American rider touring Europe on a recumbent bike

Mihai

Feb 16, 2004
Last summer I had the change to host in my hometown Bucharest/Romania a friend of mine, US veteran tourer Mark Boyd who was riding a Bachetta Giro recumbent bike in a mammouth tour of Central and Eastern Europe.

Pictures and story (in Romanian) here.

recumbent-bike-bicicleta-orizontala.jpg

Nice! I don't speak Romanian, but I do own several Romanian firearms (Cugir manufactured).

Reactions: Mihai
That's cool, Bob! Never thought the Cugir firearms were exported in the Western world. Back here, Cugir is most famous for its fine sewing machines (manufactured in the same factory).

They have been selling the semi-automatic (not full auto) Cugir, Romarms and RomTechnika Kalashnikov AKM and AK74 rifles here in the States since the early 1990's. We have also been able to buy your military surplus .22 LR military training bolt-action rifles (model 1969) and .22 LR single-shot bolt-action target rifles. Various Romanian military and police pistols have been sold here and the Tokarev 7.62 x 25 model is selling well here right now to collectors and sport shooters. In fact, one of our local distributors is currently sold out of them:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3TTCROM

In addition to the Belarus and Zetor (Czech) tractors that can be found on a few farms in my area there are some Romanian-built or at least partially sourced models. Replacement parts for all of the Eastern European tractors are difficult to come by as dealer support is almost non-existent. There is a small niche market for these machines among collectors.

I've been reading a little of your blog. It looks like the Romanian cycling scene is getting more popular all the time.

Last summer I had the change to host in my hometown Bucharest/Romania a friend of mine, US veteran tourer Mark Boyd who was riding a Bachetta Giro recumbent bike in a mammouth tour of Central and Eastern Europe.

A prostratebicyclepermits you to work out your thighs, calves, and glute muscles with less strain. It features amore extensive and lower situate than an upright bicycle. Also, prostratebicycles put less strain on your joints, which is perfect for those with joint pain, and are much less demanding to adjust on and sit comfortably.