Amish Road Apple Ride route sheet and map.

Dave Is Here

Guest
Fellow cyclists,

The 3rd annual ARAR is planned for April 26th. It starts in Macomb Illinois at the K-Mart
store at 9:00.

Road Apples are what the Amish buggies leave behind on the road. The route is 49 miles in length
and takes you past many Amish settlements. Measure the traffic in cars per ride not cars passing
per minute.

The route will be marked and route sheets will be available. The route sheet and map are available
at: www.doctorvision.com/arar03/

A century route is available and is a sactioned www.big-dogs.org ride. The Century starts at 8:00.

Last year we had only 2 bents.

Dave Balfour

dave is here wrote:

> Fellow cyclists,
>
> The 3rd annual ARAR is planned for April 26th. It starts in Macomb Illinois at the K-Mart store
> at 9:00.
>
> Road Apples are what the Amish buggies leave behind on the road. The route is 49 miles in length
> and takes you past many Amish settlements. Measure the traffic in cars per ride not cars passing
> per minute.
>
> The route will be marked and route sheets will be available. The route sheet and map are available
> at: www.doctorvision.com/arar03/
>
> A century route is available and is a sactioned www.big-dogs.org ride. The Century starts at 8:00.
>
> Last year we had only 2 bents.
>
> Dave Balfour

I was there last year and can testify that "semi-solid horse emissions" were indeed observed at
several places on the paved portion of the public right-of-way on the route.

> I was there last year and can testify that "semi-solid horse emissions" were indeed observed at
> several places on the paved portion of the public right-of-way on the route.

The town of Loyal, WI, tried to pass an ordinance requiring that horses used for transportation
along the public right-of-way wear diapers.

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/tony/snow041702.asp scroll to the second feature. You can't make
this stuff up.

I have ridden the Clark County rural roads described and the horse-puckey slalom is something you
get used to.

Sounds like a fair-weather ride only ;-)

o o Chris Champion
.\_-.\_-.o Vision R40 SWB
( ) () Double Vision R85

> I was there last year and can testify that "semi-solid horse emissions" were indeed observed at
> several places on the paved portion of the public right-of-way on the route.

"dave is here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Fellow cyclists,
>
> The 3rd annual ARAR is planned for April 26th. It starts in Macomb Illinois at the K-Mart store
> at 9:00.
>
> Road Apples are what the Amish buggies leave behind on the road. The route is 49 miles in length
> and takes you past many Amish settlements. Measure the traffic in cars per ride not cars passing
> per minute.
> . . .

Tell me about it. The farm-to-market roads that turn the otherwise pretty disagreeable northwestern
part of Pennsylvania into a cycling paradise are also the barn-to-field roads used by leaky manure
spreaders this time of year.

The GTO wears all three fenders, and the full face shield comes out of the bag.

Phew!

Fred

Fred Klingener wrote:

> "dave is here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Fellow cyclists,
> >
> > The 3rd annual ARAR is planned for April 26th. It starts in Macomb Illinois at the K-Mart store
> > at 9:00.
> >
> > Road Apples are what the Amish buggies leave behind on the road. The route is 49 miles in length
> > and takes you past many Amish settlements. Measure the traffic in cars per ride not cars passing
> > per minute.
> > . . .
>
> Tell me about it. The farm-to-market roads that turn the otherwise pretty disagreeable
> northwestern part of Pennsylvania into a cycling paradise are also the barn-to-field roads used by
> leaky manure spreaders this time of year.
>
> The GTO wears all three fenders, and the full face shield comes out of the bag.
>
> Phew!
>
> Fred

So people are not discouraged from attending Dave's ride, the piles of horse manure were actually
not that prevalent and easily avoided.

"dave is here" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Chris Champion) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Sounds like a fair-weather ride only ;-)
> >

> It really isn't that bad. Nothing worse than any other dirt. More of a conversation point.

Road apples are quite a different matter than the aftermath of a leaky barn-to-field spreader. Not
that bad, and easy to see and avoid.

There are worse things. Pig barns are the worst. My timing is horrible; I always seem to crest a
hill, breathing really hard, only to find someone cleaning out a pig barn or a chicken enclosure.

I'd take road apples anytime in preference to that.

[email protected] (dave is here) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Fellow cyclists,
>
> The 3rd annual ARAR is planned for April 26th. It starts in Macomb Illinois at the K-Mart store
> at 9:00.
>
> Road Apples are what the Amish buggies leave behind on the road. The route is 49 miles in length
> and takes you past many Amish settlements. Measure the traffic in cars per ride not cars passing
> per minute.
>

> The route will be marked and route sheets will be available. The route sheet and map are available
> at: www.doctorvision.com/arar03/
>
> A century route is available and is a sactioned www.big-dogs.org ride. The Century starts at 8:00.
>
> Last year we had only 2 bents.
>
> Dave Balfour

One thing that Dave did not share with you about the "road apples" prevalent in the Amish
communities is that if he chooses to ride his Wishbone, they present no problem to him, since at
his speed he literally flies over the terrain. Last year at Arcola I don't think his wheels hit
the ground more than twice during the entire ride. For the rest of us, travelling at sub
supersonic speeds, the road apples still don't create problems. You have plenty of time to avoid
them. Of course, if you like to ski moguls, then you have the opportunity to try something similar
on a bicycle!

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.