ammonia scent?

stilesiii

Aug 31, 2005
What could cause an ammonia scent after a long workout?

I've noticed an ammonia scent in my nose after some of my longer efforts, any clue?

Bacterial by products from the sweat?
(commonly known as body odour)
*no offence*:eek:
sometimes I stink like I've fallen through a skip full of cheese and onion pasties.:eek:
Could be other compounds coming out in the sweat too.
From wiki about garlic. Other foods can affect sweat smell differently.
When eaten in quantity, garlic may be strongly evident in the diner's sweat and breath the following day. This is because garlic's strong smelling sulfur compounds are metabolized forming allyl methyl sulfide. Allyl methyl sulfide (AMS) cannot be digested and is passed into the blood. It is carried to the lungs and the skin where it is excreted. Since digestion takes several hours, and release of AMS several hours more, the effect of eating garlic may be present for a long time.
never had ammonia, what you eating? mind you its not as hot where I live.

stilesiii said:
What could cause an ammonia scent after a long workout?

I've noticed an ammonia scent in my nose after some of my longer efforts, any clue?
Catabolism.

Not good.

(This question should be stickied.)

Dondare said:
Catabolism.

Not good.

(This question should be stickied.)
Thanks. It has only happen 2 or 3 times, once after a 30 miler and this morning after running a 10k.

I guess I need to load heavier, or do a better job of dosing the effort.

it could also mean that your body is a state of ketosis -- where you have been burning fat instead of food. The amoniea smell is a bi-product when your body burns ketones for fuel.

Catabolism yes, fat-burning, no. Burning ketones does not produce a characteristic ammonia smell, as ammonia is nitrogenous in nature. Nitrogenous byproducts of cellular metabolism tell you that you have begun to break down proteins (amino acid chains - amine=nitrogen group) for energy.
This can be due to a number of factors - primarily having too low of muscle glycogen levels, or not having enough carbohydrate included in your diet. Conditions like these can occur after intense efforts either above your normal training zones or longer in duration than usual. I have noticed that when body fat percentages get very low, this tends to happen more easily as well, but do not have scientific rationale behind that thought - just my own experiences.

To solve the issue, make sure that you are including sufficient carbohydrates in your diet. Especially important will be the complex carbohydrates found in whole grains and low-glycemic fruits. Eating such foods in the hours before an event or difficult training session are key to priming your metabolism for exercise. Also, don't down a "power shake" containing copious amounts of protein before a ride, as your body will be more likely to begin to burn this protein for energy once glycogen levels become low enough. Leave protein (in roughly a 4:1 carb:protein ratio) for your post ride snack/meal - it will serve your body much better.

So, don't go carb crazy and jam down 300 or 400 grams pre-ride, but I'd increase your levels a bit (such as an extra piece of whole wheat toast, or a grapefruit with your pre ride meal.)
Also, perhaps rest a little more between your harder days to ensure that your glycogen levels are being repleted fully (glycogenesis). Drink plenty of water to help aid in glycogen uptake into your muscle cells.

As a side note, to train your body to better metabolize fat on longer rides and/or higher intensities, look into "bonk-training" once or twice a month - it can work wonders for some people.

Good luck, happy riding!

Thanks Spinner.

I usually eat pretty good prior to heavy works.

I didn't bonk, but an hour or so after the run I was definitely playing carbo/calorie catch up.

Chocolate milk. I tried it as a recovery drink yesterday and found it to be very effective.

Feeling good today.

Ammonia means proteins or amino acids are being broken down. These could be your own muscle tissue or the steak you had for lunch. Ketones smell "fruity".

I'm a chemist, I know these things.

Don Shipp said:
Ammonia means proteins or amino acids are being broken down. These could be your own muscle tissue or the steak you had for lunch. Ketones smell "fruity".

I'm a chemist, I know these things.
So if I'm taking L-Arginine supplement an hour before the event, that could explain things?

spinner32 said:
Catabolism yes, fat-burning, no. Burning ketones does not produce a characteristic ammonia smell

He is right. i would occasionlly have to ride inside due to snow/ice on the roads and i would smell ammonia in my towel. i knew what is was and i took a shot of gel. but now im low-carb dieting and i never smell NH4. by the way, just for fun, you should low carb for about 20-30 days. then eat frosted flakes. you will have a most pleasing experience on the toilet. SIGH!!! what relief!! ha ha ha