-examine dogma - and it's not always
    appreciated."

    According to his review, which is due to appear in Current
    Atherosclerosis Reports, studies show that the Atkins diet does
    produce weight loss over six months, and without obvious health
    effects. Contrary to the claims of many nutritionists, there is even
    evidence that it may be healthier than the standard diet: despite
    its promotion of fat and eggs, studies suggest that the diet may
    boost levels of the healthy forms of cholesterol.

    Westman thinks that this unexpected effect may explain a long-
    standing mystery surrounding heart disease. In the late 1980s,
    researchers began investigating the unusually low rates of heart
    attacks and stroke among Eskimo communities in Greenland. Until now,
    the explanation was thought to lie in their diet of oily fish. Yet
    attempts to reduce heart disease using supplements of fish oil
    extracts proved disappointing. Westman says the studies of the
    Atkins diet point to another explanation: that the lo-carb diet
    forced on the Inuit by their environment gives them higher levels of
    healthy forms of cholesterol, which are proven to lower heart
    disease risk."

    --
    Matti Narkia

  4. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:18:09 -0400 in article
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Matti Narkia wrote:
    >
    >> 22 Oct 2003 16:55:17 -0700 in article
    >> <[email protected]> [email protected]
    >> (Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD) wrote:
    >>
    >> >See:
    >> >
    >> >http://tinyurl.com/rz25

    >> That's old news, issued last year, before the new important studies were
    >> published.

    >It remains the position of the AHA. Sorry.

    I'm also sorry about the picture it gives about AHA.

    --
    Matti Narkia

  5. M_un Shot

    M_un Shot Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:27:34 GMT, Matti Narkia <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>> That's old news, issued last year, before the new important studies were
    >>> published.

    >>It remains the position of the AHA. Sorry.

    >I'm also sorry about the picture it gives about AHA.

    The AHA could care less about your opinion unless you are a
    cardiologist.

    Are you a cardiologist or an MD or exactly what are you, Matti?

    Lift well, Eat less, Walk fast, Live long.

  6. Matti Narkia wrote:

    > Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:18:09 -0400 in article
    > <[email protected]> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Matti Narkia wrote:
    > >
    > >> 22 Oct 2003 16:55:17 -0700 in article
    > >> <[email protected]> [email protected]

    > >> That's old news, issued last year, before the new important studies were
    > >> published.

    > >It remains the position of the AHA. Sorry.

    > I'm also sorry about the picture it gives about AHA.

    ... to the jaundiced eye of a low-carber perhaps.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  7. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:22:55 -0400 in article
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Matti Narkia wrote:
    >
    >> Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:18:09 -0400 in article
    >> <[email protected]> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >It remains the position of the AHA. Sorry.

    >> I'm also sorry about the picture it gives about AHA.

    >.. to the jaundiced eye of a low-carber perhaps.

    FYI I'm not a low-carber. I'm not a high-carber either. I have no problem
    keeping my weight, so I don't count my calories, carbs or fat, just try to
    eat healthily. But I'm theoretically interested in LC diets, because
    according to recent studies they may be onto something.

    --
    Matti Narkia

  8. M_un Shot

    M_un Shot Guest

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:35:01 GMT, Matti Narkia <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I have no problem
    >keeping my weight, so I don't count my calories, carbs or fat, just try to
    >eat healthily.

    What exactly do you determine is "eating healthily"? What is your
    average food/drink intake in pounds per day?

  9. Matti Narkia wrote:

    > Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:22:55 -0400 in article
    > <[email protected]> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Matti Narkia wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:18:09 -0400 in article
    > >> <[email protected]> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"

    > >> I'm also sorry about the picture it gives about AHA.

    > >.. to the jaundiced eye of a low-carber perhaps.
    > >

    > FYI I'm not a low-carber. I'm not a high-carber either. I have no problem
    > keeping my weight, so I don't count my calories, carbs or fat, just try to
    > eat healthily. But I'm theoretically interested in LC diets

    Sounds like more than just a theoretical interest.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  10. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:35:33 -0400 in article
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Matti Narkia wrote:
    >
    >> Thu, 23 Oct 2003 14:22:55 -0400 in article
    >> <[email protected]> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >.. to the jaundiced eye of a low-carber perhaps.
    >> >

    >> FYI I'm not a low-carber. I'm not a high-carber either. I have no problem
    >> keeping my weight, so I don't count my calories, carbs or fat, just try to
    >> eat healthily. But I'm theoretically interested in LC diets

    >Sounds like more than just a theoretical interest.

    Not immediately. If LC diets prove generally useful even for people who
    don't need to lose weight, then it's a different story. Let's wait and read
    new studies which are bound to keep coming.

    --
    Matti Narkia

  11. Susan

    Susan Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    > If LC diets prove generally useful even for people who
    >don't need to lose weight, then it's a different story. Let's wait and read
    >new studies which are bound to keep coming.
    >
    >--
    >Matti Narkia

    Here's one that should be of interest:

    Blood Glucose Concentration Linked to>Cardiovascular Risk in Nondiabetic Men>

    WESTPORT,>CT (Reuters Health) Jan 04 - Increased glycated hemoglobin
    (HbA1c)>concentrations are predictive of cardiovascular mortality among
    all men,>not only those with diabetes, according to a report in the
    British>Medical Journal for January 6.

    Dr. Kay-Tee Khaw and colleagues, from>the University of Cambridge
    School of Clinical Medicine, UK, collected>data on all-cause mortality
    and cardiovascular mortality in 4662 men, 45>to 79 years of age, who
    participated in the Norfolk UK cohort of the>European Prospective
    Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition>(EPIC-Norfolk). At baseline,
    from 1995 to 1997, HbA1c was measured and>the subjects were followed
    until December 1999.

    As expected, Dr.>Khaw's group found that diabetic men had increased
    mortality for all>causes, cardiovascular disease and ischemic disease.
    They also noted that>HbA1c concentrations were "continuously related to
    subsequent all-cause,>cardiovascular, and ischemic mortality through
    the whole population." The>lowest mortality rates were associated with
    HbA1c concentrations below>5%.

    Further, the group noted that a 1% increase in HbA1c was>associated
    with a 28% increased risk of death, which was independent of>age, blood
    pressure, cholesterol, body mass index and>smoking.

    "Eighteen percent of the population excess mortality risk>associated
    with a HbA1c concentration of 5% or more occurred in men with>diabetes,
    but 82% occurred in men with concentrations of 5% to 6.9% (the>majority
    of the population)," Dr. Khaw and colleagues point>out.

    The researchers propose that an elevated concentrations of>HbA1c is a
    marker for greater absolute risk among all men, and>"preventive
    treatment with blood pressure- or cholesterol-lowering drugs>should be
    considered in such patients."

    They point out that if>the population of nondiabetic men was able to
    lower its HbA1c>concentration by 0.1%, total mortality could be reduced
    by 5%, and if the>concentration could be lowered by 0.2%, then total
    mortality could be>reduced by 10% in this population.

    Susan

  12. M_un Shot schrieb:

    > >>It remains the position of the AHA. Sorry.

    > >I'm also sorry about the picture it gives about AHA.

    > The AHA could care less about your opinion unless you are a
    > cardiologist.
    >
    > Are you a cardiologist or an MD or exactly what are you, Matti?

    Atkins was a cardiologist.

    Thorsten

    --
    "Nothing in biology makes sense, except in the light of evolution"

    (Theodosius Dobzhansky)

  13. Mars at the Mu_n's Edge schrieb:

    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:36:12 +0100, Thorsten Schier
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> Are you a cardiologist or an MD or exactly what are you, Matti?

    > >Atkins was a cardiologist.
    > >
    > >Thorsten

    > Thank you.
    >
    > <rolling eyes>