Americans ONLY: Do you really care who foreigners think we should elect President?

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by szbert, Oct 27, 2004.

1. szbert

szbert New Member

I don't recall ever being polled who should be PM of Great Britain, Chancellor of Germany, President of France or Grand Poobah of Timbuktu. Frankly, that's up to them.

So when voting for president, are you influenced by what foreigners think? Or do you think for yourself?

Tags:

2. skydive69

skydive69 New Member

I would have rather seen a category entitled, "I could give a flying f u c k what foreigners think of whom we should elect as President!"

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

You can look at it that way or see it as a form of flattery. After all we are getting all the attention. I guess at least we are not boring.

4. byron27

byron27 New Member

I guess you must be right.

Ever watched funniest home video?

Thats the rest of the world watching America.

5. Shreklookalike

Shreklookalike New Member

I'm just wondering why you didn't post an poll option that actually reflected the question posed by your thread title. There's a difference between caring what foreigners feel and letting that feeling be the deciding factor in your vote.

6. Ruedy

Ruedy New Member

I voted no but, it just might be good to elect whomever the foreigners DON'T want as our president......In order to to that ya gotta know who the foreigners want.

7. Gilders

Gilders New Member

Well, alot of us in the UK are very interested to know what happens post Nov 2nd for a number of obvious reasons, primarily and obviously that it will in all probability have a big impact upon the direction of future foreign policy, global political alliances and quite possibly upon the governmental make-up of a number of nation-states. Not giving a political opinion here - it is only right that you choose your leader and you alone - but don't lose sight of how important this election will be not only domestically for you, but also for a sizeable chunk of the rest of the globe.

Interestingly for many Brits / Europeans however, wil also be to see if it really will be a case of lose-lose for Blair come early morning of November 3rd (or whenever judicial process is finalized) and the US President is announced. Some of the press here are saying he'll be isolated on the political stage regardless of the outcome and that he's burnt too many bridges, both internationally and domestically, to regain trust and respect among electorate and peers. I guess only time will tell.

8. Gilders

Gilders New Member

lol - but Ruedy, can you trust us damn foreigners to give you an honest answer to that question...?!

9. Ruedy

Ruedy New Member

Good point Gilders, funny. Hope you're not putting the word damn in my mouth. My post wasn't made in that light, "damn foreigners" that is.

I was only trying to get a laugh from someone. Glad I got one from you.

I know one thing, for sure though. I'm damn tired of all the politicing!

10. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Yes , it is of vital importance. I would especially need consent/approval from the french before making any final decision. Vote or have your children drafted by the "chickenhawks".

11. zapper

zapper Banned

Foreigners particularly those from Ireland(limerickman) like to live the American dream electronically or perhaps one might call it "virtual citizenship". They think they know whats best for our country and take great pride in their attempts to lecture Mericans on merica's shortcomings. However, it gives them something to do while pulling potatoes and drinking ale. :rolleyes

12. zapper

zapper Banned

Don't you mean you have to consult your "crystal bong"???? :p

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

It's Merkins - that's what Bush calls you - "my fellow merkins".
    Merkin - defined as : A Pubic Wig for Women. (look it up - the word I mean, not to see if she uses a wig !).
    Bush/merkin.

But seriously - fairs fair, Bush won.
    The people have spoken.

14. zapper

zapper Banned

Oh..I thought I heard mericans...

Yes, fair is fair, bush won. But...You have to admit, it was fun while it lasted....

15. davidmc

davidmc New Member

No need to apologize to me, w/ that sig of your's, apologize to your kid's :D -$400,000,000,000 (that's billion) budget deficit under bush :eek:

16. Beastt

Beastt New Member

Aside from the obvious slant in both the opening post and the voting options, thinking for one's self doesn't mean that the thoughts of others should automatically be excluded or discounted. As the decisions made in America, perhaps more than any other country, affect the world, it certainly doesn't hurt to hear what the rest of the world thinks, and why, before making one's own personal decision.

17. davidmc

davidmc New Member

Yeah, who do these geniuses think we trade with :confused: It's an incentive for them to hasten their entry into the EU so they can counterbalance bush's (by proxy-America's) constant references to god & embarking on war's of choice. All they have to do then is call in some of their loan's (trade surplus's-china comes to mind) or investment's & America will be in a shitstorm of epic "end day's" proportion's. :eek:

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Agreed !
    W've got to go with the vote - whether we like it or not.

19. Beastt

Beastt New Member

True. Even though in the 2000 election, we didn't go with the vote. Such irony that democracy itself is being voted out. Creatures of ignorance and pure selfishness will almost always manage to cage themselves.

20. Saucy

Saucy New Member

I think this is the first intelligent post I've seen in the soapbox in like 3 weeks.