American made Bikes, I'm surprised!

thomasward00

Jan 8, 2004
'm a new rider and I have a Gary Fisher Advance, I have just gotten my new issue of Mountain Bike Action Magazine, they have a buying guide of 2004 mountainbikes, hundreds of them from 499.99 up to 5 thousand, what has totally shocked me is that most companies make their bikes in asia, now I know that department store bikes and lower priced bikes like my 300 dollar Fisher are made in asia, but mine is assembled and the frame is painted here. Big companies like Giant, Kona, Jamis, Raleigh, Diamondback, KHS, Specialized and more these companies listed from their 300 dollar, all the way up their entire line make their bikes in asia, I'm sorry but If I dump 2 grand on a bike I want it prescision built by skilled people who make a decent wage, not in a sweatshop in taiwan where people make 3 dollars a month. I have a new respect for Trek, Fisher, Lemond, and Cannondale, because almost all of their lines are built here in the U.S., I know that Trek and it's companies or Cannondale aren't know for the most bang for the buck but, if i'm spending 2 or 3 thousand dollar bike, I'll pay an extra 2 or 3 hundred bucks for a trek, fisher or cannondale. Now most of the high dollar freeride bikes from the very small companies are made here.

My two cents.

[QUOTE I'm sorry but If I dump 2 grand on a bike I want it prescision built by skilled people who make a decent wage, not in a sweatshop in taiwan where people make 3 dollars a month. /QUOTE]
Interesting generalisation to make that anything coming from Asia is put together in a sweatshop in Taiwan. I hope you remember to remove all those Shimano (as used by many World Champions) components before you take it for a ride.
I work in an industry where we purchase and use a lot of American-made equipment. Don't go thinking that shoddy workmanship is a feature only found in Asia. Patriotism is fine - zenophobia is not.
Before you run down their workmanship, have a look at the quality of those foreign-made bikes you are talking of.

Originally posted by EoinC
[QUOTE I'm sorry but If I dump 2 grand on a bike I want it prescision built by skilled people who make a decent wage, not in a sweatshop in taiwan where people make 3 dollars a month. /QUOTE]
Interesting generalisation to make that anything coming from Asia is put together in a sweatshop in Taiwan. I hope you remember to remove all those Shimano (as used by many World Champions) components before you take it for a ride.
I work in an industry where we purchase and use a lot of American-made equipment. Don't go thinking that shoddy workmanship is a feature only found in Asia. Patriotism is fine - zenophobia is not.
Before you run down their workmanship, have a look at the quality of those foreign-made bikes you are talking of.

I think what this country needs right now is a little XENOPHOBIA, have you seen the unemployment rate in this country? I don't have a problem with american companies using asian factories for products sold in those markets, or Asian companies like shimano, building their components in asian factories, I have a problem with American companies that try to wring every last penny of profit by using cheap labor, at the expense of american labor.
Spend your money where you like, but when you loose your job, because your company can do the job cheaper overseas, then you will change your opinion.

the whole sweatshop idea is pretty out of date. those jobs are good ones. we always base our idea's on our economy.
it would be nice if asain workers were paid more but a lot of tiems they are paid ok to pretty good by the standards over there.

Originally posted by stevek
the whole sweatshop idea is pretty out of date. those jobs are good ones. we always base our idea's on our economy.
it would be nice if asain workers were paid more but a lot of tiems they are paid ok to pretty good by the standards over there.

I don't have anything bad to say about asian factories, i'm sure they build good products, what ticks me off is that, today I was at my LBS and Giant which makes ALL of their bikes in asia, their comparable models were around the same price as comparable Gary Fishers and Treks which are built in the U.S. and even the bike shop owner said that it probably costs Giant between 40 to 60 percent less to make the bikes as Trek or Gary Fisher, I'm sorry do what you like, but I know where my money is going, I'm tired of penny pinching companies. All I know is that if given the choice I will support a company that employs U.S. workers and that helps OUR economy. I want to see other countires better themselves, but not at the expense of the U.S. I'm sorry I just feel that my country comes first.

Originally posted by thomasward00
I think what this country needs right now is a little XENOPHOBIA, have you seen the unemployment rate in this country? I don't have a problem with american companies using asian factories for products sold in those markets, or Asian companies like shimano, building their components in asian factories, I have a problem with American companies that try to wring every last penny of profit by using cheap labor, at the expense of american labor.
Spend your money where you like, but when you loose your job, because your company can do the job cheaper overseas, then you will change your opinion.

Ahhh, the suggestion in your original statement was that the American (USA) product was put together by skilled craftsman and that the Asian product was put together by sweatshops. The inference from this was that the Asian product was inferior in comparison. This is a very different reason for not buying a product because you want to keep jobs in your Country.

I live "overseas", as do most of the people in this World. My company buys a lot of USA products. A side-effect of this is that we are helping to keep people in jobs over there. This is not our primary purpose in buying those products. We buy them there because, with those particular items, it happens to be the best cost ratio for the quality we require. Do you have a problem with us doing that here? We also buy local products and products from many other Countries.
If you want to buy a purely American bike (raw materials included), go ahead. The way most Countries used to protect their local industries was to apply tarrifs to imports that conflicted. That was until the USA said that we were no longer allowed to do so and that we all had to operate on a level playing field. This is that field - welcome to the real world.

Originally posted by EoinC
Ahhh, the suggestion in your original statement was that the American (USA) product was put together by skilled craftsman and that the Asian product was put together by sweatshops. The inference from this was that the Asian product was inferior in comparison. This is a very different reason for not buying a product because you want to keep jobs in your Country.

I live "overseas", as do most of the people in this World. My company buys a lot of USA products. A side-effect of this is that we are helping to keep people in jobs over there. This is not our primary purpose in buying those products. We buy them there because, with those particular items, it happens to be the best cost ratio for the quality we require. Do you have a problem with us doing that here? We also buy local products and products from many other Countries.
If you want to buy a purely American bike (raw materials included), go ahead. The way most Countries used to protect their local industries was to apply tarrifs to imports that conflicted. That was until the USA said that we were no longer allowed to do so and that we all had to operate on a level playing field. This is that field - welcome to the real world.

I do live in the real world, the fact is that the U.S. is the biggest economy in the world and that we are the biggest consumers, so all of this free trade is hurting the U.S. not the third world countries. I have no problem with foreign companies such as European or Asian building their products their and importing into the U.S. and competing, the problem that I have is American companies that at the expense of U.S. workers save money by building their product overseas in third world countries and then turning around and charging the same prices as products made here at a higher cost, and no the companies that build in the U.S. aren't stupid they are doing the right thing by their country and they still make a buck. I have no problem with other countries trying to do better for themselves, just not at our expense.

There isn't any difference. I have on of the new "silver series" gary fishers that are built in america, and it's held up just like any other bike.

I do live in the real world, the fact is that the U.S. is the biggest economy in the world and that we are the biggest consumers, so all of this free trade is hurting the U.S. not the third world countries. I have no problem with foreign companies such as European or Asian building their products their and importing into the U.S. and competing, the problem that I have is American companies that at the expense of U.S. workers save money by building their product overseas in third world countries and then turning around and charging the same prices as products made here at a higher cost, and no the companies that build in the U.S. aren't stupid they are doing the right thing by their country and they still make a buck. I have no problem with other countries trying to do better for themselves, just not at our expense.

I live in the UK and have lived here my entire life. I think that you will find that many of the "third world Asian countries" you refer to are actually VERY advanced when it comes to the manufacturing industry. Their processes are very cost efficient, and this is not because of low wages. You are comparing Asian wages to American and European wages which is a foolish thing to do because you have not taken into account the cost of living,(Food, housing, entertainment etc is very much cheaper in Asia) so relatively speaking, the workers are being paid a fair wage. I would also dispute the fact that they are sweatshop workers. Many of these are very highly skilled technicians, such as you would expect to find in America, the UK or elsewhere in the "developed world".

I think you have missed the point about free trade entirely. The whole point is that companies and factories compete for contracts on a global basis, which emans that the place that offers the best bang for the buck will get the contract. I have generally found that Asian products (and I am not just talking about bike parts here) tend to be of a lot higher quality than American products in the same price bracket. (I don't know whether the yanks ship the **** abroad or whether American manufacturing is not of a very high standard)European goods tend to be of an incredibly high standard (French, UK, German and Italian in particular) but even over here tend to carry premium prices.

I get the impression that Americans see "free trade" as other countries buying goods from worldwide sources (incl USA), but that American companies should buy and build American so to speak. Open your eyes, because you will find that other countries are better than you in certain areas. If it costs Americans so much more to do the job then why should they get the contract? You could almost argue why is it costing Trek so much to put out a bike that is only of equal quality of a Giant bike costing the same amount? Surely Treak are the ones who have mades the mistake and Giant are simply taking advantage of it. It's all part of free-trade and competition. if the Trek was so superior then nobody would buy the "overpriced" Giant would they?!

A good example is the different in speccing that UK bikes and USA bikes will come with. Your prices will generally be £100 - £300 cheaper, but will come with a much lower grade of components as stock.

If I had to choose between a bike built exclusively in Asia or a bike built exclusively in America then I would buy the Japenese bike, because the American bike would have very few components since the big 2 (shimano and campag) are based outside the US. I guess Cannondale are the exception but they are a total pain in the **** because the seem to be deliberately incompatible with every one else. Americans being Americans eh? ;-)

Regards

Dave

DISCLAIMER:-
:- This post is not intended to be racist against Americans, it is simply intended to point out to our friend Thomasward00 that he has sadly got confused.

:- All the words above, except where quotes have been used are my own.

:- By reading the above post you have waived your right to sue me on ANY grounds relating to ANY letter of the above post.

Originally posted by davebee
I live in the UK and have lived here my entire life. I think that you will find that many of the "third world Asian countries" you refer to are actually VERY advanced when it comes to the manufacturing industry. Their processes are very cost efficient, and this is not because of low wages. You are comparing Asian wages to American and European wages which is a foolish thing to do because you have not taken into account the cost of living,(Food, housing, entertainment etc is very much cheaper in Asia) so relatively speaking, the workers are being paid a fair wage. I would also dispute the fact that they are sweatshop workers. Many of these are very highly skilled technicians, such as you would expect to find in America, the UK or elsewhere in the "developed world".

I think you have missed the point about free trade entirely. The whole point is that companies and factories compete for contracts on a global basis, which emans that the place that offers the best bang for the buck will get the contract. I have generally found that Asian products (and I am not just talking about bike parts here) tend to be of a lot higher quality than American products in the same price bracket. (I don't know whether the yanks ship the **** abroad or whether American manufacturing is not of a very high standard)European goods tend to be of an incredibly high standard (French, UK, German and Italian in particular) but even over here tend to carry premium prices.

I get the impression that Americans see "free trade" as other countries buying goods from worldwide sources (incl USA), but that American companies should buy and build American so to speak. Open your eyes, because you will find that other countries are better than you in certain areas. If it costs Americans so much more to do the job then why should they get the contract? You could almost argue why is it costing Trek so much to put out a bike that is only of equal quality of a Giant bike costing the same amount? Surely Treak are the ones who have mades the mistake and Giant are simply taking advantage of it. It's all part of free-trade and competition. if the Trek was so superior then nobody would buy the "overpriced" Giant would they?!

A good example is the different in speccing that UK bikes and USA bikes will come with. Your prices will generally be £100 - £300 cheaper, but will come with a much lower grade of components as stock.

If I had to choose between a bike built exclusively in Asia or a bike built exclusively in America then I would buy the Japenese bike, because the American bike would have very few components since the big 2 (shimano and campag) are based outside the US. I guess Cannondale are the exception but they are a total pain in the **** because the seem to be deliberately incompatible with every one else. Americans being Americans eh? ;-)

Regards

Dave

DISCLAIMER:-
:- This post is not intended to be racist against Americans, it is simply intended to point out to our friend Thomasward00 that he has sadly got confused.

:- All the words above, except where quotes have been used are my own.

:- By reading the above post you have waived your right to sue me on ANY grounds relating to ANY letter of the above post.

Yes I do understand what free trade is, and let me tell you that american companies build the best product in any category. Maybe not at a very cheap price point but for high end items, and also there is a huge difference between the european countries and the quality products they produce, france and italy forget it, they may have style but are trash, U.K. okay, Germany builds the best products out of the european countries, it has always been that way. I guess it's because they have one of the best educational systems in the world, I know this because my wife is german.

give it a break american made does not mean it is good. for the same price I would not choose somethign made here. you have to spend a fair amount more.
just because it is made in america does not mean all the parts where made here, anymore it may be that none of the parts where made here.

and let me tell you that american companies build the best product in any category. there is a huge difference between the european countries and the quality products they produce, france and italy forget it, they may have style but are trash, U.K. okay, Germany builds the best products out of the european countries, it has always been that way.

Ooooowhee! I guess all of us in the other place (that is, whatever that place is that is not the USA) might as well realise the error of our ways and stop trying to produce anything of any quality. Were we really serious thinking that somehow the 5,937,000,000 people (nationsonline.org) who don't live in the USA could possibly produce the best of anything?
So sad for all the people of France and Italy to know that, whilst they may have style, everything they make is trash. Still, perhaps it is better for us to realise our folly and just get back to concentrating on importing USA products so that we can have some quality in our lives.
I'll head out and take my track bike to the dump right away - I just never realised how bad it was. Can you believe it, there is not one USA-made component on it? And to think that, in my delusional state, I actually enjoyed riding it!
Thankyou for opening my eyes to my substandard lifestyle.

have fun.

Yes I do understand what free trade is, and let me tell you that american companies build the best product in any category. Maybe not at a very cheap price point but for high end items, and also there is a huge difference between the european countries and the quality products they produce, france and italy forget it, they may have style but are trash, U.K. okay, Germany builds the best products out of the european countries, it has always been that way. I guess it's because they have one of the best educational systems in the world, I know this because my wife is german.

I advise you avoid using any components made by shimano, Campagnolo, Hope, Marzocchi then as they have all been engineered outside the USA.

Originally posted by thomasward00 " what has totally shocked me is that most companies make their bikes in asia, now I know that department store bikes and lower priced bikes like my 300 dollar Fisher are made in asia, but mine is assembled and the frame is painted here. Big companies like Giant,... "

Giant bicycles are made in asia, Taiwan actually, because they are a Taiwanese company, prat.

Has there ever been a American bike in the Tour De France which is 100 % american??

G'day,

Is this the stupidest thread ever?......Probably......It would appear that the thread starter needs to come to terms with the term 'Global economy'. To assume that anything that is made outside the 'Good ol' US of A' is trash, belies logic. Just a thought though guys, If Trek or Cannondale or any other company in any industry, for that matter, is listed on the stock exchange....who owns the majority of the shares?.....check it out & then tell us they are a US company!.....lets go ridin' rather than arguin',

cheers,

Hitchy

Originally posted by bag_head [/i]
Has there ever been a American bike in the Tour De France which is 100 % american??

I'm just trying to get hold of Lance to let him know that his bike is festooned with "trash". I hate bringing him down like that. Hold on......no, his line's busy. He's probably already out their stripping the groupset off it.

It's amazing when I look out my window at the city I live in and think "It's all trash - I know because I have been enlightened".
Where is the application form we have to fill in to be registered as a non-continental State of the USA. I sure could do with some of that quality I've been missing out on.

I too am in the market for a new FS bike and would like to keep my hard earned dollars in the U.S. You all have lost track of this thread.There are hundreds of bikes all of top quality listed in the MBA Mag. The problem is that alot of these American based companys have sold out the American worker and as I see it if im to spend 1500-2000 on a new bike it will be for an American made bike.

If our goal is to buy an American made bike from and American company then our choices are very limmited,and in my price range may be out of reach.

Richard:(

I too am in the market for a new FS bike and would like to keep my hard earned dollars in the U.S. You all have lost track of this thread..........If our goal is to buy an American made bike from and American company then our choices are very limmited,and in my price range may be out of reach.

Richard

1) Your preference to buy locally-made is commendable, Richard, however, as you note further down, there may be a premium associated with this. It is your choice whether to accept this or not. There are plenty of reasons why that premium exists - largely based around living standards / cost of living, but (sometimes) including efficiency.
2) The reason that the thread developed the way it did was that there was an inference in the original posting (see the "sweatshop in Taiwan" comment) that "foreign" products were inferior. This was later confirmed by the poster in the statement (I would call it a generalisation) that America makes the best products in any category, and that French and Italian products are "trash".
3) The Global Economy / Free Trade / No Tariffs push finds is, in a large part, driven by the Government of the United States of America. This would suggest that they see a nett gain in establishing the "level playing field" (ie the benefits to USA Exports would outway the opening up of Imports). If the availability of locally-made bikes in your price range has suffered because of this, they (or the Manufacturers) are who you should be speaking with.

Have fun.

I shopped at my LOCAL bike shop to buy a Giant OCR1, FeltF60, Specialized Epic, and Santa Cruz Blur. 3 of the bikes were made in Taiwan, but the LOCAL bike shop got my business. Who says the welders in America are better than the welders in Taiwan?

The Taiwanese bikes were better bang for the buck against their competition: better groupsets, bars, etc. Saving the $$$ on the Taiwanese bikes allowed me to walk into my LOCAL grocery store and buy a little extra there. It balances.

Cannondale, Trek, and Gary Fisher doesn't get my money because they can't compete.