Amonia Smell?

FloydLandis

Jun 13, 2006
I was wondering if anyone knew the technical reason why after a good long ride i smell of amonia. It's to the point where i could probably wring out my gear and decently clean the kitchen.

FloydLandis said:
I was wondering if anyone knew the technical reason why after a good long ride i smell of amonia. It's to the point where i could probably wring out my gear and decently clean the kitchen.
Catabolism.

FloydLandis said:

Search and ye shall find... both here and google.

Consuming protein for fuel, most likely because you had insufficient carbs available.

FloydLandis said:
:) Hi Floyd, I used to have the same probleme, the Amonia smell got so bad that all my cyling close smell all the time.So i did some research & to be honest there is not much info on this subject and one day i received on e-mail from someone, know it's my turn to share it with you. :cool: Don't be too alarmed: the smell of Amonia in sweat is common among cylists & runners . Ammonia comes from the breakdown of amino acids within the body. It is made up of nitrogen & hydrogen.The hydrogen atoms are converted to glucose & used as fuel.The nitrogen is a waste product that needs tobe excreted by the body, & is processed in the kidneys to form urea that is excretd in urine. If there is too much nitrogen for your kidneys to deal with, it will be excreted as Ammonia in your sweat. One factor to consider is WATER intake. If you are consuming adequate fluid ,the ammonia will be DILUTED-a decrease in the concentration will result in a less potent smell of ammonia. One way to be sure you are drinking enough fluid is to ensure your urine is clear. Many people mistakenly beleive ammonie sweat means that their protein intake is not enough. the body will only utilise protein for enrgy when it does not have sufficient supply of fats & carbohydrates.Muscles can use glucose & fat for energy, but the brain requires glucose. If you find the smll of ammonia persist try a low glycemic index carbohydrate, before your w/o & during prolonge exercices drink a sports drink to fuel your muscles (Dextrose mix with maltodextrine) toprevent amino acids being burn as Energy. Don't forget the body needs carb's to burn FAT. This article was publist by Jane Newman ,Sports Physiotherapist & Ultra Runner in ( Runnersword.UK). I hope you find this info help your little problem,all the best to you , Musher:p