Aminos/Glutamine

MaxPrime

Jul 20, 2003
What's the verdict on taking Glutamine? I've read that your body cannot absorb it from a pill, only synthesize it from the proper aminos - which leads me to . . .

What's the verdict on Amino Acid supplements? I don't take any supplements except a small dose of aminos everyday to keep things like glutamine on tap. Comments?

If I were taking L-Glutamine I would get it in a powder form, with nothing else in the formula. It should contain around 5g per serving. It's not going to be very (if at all) benificial for enhancing endurance during activity. I do however feel it could help individuals who are not getting enough glutamine in the food they are regularly eating.

Facts:
  • It is the most abundant amino acid found in skeletal muscles.
  • Prolonged high-intensity exercise has been shown to decrease glutamine levels, which may result in glutamine deficiency*.
Opinions:
  • Some feel it helps maintain a healthy immune system.
  • Glutamine plays a pivotal role in the nitrogen balance in the body. (no scientific evidence to prove this)
The issue with absorbtion is pretty relevant with all suppliments. Powders are generally absorbed better than capsules.

*What I would like to know is the side effects of glutamine deficiency.

Hope this helps out some. :)

here is a link, i find that when i desolve l glutamine with carbodrinks whilst on my rides my legs don't suffer the same fatigue from lactate formation, i find that i can sprint for longer and i find it more beneficial to me than creatine.

along with Vit B complex and vitamin C your wasting your time without them, since vit B is required to complete the process.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=122

Glutamine is highly in demand throughout the body. It is used in the immune system extensively to maintain optimal performance. 60% of free-form amino acids floating in skeletal muscles is L-glutamine.
L-glutamine plays a very important role in protein metabolism, and it appears to be a very important nutrient for athletes. When taken as a supplement, it helps reduce the amount of muscle deterioration that occurs because other tissues that need glutamine will not deplete the glutamine stored in the muscle cells.

Catabolism is the breaking down of your muscles, which is something that you don't want to happen. Doing cardio or aerobic activity could have a catabolic effect on your muscles. Your body needs something to burn for energy when you run, cycle, take an aerobics class or do any other form of cardio. This is where L-Glutamine comes into play. Since it is an "Anti-catabolic" it will allow you to maintain as much muscle as possible and prevents muscle cell breakdown.